PDA

View Full Version : exhaust smells like gas/won't idle

rowjimmy77
09-02-2005, 08:44 PM
I assume they are related......

Boat has sat for approx 3 months, ( I had to move and my wife had a baby) Well weekend is here and I want to go out on the lake....

let it run in my driveway for 1/2 hour..... black smoke and a black film is all over my driveway and the back of the boat is covered in black residue.....oh and also did i mention it wont idle ? any help on this one ? the boat ran perfect last time I was out in May now I feel like someone changed engines on me in my sleep......I would love to go tomorrow but I would REALLY love not paying someone to fix this if ti is an easy fix....

Thanks for everyones help in advance, this site is worth more than any shop manual I own.......

redmike
09-02-2005, 09:11 PM
check the float level in the carb, sounds like carb is flooding. try tapping the float bowl with a small hammer/screwdriver to dislodge anything that might have been stuck in the needle valve.

tph
09-03-2005, 02:19 AM
Is the choke sticking in the closed position?

bigmac
09-03-2005, 08:46 AM
Obviously, you're running rich so it must be a carb problem. I agree that a sticking float or choke malfunction are the most likely issues. It might be ultimately worthwhile looking for the appropriate rebuild kit (http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1116) , but in the short term it might be as simple as one of the thousands of carburetor cleaners and sprays you see sitting on the shelves of every auto parts store.

I would indeed start by tapping the float chamber with a screwdriver handle, spray the choke mechanism with some WD40 or special "carburetor choke mechanism spray cleaner", and pour some special "carburetor cleaner/lubricant" down the throat while it's running (according to package directions), and hope that that stuff will dissolve or flush whatever grunge has bolixed the carb.

rowjimmy77
09-06-2005, 06:02 PM
tapping the carb and a few sprays of the carb cleaner worked. Boat is back to normal!!!!!

Thanks for all of your help and for saving me the $$$ of taking it in and having some fool charge me at least $150.00 to do the same thing.....

I love my mastercraft first, I love this site second for keeping my Beer Money going to beer and not my local MC dealer.....

redmike
09-06-2005, 07:42 PM
well then, how bout sending a few cold ones our way!!!! seriously, if the tapping worked, you probably need to change your fuel filter, that is what is letting things get stuck in the needle in the first place...

rowjimmy77
09-06-2005, 08:31 PM
fuel filter.....good idea I think I will go to skidim right now and order one...If I could send a 12 pack your way I would I would still be saving $$$ compared to a dealer......

also I have had this boat for 2.5 years ( 92 PS 205 650 hours (50 are mine) ) and it runs perfect all the time,and I have only changed the oil!!!!!!

any other reccomendations other than the fuel filter for a little preventative maintenance? I did change the impeller/thermmostat.

I am thinkling I need to pay a little more attention to my baby....

redmike
09-06-2005, 08:58 PM
as long as you are calling skidim, might as well order tune up parts for next year cap/rotor/plugs, little prevention goes along ways!!!!

2jeep2
09-08-2005, 08:57 PM
could be a few things, need to know for sure what set up you have -- carbed or efi?? if efi check the hose going from the rear of the throttle body to the map sensor, make sue it is on and has not fallen off. secondly check you map sensor. this sensor will do just that...good luck -- jt in nc

jimmer2880
09-10-2005, 08:15 PM
It sounds like you fixed it. But - for what it's worth - I've also seen identical symptoms from a cracked spark plug. My ex-Brother-in-law's flightcraft with a Mercruser inboard is a real bear to get to 2 plugs. We usually cracked one about every other plug swap.