PDA

View Full Version : I need to talk to another Mastercraft Owner!!!!

Latin Flyer
09-05-2012, 10:31 PM
I don't want to create blog or controversy of the issue I have, but I would like to talk to another MC owner that has the same Cruise Control / Ballast system than mine and has / had problems. (See picture)

I would like to keep this off TT, and specifically to the exact same system if possible.

I have a 2012 X2, but I'm sure other boats have the same system.

Please PM, email me or call me.
My name is Ouri, 954-274-2274, ouri@cgcRealEstate.com.

Nick911
09-05-2012, 11:44 PM
I don't want to create blog or controversy of the issue I have, but I would like to talk to another MC owner that has the same Cruise Control / Ballast system than mine and has / had problems. (See picture)

I would like to keep this off TT, and specifically to the exact same system if possible.

I have a 2012 X2, but I'm sure other boats have the same system.

Please PM, email me or call me.
My name is Ouri, 954-274-2274, ouri@cgcRealEstate.com.

What's that Autolevel thing?

scott023
09-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Whats the issue? Might be tough to find someone with "similar issues" without knowing what the issues are...

Latin Flyer
09-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Issues are various.
Whoever has this systme will know. I'm no loo0king for a solution from the group, I'm trying to collect open data to be able to talk to MC.
The dealer has spend numerous hours on it and he is respoding every time to the matter, but this should NOT be happening.
This is a seripues issue now that is consuming time and pleasure out of boating.

bikenskijerm
09-06-2012, 09:41 AM
I have the same system on my 2012 X15 and Specter (TT user name) has the same on his 2012 x30. I haven't had many problems but he has had a few.

Tristar Racing
09-06-2012, 09:50 AM
I don't understand the unwillingness to explain the issue, or not wanting a solution from the group for that matter...

Latin Flyer
09-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks bikenskijer, can you get Specter to contact me?

Tristar, PM sent.

CBRENT
09-06-2012, 10:26 AM
I have the exact same boat as you. I have similar issues as you. My dealer is looking into it further. Love my dealer but the issue is they are still learning the system also. They don't even have a manual for the B.I.G. I even called Medallion, they are local in Michigan, and requested documentation. Called twice and talked to 2 different people and both told me they would email me something... never got a thing. Maybe this is why MC dropped them!

Issues I've had are overflow when tanks are not full even when they say they are. Tanks saying they are empty when they are not. Auto leveling not engaging properly or not at all. Cruise Control (PP upgrade) not maintaining set speed... because it's software I believe there could be a fix but since it's a 1 year deal with this touchscreen (correct me if I'm wrong) they may not be in a hurry to support it or further develop for it.

You are not the only one to have these issues, numerous peeps have them and we are all saying the same thing... what's going to be done about it.

Still love the boat, it's fricken awesome!

Latin Flyer
09-06-2012, 10:46 AM
CBRENT, you basically nailed it!
Check your PM

Specter
09-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Sent you an email.

milkmania
09-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Whats the issue? Might be tough to find someone with "similar issues" without knowing what the issues are...

whew!!!! I thought it was me.... had to read it six timeshttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/conf40.gif

wbhobbs
09-06-2012, 11:39 AM
is this issue with the fact that the software just estimates when the tanks are full or empty but does not actually measure the water in them?

bcd
09-06-2012, 12:11 PM
I have a 2012 w/o the BIG. I often have troubles when I turn the system on/off to fill/empty the tanks, and the pumps won't kick on. I have to cycle it on/off a couple times before they kick in. Sometimes it won't select throught the options. Sometimes when I go to ski mode, it won't show an RPM setting, and won't let me adjust it. The system works, just not all the time.

CBRENT
09-06-2012, 12:19 PM
@ wbhobbs - yeppers. Along with some issues with PP system. Sometimes mine doesn't hold the set speed.

CBRENT
09-06-2012, 12:21 PM
@ bcd - I have the same issues as you, think we all do. I knew buying the extended warranty was the right thing to do, ha.

Latin Flyer
09-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Well, my point exaclty CBRENT & bcb, we should NOT have to buy the extended wararnty and the system should ALWAYS work!

bikenskijerm
09-06-2012, 03:49 PM
I am with you on that Latin Flyer. Heads are going to roll if this crap stops working next year and I am out a penny for it.

rtw_travel
09-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Interesting - I just picked up my 2012 X-14V last week, and just joined team talk yesterday.

My 14V has a huge wake for skiing... so I started looking and found the front ballast to be about 2/3 full even though the gauge said 0%. I didn't find the rear ballast tanks to check them. I assumed it was just a new boat setup problem, and its gone back to the dealer for repair... and winter storage.

