PDA

View Full Version : Pro Star 200 Outboard

Drew77
09-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Looking for some info/Feedback...Looking to purchase 88/89 20' Pro star Outboard. It needs alot of work, but seems to be in good shape considering it has been abandoned for the past 4 years. I am looking to do a complete restoration with a few modern modifications. I live at the beach, therefore the outboard is very appealing. Some of the things im interested in finding out is techinical, is the boat 100% composite or are the stringers and deck wood? I would like to re-power the vessel, will the transom hold up to the weight of a newer 4-stroke o/b or will the transom need to be reinforced. Would like to hang a 175-200hp on it. Where would the serial# number be located on it. I have attached some photos, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Andy

mikeg205
09-07-2012, 10:16 AM
The hull ID must be located rear starboard on transom....

http://nasbla.org/files/public/Enf%20&%20Training/NASBLA%20HIN%20comp.pdf

I would check with Evinrude they appear to have to lightest outboards available.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Cool project boat. I have no answers, but look forward to seeing this boat come back to life.

Jim@BAWS
09-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Looking for some info/Feedback...Looking to purchase 88/89 20' Pro star Outboard. It needs alot of work, but seems to be in good shape considering it has been abandoned for the past 4 years. I am looking to do a complete restoration with a few modern modifications. I live at the beach, therefore the outboard is very appealing. Some of the things im interested in finding out is techinical, is the boat 100% composite or are the stringers and deck wood? I would like to re-power the vessel, will the transom hold up to the weight of a newer 4-stroke o/b or will the transom need to be reinforced. Would like to hang a 175-200hp on it. Where would the serial# number be located on it. I have attached some photos, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Andy

That is not an 88/89

Probably 86/87 at the most...Check hull ID #

I have the graphics for the boat if needed from 1986

Jim@BAWS

Stingers are steel...back of seats and combing pads are wood...that is all the wood in the boat

Drew77
09-07-2012, 02:57 PM
That is not an 88/89

Probably 86/87 at the most...Check hull ID #

I have the graphics for the boat if needed from 1986

Jim@BAWS

Stingers are steel...back of seats and combing pads are wood...that is all the wood in the boat

Thanks, appreciate the info...still in the process of acquiring the boat. It has been abandoned by the owner, trying to convince the storage/marina to put a mechanics lien on the boat. Do you have any experience with that since you are in the business. I have the kast know contact info for the owner but have been unsuccessful in reaching them. The storage fee to this point is $1500.00, would be a pretty good deal since the trailer was bought brand new in 09 and probably only has about 50 Miles on it.

mcparadise
09-07-2012, 03:44 PM
What about the original engine? Do you plan to take that out (if it has one)? Do you also remove the engine cover since it is now longer needed and can increase main deck space? I'm curious on the effect on how she will handle with such a major change of weight and center of gravity/b\ouancy...?

EricB
09-07-2012, 04:04 PM
mcparadise;
The boat came from MC as an outboard (not inboard). It was designed and produced the way you see it from the factory.

barefoot
09-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Yes, the transom should hold a 200 OB. As long as it's in good condition, it shouldn't be an issue.

What are you primarily doing with the boat?

ricford
09-07-2012, 06:13 PM
First thing to do is get rid of that tower. Yuck! It totally ruins the lines of a beautiful boat. If you ever want to wakeboard behind it get an extended pylon.

mtajpa
09-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Repowering with a 200 four stroke will set you back a good chunk of change. New 200 is about $17000.00. Alot of good prostars out there.

orbeamlb
09-08-2012, 01:18 AM

If that boat has the original graphics it's likely an '86 model. Color schemes and the hull changed in '87 (same deck though). My '88 ProStar 200 has a Mercury 200XRi so yes, you should be able to put a 200 on the one you're looking at. These boats have no wood in the hulls and are very solid. Several outboard MC's have been popping up on Team Talk lately.

BROUSSARD
09-23-2012, 11:11 PM
First thing to do is get rid of that tower. Yuck! It totally ruins the lines of a beautiful boat. If you ever want to wakeboard behind it get an extended pylon.

I agree, but I assume the boat in your avatar is yours? GET RID OF YOUR TOWER!

orbeamlb
09-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Andy, did you end up with the boat?