PDA

View Full Version : 350 MCX - block and head casting numbers

lazyade
09-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Anyone know the 350 block and head casting numbers? We might have to get a new engine for our project, but we need to make sure we get the right engine. Are the head and block casting IDs the same for all the Mastercraft 350 engines?

Cheers.
Adrian

mikeg205
09-06-2012, 06:55 PM
What's wrong with the current engine?

lazyade
09-06-2012, 07:00 PM
What's wrong with the current engine?

Ah, see my other post... http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=50535

snork
09-06-2012, 07:04 PM
it turned into a deep salt water buoy weight

mikeg205
09-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Ah, see my other post... http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=50535

oh...nevermind... yikes. as long is it looks better than this...

snork
09-06-2012, 07:26 PM
^^^^ theres a block that might be worth something

ranger098
09-07-2012, 01:17 PM
that burned boat is insane. just remember it could always be worse!

i would get your current engine to an engine rebuilder and have them look at it before forking over the money for a new block. i cant tell you what the casting numbers are, but youd be surprised what an engine rebuilder can do. often the engines will look worse than they really are.

if you do in fact need a new engine, you just need a vortec 350 engine block. But it also looks like you could benefit from a whole new complete motor too, because things like alternator and starter and intake manifold and other bolt ons might be ruined too if they swam in salt water. go to www.michiganmotorz.com. they have new and rebuilt short blocks, long blocks, and complete engines ready to drop in (for 8 grand though).

youll hear mixed opinions from everyone about using a non marine block, but even though you can find them cheaper i think its best to spend the extra money and get a marine block. its alot of messing around trying to convert a non marine block to a marine block anyway, and youll have plenty of work to do aside from that.

keep us updated! i just did a similar rebuild on my boat, though mine didnt sink it was used in salt water and engine hydrolocked.

Rossterman
09-07-2012, 08:42 PM
that burned boat is insane. just remember it could always be

youll hear mixed opinions from everyone about using a non marine block, but even though you can find them cheaper i think its best to spend the extra money and get a marine block. its alot of messing around trying to convert a non marine block to a marine block anyway, and youll have plenty of work to do aside from that.

keep us updated! i just did a similar rebuild on my boat, though mine didnt sink it was used in salt water and engine hydrolocked.

Interesting-i didnt think there was any difference in the block, heads, and internals. What specifically is different other than maybe the cam? And how do you tell the difference?

Thanks!
Ross

lazyade
09-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Pulled the engine out today (all in one with transmission). I've checked the engine block and the casting number is 10239906 and the heads are 10243880. Anyone recognise these as the Indmar 350 MCX block and head casting numbers?

Cheers.

Adrian

Rossterman
09-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Here's a link to the specs on the head ( your block and head casting numbers are switched in your post). Searched the block number as well. Block is 1995-2000 block with roller cam and singlempiece seal. You can search on that part number to see what cars it was used in as well. Not sure if indmar used a custom cam but potentially you can salvage yours or buy a aftermarket torque cam if the one coming in the replacement block is milder.

Also my 2001 310hp predator block has the same casting number as yours. But My heads don't have the sawtooth profile shown in the cylinder head link below. They have a single camel hump like the ones on my 1970 lt1 360hp 350 but are vortech bolt pattern. I've seen the same one on the marine engine pictured here: http://www.michiganmotorz.com/vortec-marine-engine-1996current-p-68.html

Link on heads: http://www.chevymania.com/tech/vortec.htm

petermegan
09-08-2012, 08:22 PM
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...258380878.html

Just an option for you from the for sale post. Obviously needs reconditioning but may be same vintage as yours. Have Fun.

JimN
09-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Pulled the engine out today (all in one with transmission). I've checked the engine block and the casting number is 10239906 and the heads are 10243880. Anyone recognise these as the Indmar 350 MCX block and head casting numbers?

Cheers.

Adrian

Indmar doesn't have their own casting numbers- those are all GM numbers and nobody, other than MC and Indmar, uses MCX, LTR or Predator names for identifying an engine. Those are marketing/boat designations.

lazyade
09-10-2012, 08:38 AM
One other questions (that will help me in my quest to find a new lump)! What HP is the Indmar 350 MCX engine? Is it 350 HP as the name suggests (or is that just the capacity)? I can see lots of automotive blocks at around 290HP, but I suspect they are the older blocks (it seems at though the later blocks are more HP, froma combination of the vortec heads and better induction through fuel injection). But let me know if I'm wrong!

Cheers... Adrian

JimN
09-10-2012, 08:43 AM
One other questions (that will help me in my quest to find a new lump)! What HP is the Indmar 350 MCX engine? Is it 350 HP as the name suggests (or is that just the capacity)? I can see lots of automotive blocks at around 290HP, but I suspect they are the older blocks (it seems at though the later blocks are more HP, froma combination of the vortec heads and better induction through fuel injection). But let me know if I'm wrong!

Cheers... Adrian

350 refers to the engine's displacement. IIRC, the HP is 330, like the LTR.

lazyade
09-11-2012, 03:06 AM
Here's a link to the specs on the head ( your block and head casting numbers are switched in your post). Searched the block number as well. Block is 1995-2000 block with roller cam and singlempiece seal. You can search on that part number to see what cars it was used in as well. Not sure if indmar used a custom cam but potentially you can salvage yours or buy a aftermarket torque cam if the one coming in the replacement block is milder.

Also my 2001 310hp predator block has the same casting number as yours. But My heads don't have the sawtooth profile shown in the cylinder head link below. They have a single camel hump like the ones on my 1970 lt1 360hp 350 but are vortech bolt pattern. I've seen the same one on the marine engine pictured here: http://www.michiganmotorz.com/vortec-marine-engine-1996current-p-68.html

Link on heads: http://www.chevymania.com/tech/vortec.htm

Thanks Rossterman, Michiganmotorz have been very helpful and they ship to the UK, looks like we'll get a recon long block from then; and then over the winter we'll see what we can do with our current block.

Rossterman
09-11-2012, 07:44 AM
Thanks Rossterman, Michiganmotorz have been very helpful and they ship to the UK, looks like we'll get a recon long block from then; and then over the winter we'll see what we can do with our current block.

Lazyade,
Looking at their site, i'd probably opt to buy the new engine rather than the remanufactured one as only $400 more and you get all new parts. Warranty may also be longer and might be easier to get any warranty work done in country if the engine is a factory gm crate engine vs. rebuilt by an independent vendor in the us.