PDA

View Full Version : Zero Off and PP agreement

CantRepeat
09-07-2012, 08:31 AM
I was looking around on the zero off page this morning and came across this little item.

About Zero Off & Perfect Pass?

In May of 2008 Zero Off & Perfect Pass signed an agreement that states;
1) Perfect Pass will not offer drive by wire systems to boat OEM’s beginning 2009 boat model year.
2) Perfect Pass will not offer retrofit systems for 2009 model year for drive by wire applications.
3) Perfect Pass is licensed to sell Star Gazer to its existing customer base until the beginning of 2009 boat model year.
4) Zero Off will not retrofit mechanically/servo driven applications.

I guess this means no more PP for 09 boats and newer and no zero off retrofits for older boats. Strange, but I guess that ensures each company has control over each part of the market and they wont have to compete with each other.

jk13
09-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Wow, that's strange. Sounds like a good deal for Zero Off moving forward, but a little short sighted on Perfect Pass' part, especially losing the OEM.

About 10 years ago we dealt with two different companies for aftermarket automotive cruise controls. While there was no agreement like above, one company held fast to upgrading the older style universal mechanical cruise, while the other put all their r&d into new market electronic integration and held onto their existing universal system. One of those companies closed the doors four years ago. I'll let you guess which one.

Hopefully PP has other plans for revenue, because the market for people updating older boats cannot be as big as losing every single new boat sale.

I wonder if this is for 3-event boats only? I thought PP was still an option on some wake boats.???

sk8salomon
09-07-2012, 10:13 PM
out with the old, in with the new...what's next, more letters and numbers to add to the system? "ok, i'll take F7 36mph" ;)...at least i don't have to ask my boat crew weight anymore.

east tx skier
09-08-2012, 12:30 AM
Perfect Pass also got a license to Zero Off's GPS tech. This probably resulted in the more recent pure GPS system and, ultimately the Zbox add on to SG. As for retrofitting ZO to earlier boats, there are companies doing that as well. Of course, in some instances, that requires a new engine.