PDA

View Full Version : NOOB X2 owner - impeller change at 30hrs?

contraption
09-05-2012, 11:53 PM
I'm just finishing out our first season with a 2011 X2 (Lake Tahoe CA). We are just under 30 hours on our Ilmor 5.7.

It's in the shop getting the required oil and filter changes and winterization, and the service guys are suggesting replacing the waterpump impeller. I know it is recommended to replace it every season - but my question is "is 30hrs on a brand new Ilmor 5.7 considered a "season", or should I let it go all of next summer as well?"

Guessing that we'd be at 70hrs by the end of next summer - would that be pushing it too far?

Thanks! Glad to be here!

Bruce

sand2snow22
09-06-2012, 12:19 AM
You want to do the impeller in the spring. Why put a fresh impeller in to have it sit all fall and winter? I have a 2011 that has been used for 2 seasons, 60 hours. I will change the impeller in the spring. However, search, I have seen some strange problems with Ilmore impellers and water pumps.

Nordicron
09-06-2012, 12:27 AM
Why the heck are you winterized on sept 5th??? Crazy! Anyway yeah do the impeller in spring.

contraption
09-06-2012, 01:20 AM
You want to do the impeller in the spring. Why put a fresh impeller in to have it sit all fall and winter? I have a 2011 that has been used for 2 seasons, 60 hours. I will change the impeller in the spring. However, search, I have seen some strange problems with Ilmore impellers and water pumps.
thanks Sand2, I think I'll take your advice and just sit this one out - maybe replace in the spring or after a few weekends next summer. I also searched as you said - it does seems like there have been some premature impeller failures on Ilmor engines, but at least a couple of them were on the bigger engines. thanks for the help.

contraption
09-06-2012, 01:22 AM
Why the heck are you winterized on sept 5th??? Crazy! Anyway yeah do the impeller in spring.
Nordicron - fair point. We are new to the Tahoe area, water is pretty cold and kids are back in school. Not sure how many more weekends we'll get in before we break out the skis. I had to take it in for the post-break-in service so I figured I might just winterize it now. However, we often get an Indian summer here in SF Bay Area so maybe I'll just get it back and try for a few more weekends.

GoneBoatN
09-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Nordicron - fair point. We are new to the Tahoe area, water is pretty cold and kids are back in school. Not sure how many more weekends we'll get in before we break out the skis. I had to take it in for the post-break-in service so I figured I might just winterize it now. However, we often get an Indian summer here in SF Bay Area so maybe I'll just get it back and try for a few more weekends.

It's going to be around 100 degrees in the central valley this weekend. We boat out there through the end of October. Nice time of year - most of the tubers stay are gone. :)

The Delta area will be around the mid 90's.

Towards the end of the season we use 2/3 wetsuits. I'd get dry suits but I don't think I could convince the kids to continue. We end up scuba diving while we wait for the snow to accumulate so that we can start snow skiing/boarding.

GoneBoatN
09-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Seems the majority put in a new impeller in the spring time. I had a dealer replace the impeller at the 100hr serivce. It was towards the end of the season and just like you they replaced the impeller. I pulled it out during the winterization, stored it, and put it back in in the beginning of the next season. I did this so that it would not take a "set" over the winter storage time. Most people doing their own winterization put the new impeller in at de-winterization. Dealers will do it at winterization time if they winterize in a way that no de-winterization is really needed; at least that is what my dealer does.

If you search and read the impeller threads you will find various opinions. I would say most seem to change it yearly in spring no matter how many hours. Others, but appear to be the minority, would run them for longer.

Ask for the old one back and keep it as a spare in the boat along with a gasket. A screw driver would help too. :D

contraption
09-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Seems the majority put in a new impeller in the spring time. I had a dealer replace the impeller at the 100hr serivce. It was towards the end of the season and just like you they replaced the impeller. I pulled it out during the winterization, stored it, and put it back in in the beginning of the next season. I did this so that it would not take a "set" over the winter storage time. Most people doing their own winterization put the new impeller in at de-winterization. Dealers will do it at winterization time if they winterize in a way that no de-winterization is really needed; at least that is what my dealer does.

If you search and read the impeller threads you will find various opinions. I would say most seem to change it yearly in spring no matter how many hours. Others, but appear to be the minority, would run them for longer.

Ask for the old one back and keep it as a spare in the boat along with a gasket. A screw driver would help too. :D
OK, I'm convinced. I think I'll do this in the spring when I pull out the boat, not now.

Anyone do their own impeller swap on the Ilmor 5.7 in an X2? I'm wondering if this is possible to do on the water in an emergency, or if this is a 5 hour project in the garage or shop.

Lumbergh
09-06-2012, 02:27 PM
I am amazed at the chatter about impellers.

Its a $35 part that is critical and made of rubber (compound). For that price it is not worth risking an engine overheat.

Every year in spring prior to the season, regardless of low hours in a past season.

YMMV.

mikeg205
09-06-2012, 02:33 PM
I am amazed at the chatter about impellers.

Its a $35 part that is critical and made of rubber (compound). For that price it is not worth risking an engine overheat.

Every year in spring prior to the season, regardless of low hours in a past season.

YMMV.

^^+1 cheap insurance..and it only takes a few minutes...I inspect mine if I have a day where I see a bunch of weeds...specially floating Duck Weed...

GoneBoatN
09-06-2012, 04:03 PM
OK, I'm convinced. I think I'll do this in the spring when I pull out the boat, not now.

