PDA

View Full Version : Pitot Question

js9467
09-05-2012, 09:27 PM
So I've noticed a bit more water in the bildge than I would like. I first found the copper cylinders screwed to the transom broken. I spliced the hoses bypassing the cylinders and stopped that leak (did I need those?!). I later found another piece of the hose broken in another spot. I spliced but decided to replace.

While replacing the broken hose, I found probably 4 splices in the other hose.

Unfortunately l, I only bought enough hose for one side so I'll get more tomorrow and finish the job. Needless to say, this is a bear with the integrated swim platform on the Tristar. On a more positive note, I found the grease tap on my rudder so I hit that while I was in there.

My question is this... In the engine compartment, there is a fitting going straight thru the bottom of the hull with pitot hose connected and blocked off with a screw. I looked under the boat, and there was a small fin (not to be confused with a tracking fin). I'm assuming this is another pitot? What's it for? Is it stock? Any ideas!?

mikeg205
09-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Yes, you need the cylinders they moderate the pressure on the way to those now vintage speedo's. Get new line and run a piece from cylinder to pitot and from cylinder to speedo. nice weekend project.. :D

js9467
09-05-2012, 09:47 PM
The ends have seemingly blown off of the cylinders. I'm guessing they froze. New gauges?!?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-05-2012, 09:55 PM
You can bypass the brass cylinders, they just help dampen the air pressure in the system. You have a picture of this other pitot? Mine does not have this part.

js9467
09-05-2012, 10:02 PM
I tried to get a picture before dark but I failed. I'll try again tomorrow.

Dylan
09-06-2012, 02:19 PM
A few years ago I was chasing a similar problem, and just ended up replacing the entire lines on both sides of my boat. I secured it to the old and pulled it through. As for the equalizing cylinders, I have read they can be repaired. I recall soldering? Good luck!

sethro
09-06-2012, 10:15 PM
I spent a bunch of time troubleshooting speedometers on a Stars and Stripes in the past. Very long story short, the brass balance tubes didn't seem to effect the speedo reaction one bit. I even had a brand new balance tube that didn't make a difference...even when I finally tracked the problem to the actual pitot, and replaced with a new one. Speedometer still didn't react any different with the combinations of: new balance tube, old balance tube, no balance tube. I did end up putting the old balance tubes back in just because.

js9467
09-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Just got off the lake. Both speedos worked great, no more water in the bilge, I fixed the depth sounder, still stoked about the prop. The boat is finally the way I want it (almost). It's a damned shame summer is almost over!!

mikeg205
09-08-2012, 12:23 AM
Just got off the lake. Both speedos worked great, no more water in the bilge, I fixed the depth sounder, still stoked about the prop. The boat is finally the way I want it (almost). It's a damned shame summer is almost over!!

outstanding... it ain't over till it's over...get out there and have all the fun can...