Does anyone know in detail how the ballast pumps are supposed to work? - i.e. how does the software estimate the amount in the tanks? Once software thinks its empty, is there any way to override, recalibrate or reset the system? I did remove the hatch over the front ballast and found a level switch in the tank that was not connected to anything... so its not like MC saved that much money by having medallion try a software solution to measure tank level.

The nice thing about software is that there is usually a software patch once they figure out what they've done wrong - and I assume the dealers working hard to understand the problem and fix it. At least that's what I'm telling myself so far.

CBRENT
09-06-2012, 04:37 PM
@ rtw_travel - I believe the pumps work based on revolutions of the impellers.

lettmeknow
09-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Interesting - I just picked up my 2012 X-14V last week, and just joined team talk yesterday.

My 14V has a huge wake for skiing... so I started looking and found the front ballast to be about 2/3 full even though the gauge said 0%. I didn't find the rear ballast tanks to check them. I assumed it was just a new boat setup problem, and its gone back to the dealer for repair... and winter storage.

Does anyone know in detail how the ballast pumps are supposed to work? - i.e. how does the software estimate the amount in the tanks? Once software thinks its empty, is there any way to override, recalibrate or reset the system? I did remove the hatch over the front ballast and found a level switch in the tank that was not connected to anything... so its not like MC saved that much money by having medallion try a software solution to measure tank level.

The nice thing about software is that there is usually a software patch once they figure out what they've done wrong - and I assume the dealers working hard to understand the problem and fix it. At least that's what I'm telling myself so far.

you just got a brand new boat and have alreadty put it for the winter! That sucks

Latin Flyer
09-06-2012, 04:51 PM
rtw travel, what cbrent is saying is correct, it measures RPM. They changed mine to timers and there is still a problem. (jumtping from 50% to 0% when "empty", wich leaves the tank with water)

The only way to empty the tank (that I know of) is to "fill" the tank outside the water and then empty. That of course will cause stress on the impeller.

bikeenskijerm, send me your info. I'm collecting data, names etc. Hell will rise if this problem is not taken care on a timely manner.

I just got an email from my dealer today (men he is a patient and dedicated person) that Medallion will send someone to fix this matter.

bjames
09-06-2012, 09:15 PM
2012 models used pump revolutions to meter how much water is going into the tanks. By doing this, MC deleted the tank sending units that use to measure how full the tanks were (same as your fuel level). MC realized that this does not work and put the sending units back into the 2013 models.

For the BIG, everyone with a 2012 boat is facing the same software issues, ballsat bugs, PP issues, rider profile glitches ect... Yes, medalion is supposed to provide an update, but i am a little pessimistic as to how quickly we will see this. For 2013, MC has gone with Murphy based systems, these systems are used on other boats. So Basically 2012 users are stuck with a 1 year option and a 'flawed' ballast system design. I was told that MC had to design the P&P ballast system this way (inability to increase the ballast bags and removed timers from pumps) due to the recent law suit. MC wanted to ensure that people could not overlaod the capacity.

I was told from my dealer (hopefully its true) that MC was going to recall the PP and install Zero Off. Not sure if this is true, but that would be great. For the BIG, apparently medalian is committed to providing an update, but not holding my breath. Not sure how contracts are written between medallion and MC, but if it were me at rthe helm, I would recall all the medalion based BIG systems and replace them with Murphy at Medalions expense due to failing to fulfill conntractual obligations.

rtw_travel
09-07-2012, 01:21 AM
Thanks everyone. I've been reading the other threads on the subject too and I now at least understand what's going on.

I hope MC thinks they have too much reputation to lose by walking away on a whole model year. The problem is that i dont think a software fix is the whole answer- it was never a good idea to rely revolutions of that kind of pump for volume control. It may cost MC some dollars to fix this properly.

Latin Flyer
09-07-2012, 09:35 AM
rtw, you are correct, changing the system from rpm top timers (wich is what they did on mine) did NOT fix the bug.

Medallion is suppose to work on mine with me on the boat in the following weeks.

My concern is that my dealer worked on ti already, made it run properly, and then I go out on Saturday and the sytem fails. Then go out on Sunday, and the system works.

Waiting to see what this week end will bring.

CBRENT
09-07-2012, 10:53 AM
I think we should start a 2012 Owner Issue Thread related to the B.I.G specifically. Not a bi*ch fest, but a record of individuals and what they are experiencing. Maybe we can track all the variables and help MC and Medallion find a quicker solution, even though they should have worked this out before it went to consumers.

Thoughts?

Quinten
09-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Have the same boat, and I found out that the tanks still have a level meter on it, it is jus not connected, when you open the hatch you see a plate and under that plat it is, will upload a picture.

CBRENT
09-07-2012, 11:12 AM
@ Quinten - So when you connected it did your problems go away concerning the ballast? Please post a pic for sure. Ill check into this tonight! Thanks.

