PDA

View Full Version : Ballast pump switch

jfw432
09-06-2012, 02:04 PM
I have a Johnson reversible ballast pump that was new. I've been using it for about 3 weeks and although it works fine, the switch doesn't always turn it on. Almost every time, I have to flip the switch a few times to get the pump to switch on. First I bought a cheapo switch locally and thought that was the problem but have recently upgraded to a higher quality 25amp switch and it still does the same thing.

Any ever have a problem with this?

MLA
09-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Does the switch have any illumination? If so, is it coming on when the switch is activated? Where are you drawing your power and ground for the switch? It can also be common for the reversible impeller pumps to stick. If the impeller is left in the drain position, then the boat is put a way for a period, the impeller can stick and not flip to the fill position when its next used. A trick to prevent this is to flip the switch to the fill directions for about 5 seconds after you are done draining for the last time. This gets the impeller flipped and ready to go next trip

jfw432
09-16-2012, 07:48 PM
The impeller sticking is probably the issue because if the pump doesn't come on immediately, I've learned that flipping the switch in the other direction turns it on and then I can change it back and it'll work fine.