PDA

View Full Version : trailer brakes constantly on??

Aric'sX15
09-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Took the boat out last weekend, and on the way back to the house, I noticed my truck was struggling more than normal pulling the boat. a mile or so down the road from my storage, i noticed smoke was coming from the brakes, and my rims were extremely hot. what are a few things I should check for? its a 2010 tandem axle trailer. all connections on my truck were fine, and were checked numerous times. it only seemed to be doing it off and on, and I'm completely stumped!
Also got my two wheel drive Silverado stuck on the ramp this weekend, needless to say pulling the trailer wasn't in my favor this weekend!

Miss Rita
09-05-2012, 04:20 PM
disks or drums? Could be stuck calipers, could be frozen brake cylinders, could be other corroded pieces.

Sodar
09-05-2012, 05:35 PM
If it has a swing tongue, check to make sure the brake like is not kinked or pinched in the tongue.

Thrall
09-05-2012, 05:40 PM
2010 is disc brakes.
Probably stuck caliper slides.
Where to start?
Jack up trailer, make sure master cyl is releasing then see which wheels aren't spinning freely.
If it's at the wheels, it's one of 2 things. Either the caliper piston is froze up (unlikely since it's so new that teh rubber boot would be torn and the piston rusted up, but possible) or the caliper slides are rusted and stuck which means every time the brakes release, the back pad attached to the piston will release pressure, but the front pad will still maintian pressure on the rotor since the slides dont allow the caliper assembly to re-center itself.
Start there. My 3 year old trailer had the same problem when I bought it. SOme anti seize on the caliper slides ( and mounting bolt threads and wheel lugs) has kept it good for the last 3 years.
You may have to squeeze the pistons back in some to get the caliper to mount back up. Use a big pair of channel locks and put a plate or something over the piston and squeeze teh piston back in a little. Make sure you open the reservior and suck out some fluid first so you don't push too much fluid back into the reservior, overfilling it. (ANd don't let the res run out when you use the brakes or you'll have to bleed the system.)

Aric'sX15
09-05-2012, 09:32 PM
If it has a swing tongue, check to make sure the brake like is not kinked or pinched in the tongue.

2010 is disc brakes.
Probably stuck caliper slides.
Where to start?
Jack up trailer, make sure master cyl is releasing then see which wheels aren't spinning freely.
If it's at the wheels, it's one of 2 things. Either the caliper piston is froze up (unlikely since it's so new that teh rubber boot would be torn and the piston rusted up, but possible) or the caliper slides are rusted and stuck which means every time the brakes release, the back pad attached to the piston will release pressure, but the front pad will still maintian pressure on the rotor since the slides dont allow the caliper assembly to re-center itself.
Start there. My 3 year old trailer had the same problem when I bought it. SOme anti seize on the caliper slides ( and mounting bolt threads and wheel lugs) has kept it good for the last 3 years.
You may have to squeeze the pistons back in some to get the caliper to mount back up. Use a big pair of channel locks and put a plate or something over the piston and squeeze teh piston back in a little. Make sure you open the reservior and suck out some fluid first so you don't push too much fluid back into the reservior, overfilling it. (ANd don't let the res run out when you use the brakes or you'll have to bleed the system.)

i tried the swinging tounge thing, but that didnt seem to be it.

ill try that this weekend, since I'm up at UNT this week. thanks for the replies!

Jim@BAWS
09-05-2012, 09:33 PM

Good call!!!

Jim@BAWS

Aric'sX15
09-05-2012, 09:48 PM
no lines are kinked, so I'm going to jack it up and see which wheel is froze up.

bturner2
09-06-2012, 07:21 AM
While you're at it check to see if the break away cable got pulled. This happens if you forget to remove the cable an pull away. It pulls the master cylinder and applies pressure to the calipers. Wouldn't be the first time I heard of this happening. There's a tab under the tongue you push to release the cable.