PDA

View Full Version : Prop strike and damage to hull

Grant777
09-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Hey guys

Had a minor prop strike in the slip with the boat in forward gear at idle. You can see the minor furling of two blades of the prop. What is strange is the crack in the gel coat just above the prop? Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions on the best way to patch it up? Thanks. 83965

mikeg205
09-06-2012, 02:14 PM
How deep is it? don't see any fibers... a little marine resin... gelcoat, sand it down and polish. Strut bent or did something get between prop and hull?

Grant777
09-07-2012, 11:20 AM
I don't think the strut bent. The shaft rotates as easily as before. But not sure how else it could have been damaged. It is the wide diameter prop 14.75. The scar isn't deep. Maybe .25 inch. I'm hoping that since the boat was at idle the damage will be limited to the scratch and prop.

Thrall
09-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Looks like a scratch or gouge from the pic, not a crack. Is it in line with where the prop could strike it? If so, then need to figure out how the prop got into the hull. Either way, put some 3m5200 epoxy on it and call it good, or some gel coat paste.

east tx skier
09-08-2012, 12:33 AM
The gouge looks like a $200 or less job. The prop will refurb for $125.

Grant777
09-10-2012, 12:53 AM
Thanks guys. Gelcoat has been repaired. New prop on the way. Do I put it on. Take the boat for a spin and hope that all is well? I'm aware that detecting a bent shaft is tricky but if there is no vibration with the new prop am I correcting in assuming all else is ok too? The boat was in forward gear at idle when it struck the prop and it cut the engine. It's was the stock 14.75 diameter prop which has very little clearance between it and the hull. But still.

Thrall
09-10-2012, 03:18 PM
If it's smooth running then yeah, 99% sure nothing else is wrong.
What I don't understand is how the prop could get into the bottom of the boat without bending the strut??
Like you described it looks like a minor hit all around, but give the strut a good look over to make sure it's still straight.

east tx skier
09-10-2012, 03:42 PM
If it's smooth running then yeah, 99% sure nothing else is wrong.
What I don't understand is how the prop could get into the bottom of the boat without bending the strut??
Like you described it looks like a minor hit all around, but give the strut a good look over to make sure it's still straight.

That's what I was thinking. I'd guess that if you hit it at idle, you are less likely to have bent the shaft. But getting the gel coat doesn't seem like it could happen with out some bend.

When my wife hit something last year, the shaft looked okay, but I took it to the dealership and borrowed their feeler gauge to test run out. It doesn't take much to be out of tolerance.

Jeffer
09-10-2012, 05:18 PM
"When my wife hit something last year, the shaft looked okay, but I took it to the dealership and borrowed their feeler gauge to test run out. It doesn't take much to be out of tolerance"

Damn wives always hitting stuff...course, if she reads this, she'll be hitting ME next! :uglyhamme

GoneBoatN
09-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Do you know what it struck? Is there a chance it got dragged around by the prop (or otherwise between the prop and hull) and caused it to scrape the hull?

76S&S
09-10-2012, 06:11 PM
You can check the shaft now, while the prop is off, by running it, on the trailer, in gear "BRIEFLY", while lightly laying a wrench on the shaft. If the wrench won't stay on the shaft (jumps up and down), it's bent.

Obviously, this is a two person job.

Grant777
09-10-2012, 10:21 PM
I'll give it a spin in the morning and see what the shaft looks like. Do I spray the bracket with water to protect the bearing? This forum really is an amazing source of quality info. Thanks to all.

Grant777
09-10-2012, 10:25 PM
I think it hit a concrete retaining wall which runs along the edge of the slip. Stupid slip builders. I wasn't driving at the time. That was lesson number 2 of the day.

76S&S
09-11-2012, 09:58 AM
I'll give it a spin in the morning and see what the shaft looks like. Do I spray the bracket with water to protect the bearing? This forum really is an amazing source of quality info. Thanks to all.

Yes, or for the short run time you can hit it with WD. Someone may give me grief on the WD comment.

Grant777
09-11-2012, 10:37 AM
So I sprayed it with WD and water. Ran it in gear at idle. No wobble. Put a flatedge on the shaft just aft of the bearing and no movement. The shaft seems to be entering the hull centered and the tiny gaps between the bearing and the shaft seem to be constant when I rotate the shaft (I can do this by hand even without the prop on). I am hoping I got lucky. Well, except for the gelcoat repair which is not even a close match to the white of my hull. The guys who did it must be bloody blind! I will report back on Thursday.

CBergerson
09-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Could the prop have knocked off a small chunk of concrete, which was then thrown into the hull where the chip was?

MariStar-Man
09-11-2012, 11:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_w0LvD6gEc

76S&S
09-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Glad to hear that the shaft doesn't appear to be bent. Good luck later in the week.

soacj
09-11-2012, 04:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_w0LvD6gEc

I have to say this regarding the guy doing the demo: That's a guy w/ entirely too much time on his hands!

Thrall
09-11-2012, 07:33 PM
"When my wife hit something last year, the shaft looked okay, but I took it to the dealership and borrowed their feeler gauge to test run out. It doesn't take much to be out of tolerance"

Damn wives always hitting stuff...course, if she reads this, she'll be hitting ME next! :uglyhamme

I was gonna bust his b@lls over that, but decided to leave it alone.
Knock on wood, the only gel damage to our boats so far has been by the better half as well!

Grant777
09-14-2012, 03:11 AM
New prop is on. Running smoother than ever. What a relief. Thanks again for all the input. 84317

GoneBoatN
09-14-2012, 11:54 AM
New prop is on. Running smoother than ever. What a relief. Thanks again for all the input. 84317

That means it's time to drive it like you stole it! :steering:

Grant777
09-25-2012, 03:06 PM
With factory ballast plus 2x455lbs in the rear lockers and 650lbs in the bow and a new 14.25x14 prop from Eric at OJ Props the boat is going better than before. OJ Props repaired the old stock prop for free. Very happy and grateful for the great customer service!

cptskier15
09-25-2012, 03:12 PM
That looks like one awesome prop!!