PDA

View Full Version : ? anything yet on the rubber platform?

rlwiley
09-02-2005, 10:12 PM
I seached the other threads about the rubber black residue from the fiberglass but I still have no answer. This is on a 06 X-30 that I just picked up today. I really wanted a teak but it already had the fiberglass on it. I would have thought that someone would have an answer by now. Especially on an 2006 boat.

jletoo
09-02-2005, 11:19 PM
whats your question?

Mag_Red
09-03-2005, 12:00 AM
whats your question?And I thought I was the only one that didn't know what he was talking about. :purplaugh

tph
09-03-2005, 01:23 AM
There was another member who had problems with the black from the platform pad getting tracked into the boat. Particularly on the upholstery. I think she eventually had a teak platform installed.

bigmac
09-03-2005, 07:25 AM
There was another member who had problems with the black from the platform pad getting tracked into the boat. Particularly on the upholstery. I think she eventually had a teak platform installed.

Yeah, I don't know what the question is either, but I suspect the only answer to his question is "303". That black stuff comes off easily with vinyl cleaner, although it's certainly kind of a nuisance, and I don't know what would happen if it wasn't cleaned off immediately. I've tried various silicone preperations on the rubber matting and even some wax, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

RickDV
09-03-2005, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I don't know what the question is either, but I suspect the only answer to his question is "303". That black stuff comes off easily with vinyl cleaner, although it's certainly kind of a nuisance, and I don't know what would happen if it wasn't cleaned off immediately. I've tried various silicone preperations on the rubber matting and even some wax, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Careful with the silicone on the matting. Remember that folks are stepping on this surface and they can be a little off balance from the wave action. Silicone can make it too slippery. Go with the cleaner instead.
(There's a story behind my advice...too long to tell here.)

bigmac
09-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Careful with the silicone on the matting. Remember that folks are stepping on this surface and they can be a little off balance from the wave action. Silicone can make it too slippery. Go with the cleaner instead.
(There's a story behind my advice...too long to tell here.)

That hasn't been an issue yet, but it's good point...

rlwiley
09-03-2005, 10:26 PM
The black rubber mat that comes on the fiberglass platforms leaves a black residue that gets on your feet or bathing suit(if you sit on it) and then gets all over the interior, I was wondering if anyone has heard of a solution.

G-man
09-04-2005, 07:59 AM
quite a few dealers have replaced them for their customers with teak because they can't fix the problem.

BigBarney
09-04-2005, 09:25 AM
Are they being replaced with teak inlays or an entirely new teak platform?

G-man
09-04-2005, 09:52 AM
teak inlays which to me is a temporary fix

bigmac
09-04-2005, 10:07 AM
Are they being replaced with teak inlays or an entirely new teak platform?

My buddy with an X-10 replaced his with the whole teak platform. I don't know if MasterCraft picked up the tab on that or if he had to pay for all or part of it.

I think the teak inlay idea would be cool - I wonder how hard it would be for one to remove the rubber and do the teak inlay one's self...

http://www.mastercraft.com/boat_graphics/electronic_brochure/company10951/defn_text/1795_p_t_208x161_830200440343pm.jpg

There's a product called Flexiteek (http://www.flexiteek.no/) which is a synthetic composite teak that comes with adhesive, caulk (white or black) in 5 mm-thick strips. No clue what it costs, but it seems like it could be an interesting winter project for someone with a jig saw and a little woodworking skill.

bigmac
09-04-2005, 10:10 AM
teak inlays which to me is a temporary fix

What do you mean? MasterCraft replaces with teak inlay? Why do you say teak inlay would be a temporary fix?

crdickey
09-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Use a razor knife scraper to remove the rubber and replace it with Gator Grip. It does not produce this black residue. cfoye@yahoo.com www.wakejunky.com

RobertT
09-04-2005, 03:17 PM
I think they might use the same stuff on the trailer pads. When you wash it with a brush, then wash a painted surface you can see black streaks.

My opinion is that if you can see black, you are going to wear out the surface fairly quickly. The black streaks are/have to be part of the rubber product.

I second Gator Grip, I bought 2 full sheets and have found a thousand uses for it.

If you want something more traditional, there is a deck dots product out too.

G-man
09-05-2005, 09:03 AM
I don't like teak inlays because if not installed properly they dont stay down, after several years most I have seen look like crap, they start peeling up and they wood is gray and pitted with mold

bigmac
09-05-2005, 09:10 AM
I don't like teak inlays because if not installed properly they dont stay down, after several years most I have seen look like crap, they start peeling up and they wood is gray and pitted with mold

Yes, teak is kind of maintenance-intensive. I wonder if the grey and pitting and peeling might be less of an issue with this sythetic composite Flexiteek stuff. I'd hate to experiment with it because the stuff is apparently $40 per square foot uninstalled.

I'm sure Gator grip would work well, but I personally don't care too much for the look of it (YMMV). If I could find some kind of black rubber matting that was no thicker than the stock stuff and wouldn't track black stuff all over the boat, I'd get my razor-scraper out and go for it.

Double Overhead
09-05-2005, 03:20 PM
I just ordered deck dots to put on my S&S fiberglass swim platform. Ill let you know how I like it after I put it on.

deckdots (http://www.deckdots.com/)