PDA

View Full Version : 1984 1984 VM Trailer questions -- wheels and bearings

strad
09-06-2012, 02:14 PM
The trailer came without a spare -- I'd like to rectify that. And I've got to pull the trailer 550 miles to get it to my house. Before I do that, I'd like to service the bearings. It has bearing buddy stickers on the trailer, so it's a good assumption that's the type of setup it has.

So, diy on bearing buddy service, and any tips you guys have,
and what wheels will fit on that trailer -- is it the type of wheel that is trailer-specific or can we get a wheel from something else for use as a spare.

I've already pulled the trailer (with the boat on it) 80 miles with no problems, so the fundamentals appear to be there.

mikeg205
09-06-2012, 02:19 PM
If you're really concerned - I would pull bearing buddy out and inspect spindle and back plate. This shows the basics. Look on the tires to see how old they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUTpn-e6sGA

Most trailer stores and tire stores should be able to get you a wheel and tire. Everyone here has their favorite tires and least favorites...

I would just add some grease to the buddies if they seem like they haven't had any in awhile... look for grease spatter on the back side to see if seal is worn.

Post some pictures.

strad
09-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Yes there is grease splatter on at least one side if not both. Not a terrible amount but it's there.

Tires are junk -- they're going in the trash lol.

I will work on the pics. Trailer is 541 miles from me atm so it might be awhile. My plan is to head up there on a weekend when the boat is finished, throw the new shaft in and do the packing, and service the trailer and get tires and a spare, and then drive the whole shebang back here. Should be a busy weekend lol.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-06-2012, 03:29 PM
I have a tandem axle VM trailer that came with my boat. I haven't had to do anything to it since I got it four years ago other than add grease. The bearings are tight and no grease splatter. If you have any questions, you can give the folks at VM a call. They sent me new stickers (at no charge) for the trailer for when I refurb the bast in the spring. I spoke with Betty Lou.

VM Boat Trailers
5200 Peach Ave.
Fresno, CA 93725
559-486-0410

gweaver
09-07-2012, 10:43 AM
+1 on Mr. MC's thought- or go here (http://www.vmboattrailers.com/technicalsupport.html) and download the pdf files for axles/bearings (and probably tires) to make sure you know what you need. I found out the hard way that the braking axles use different bearing cups and seals than the non-braking axles on my tandem trailer. I was not amused, to say the least. If you call VM and give them your VIN, they should have what you need in stock, or they might be willing to tell you what bearings you need. (my problem was I pulled the bearings, bought new bearings, seals before I pulled the old cups and seals to match parts)
G

thatsmrmastercraft
09-07-2012, 10:54 AM
I forgot to mention the spare tire issue. You need a trailer specific wheel. This will have a zero off-set and place the wheel properly in relationship to the fender. Any car or truck will have too much positive or negative off-set to fit correctly. You can get a tire and wheel combo at any trailer supply company, many of the big box stores, or from guys like me who sell tires and wheels.