Quinten
09-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Here are the senders port rear tank 2012 x2

Quinten
09-07-2012, 11:20 AM
@ Quinten - So when you connected it did your problems go away concerning the ballast? Please post a pic for sure. Ill check into this tonight! Thanks.

Did not tried that out yet, don't have wirring of the big so don't know where to connect it :s I'm sorry

CBRENT
09-07-2012, 11:26 AM
@ Quinten - Cool, thanks for the heads-up on this. I'll let you know what the outcome is.

Anyone know any more info on this. Are these there "for looks" or are they part of something else.

Latin Flyer
09-07-2012, 11:33 AM
I dont want to create a "repair manual".

I paid top $ for a bew boat and I paid a premium to have MC and it's reputation on it for a reason.

The systme needs to be fixed by MC in my opinion, and an extended warranty on it needs to be given.
I'm in florida, so I will probably use the boat another 2 months at least, but I know a lot of you are already talking about winterization (whatever that is, sorry guys)

CBRENT
09-07-2012, 11:49 AM
@ Latin Flyer - I agree with you on not being their R&D team in the field. I think what I'm looking for is more of a case builder for our cause. The more things are documented by numerous people instead of just a few the better MC's response HAS to be.

I'm hoping to keep mine in until end of October!

rtw_travel
09-07-2012, 11:57 AM
I think we should start a 2012 Owner Issue Thread related to the B.I.G specifically. Not a bi*ch fest, but a record of individuals and what they are experiencing. Maybe we can track all the variables and help MC and Medallion find a quicker solution, even though they should have worked this out before it went to consumers.

Thoughts?

sounds like a good idea to me... but it would take some tough moderating to keep it under control: people will always want to vent after discovering they've spent a lot of money on a new boat that has a design flaw.

@Quinten - found the identical sending unit in the front ballast tank when I was looking at my X-14V the other day. The problem is that there is no wiring harness anywhere near to connect it to, so I suspect it does not exist. MC would have to field run new wires, and then figure out how to tie it into the control bus (I think they use a CAN bus?) and control logic - this was what I was hinting at when I said in my last post that MC may have to spend a few bucks to fix the problem.

Whatever they do to fix the problem, I also hope MC woudl give us some software control over the system. It would be nice to add a tank calibration screen in the system setup, similar to the speed calibration. You should be able to set the number of revolutions, or the amount of time that the pumps would run, and the actual tank level at the time. Then we could at least have some control over the system rather than relying on the dealer for what should be a simple adjustment. i.e. if I see the front tank is about 2/3 full, but my gauge reads zero, then I could reset in the tank level to 66% - in doing so, the pump should work to drain it again.

and yes... in Canada, we have medicare, a strong real estate market, good job prospects, and a short boating season. :-)

CBRENT
09-07-2012, 12:47 PM
@ rtw_travel - Thanks for the info on the plug. Saved me some time. So I wonder why it's there?!?!?

rtw_travel
09-07-2012, 01:12 PM
@cbrent - I suspect it came that way from the tank manufacturer as standard equipment, because everyone who has a tank needs a level measurement of some kind... except apparently MC in 2012. :-)

Quinten
09-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Jep that's what i tought about to @ rtw travel, everyone needs one. But it is not because there is no wiring near that it can't connecte to the big. Maybe there is a connector for on the big, maybe just swithc the one from the pumps to this one??

Sound's to easy. :D

Latin Flyer
09-08-2012, 12:30 AM
Is anyone at the surf expo this week end? Good time to talk to MC.
Let me know please.

bjames
09-10-2012, 06:45 PM
I have a feeling that the current 2012 BIG system does not have any inputs for the sending units due to how it was programmed. Obviously there seems to be a lack of coordination between componant design - meaning the design intent was to remove the sending units, so why did they still install them and leave the plug dangling. Proof of an uncoordianted design.

Specter
09-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Whatever happened with this?

mzimme
09-27-2012, 04:38 PM
I have a feeling that the current 2012 BIG system does not have any inputs for the sending units due to how it was programmed. Obviously there seems to be a lack of coordination between componant design - meaning the design intent was to remove the sending units, so why did they still install them and leave the plug dangling. Proof of an uncoordianted design.

I don't have a newer boat, but I'm intrigued by the problem. I wonder how the software determines the number of revolutions. Does the electrical signal create a certain resistance or does it literally count revolutions? If it created resistance, I would think you could trick the software by having whatever amount of revolutions be emulated by a full or empty tank sensor. If you put resitors in line when the tank hits FULL or EMPTY that was the same as the resistance for X number of revolutions, you could almost just splice wires for a tank sensor instead of whatever is sending the computer information about revolutions of the pumps and be done with it.

Unfortunately I doubt its that easy, but its an idea.