PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Used SS trailer

oxberger
09-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Ok guys, you all have helped me out before, either directly or indirectly with all your posts. So I have some questions and need some help/suggestions. I have a 1985 SS that is a project I'm working on. The first thing was to redo the trailer since it isn't roadworthy (very rusy and the brake actuator just slides in and out, so when you stop at a light the trailer basically slides until it hits the point that it can't slide forward anymore, it does the opposite on take off). So, I put the boat up on blocks and began the trailer removal. As I first started to pull the trailer out I noticed how the bunks carpeting was coming off and the wood for the front v block basically descintigrated. After further looking at the trailer I realized there are two very large rusty cracks on each side of the main frame rail that the bunks sit on. I talk to my neighbor who does trailer repairs (horse, RV, etc.) and he said that his welder probably would do a patch on it based on all the rust and would probably have to fabricate 2 new rails. He's been in the business a long time so I trust his opinion and he said it'd be a couple hundred bucks. Once I had that done I would need to redo the wiring, replace bunks and carpet, refurb the fenders since they are chipped and the edges scraped up, new actuator including cutting off the old. Fast forward a little and thatsmrmastercraft a few months back posted a listing for a MC trailer in Cincy. I contacted the guy and at the time he wanted $649 for it. Repainted (not professionally), with new lights, no bunks and carpet, no guide poles, no v bunk, and a useless winch. I talked to the wife and at the time really couldn't afford the trailer and the gas to pick it up so I passed when he said he has someone from Canada interested. I was reading the Ebay thread and Ryan in Cincy posts the trailer ad from CL that was middle of last month. Price dropped to $599. I contact the guy today and ask if he still has it and he does. I tell him with the lights and guide poles I'll give him $475 and can pick it up Saturday. He comes back with lowest offer he can take is $550 and he doesn't have the guide posts anymore. Do you think it would be worth it to go and get it at that price. I'll post the pics I have and you guys can let me know. Thanks!

oxberger
09-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Here are the pics he's sent me. I know the one picture with the lugs missing, he said they took them off to use on another trailer on the lot and assured me the correct lugs will be on. He also said ithas bearing buddies and was greased last fall. The trailer doesn't get used much and is taking up space on his lot. He did mention if he didn't sell it, over the winter he would finish it and sell it for $1100, not sure hwta he means by that. I know it needs some items, but I don't think the price increase would be worht it. What do you guys think?

Sodar
09-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Counter him at $500 and drag it home.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Counter him at $500 and drag it home.

That should work.

oxberger
09-05-2012, 05:38 PM
That's what I was thinking. The pictures help, but definately doesn't ease my mind that if I get there after a 5-6 hour drive and realize it wasn't worth the trip. The trailer in the condition its in is still way better than mine and appears roadworthy.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-05-2012, 05:45 PM
That is a long way to go for a trailer.

trickskier
09-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Judging by the pics that trailer need a lot of work. If you're not mechanically inclined - I say back off. I basically have a full shop at my house, and I'd say it's going to take a minimum of 2 full weekends (With friends) to get that trailer road worthy to put a boat on it.

Good luck with your decision.