Anyone do their own impeller swap on the Ilmor 5.7 in an X2? I'm wondering if this is possible to do on the water in an emergency, or if this is a 5 hour project in the garage or shop.

Being above the water line I would not think it would be an issue in the water. In any event you should have a seacock (shut off valve) at the intake.

If you have to change one on the water it is most likely that the impeller broke up. In that case you should also examine the transmission cooler for chunks of impeller. The transmission cooler has a screen (not very fine) that larger chunks of impeller should not pass through and would end up restricting water flow. Now that is around the water line and best to close the seacock :) if doing this in the water.

I don't have an Ilmor but it is the same.

Replacing the impeller takes no time at all. I made a little impeller puller to make the job easier. See http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38397. A couple of bottle openers or screw drivers would do the same but sometimes there is not much room to work behind the engine. Also spray some watered down dish soap in the housing and turn over the ignition just a little will ease the removal.

Thrall
09-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Good call to replace it, or at least pull and inspect it. I'v e had 2 years out of the last 9 that I've had a MC that I've pulled out an impeller with a chunk or 2 missing. Avg 30-50hrs/yr use.
They will last much longer than that. I've seen them go up to 200hrs in boats that didn't get as much tlc as mine.
I don't believe they take a set in the housing over winter any more than sitting between uses in the summer. Every one I've pulled whether it was 6 days or 6months since the boat ran had some of the fins bent over and they all straightened out after being removed.
Unless you have a spare already, replace the one you have, keep it as a spare.
It's an easy repair on the lake that will save your day.
Oh and put some anti seize on the splines, makes removal much easier the next time.

sand2snow22
09-07-2012, 06:25 PM
I recently changed the original impeller out of a 2002 X-7 with 180+ hours. Looked brand new!?!?!

Thrall
09-07-2012, 07:42 PM
I recently changed the original impeller out of a 2002 X-7 with 180+ hours. Looked brand new!?!?!

Alot has to do with where the boat was run too, water quality.
In 9 yrs of boating I have 7 shiny spare impellers and 2 messed up ones.

rgardjr1
09-07-2012, 08:06 PM
With our short boating season I replace mine every spring. We only put around 40 hours a summer, but I'm not risking a day or half day on the water because I cheaped out and didn't replace the impeller.

contraption
09-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Good call to replace it, or at least pull and inspect it. I'v e had 2 years out of the last 9 that I've had a MC that I've pulled out an impeller with a chunk or 2 missing. Avg 30-50hrs/yr use.
They will last much longer than that. I've seen them go up to 200hrs in boats that didn't get as much tlc as mine.
I don't believe they take a set in the housing over winter any more than sitting between uses in the summer. Every one I've pulled whether it was 6 days or 6months since the boat ran had some of the fins bent over and they all straightened out after being removed.
Unless you have a spare already, replace the one you have, keep it as a spare.
It's an easy repair on the lake that will save your day.
Oh and put some anti seize on the splines, makes removal much easier the next time.

Which engine are you running? Ilmor? Indmar? I've been looking around trying to find pix/video/instructions on how to change the impeller myself (on the water, in particular), but haven't found anything yet.

contraption
09-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Alot has to do with where the boat was run too, water quality.
In 9 yrs of boating I have 7 shiny spare impellers and 2 messed up ones.

We are running in Tahoe, which is about as pristine as it gets - crazy blue and clear, though we have seen some pollen and 1 small stick (in 12x22 miles).

wheelerlake
09-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Any ideas on where is the best place to purchase? dim is $40 plus 13 for shipping:( Thinking of getting 2 to justify that shipping.

GoneBoatN
09-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Video on inspecting and changing the impeller: http://www.inboardonline.com/how-to/

They also offer the impeller for $37.50. Not sure if and how much they charge for shipping. You would have to go through checkout to find out.

contraption
09-10-2012, 03:44 AM
Video on inspecting and changing the impeller: http://www.inboardonline.com/how-to/

They also offer the impeller for $37.50. Not sure if and how much they charge for shipping. You would have to go through checkout to find out.
Thanks! That video is a help.

Thrall
09-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Which engine are you running? Ilmor? Indmar? I've been looking around trying to find pix/video/instructions on how to change the impeller myself (on the water, in particular), but haven't found anything yet.

I have an Indmar engine, but I believe the Ilmors use the same pump.
RIght on the end of the crank pulley, cover plate w/ 4 brass screws. Take screws and cover plate off, pry out impeller (couple screwdrivers, paint can openers, needle nose pliers or impeller puller), grease or anti seize the splines on the new one, re-install.
The process is very easy. Access to it may be difficult depending on the boat configuration.

88 PS190
09-10-2012, 10:51 PM
For reference, I picked up 2 spare impellers when we purchased our boat. I put a new one in when we got it. I pulled it wiped it down with glycerine, stuck it in a plastic bag and stapled the boat keys to the bag.

And it has worked all the way up until this summer, when I started noticing the temp gauge creeping up at idle. Swapped to new one. Old one had a bit of pitting along the edges of the pump, and I suspect a family member started the boat on the lift while it was cranked up a bit more than it should have been.

But the rubber is pretty durable, if you don't leave it in to develop a set. Caveat is that we are on a lake with a second boat, and if needed could cell phone the house and get pulled in no issues. If you spend long hours on lakes with no back up support, and miles from your trailer.... You want everything fresh.