PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Stars and Stripes transmission removal

Sierra Tango II
09-05-2012, 12:43 PM
I literally just committed to buying a 1998 anniversary edition (providing everything checks out on it at the shop), and decided to go skiing (to celebrate), and as I was skiing, the transmission revved real high and then that was it. It still goes in reverse and neutral and will even putt in forward but once you give it gas, it just revs up. I was going to use the sale of my current boat to offset part of the purchase price of the new one however now Im not sure. My good friends father owns a transmission shop that specializes in heavy duty/racing transmissions, and he said he would rebuild it on the bench if I brought it to his shop. Im just paying for the parts and a nominal labor charge. My question is, how hard is it to pull the transmission out and reinstall it? is there anyspecial tricks that I should be aware of or is it straight forward? I looked for threads regarding this topic but was unable to find any. Thank you for any knowledge you can share on this.

ricford
09-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Does your prop have a keyway or is it splined? It could be as simple as the splines on the prop letting go. A buddy of mine had the same thing happen to his Ski Nautique. He replaced the prop and I think he had to replace the shaft too, but that fixed it. Pull the prop first, it's worth a look, anyway.

EricB
09-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Transmission removal is pretty straight forward. Just be aware that it is cast iron and heavy. It's heavier if it is a Gear reduction trans.
Disconnect the driveshaft and slode it reward as much as you can. Raise the back of the engine unbolt the trans and slide backwards keeping in mind it's heavy.

gweaver
09-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Question- did you check the fluid level? When I first got my boat and took it out, the trans would slip when RPM went over about 1500. Discovered fluid level was low- filled it to spec, went back out and no problems.
G

thatsmrmastercraft
09-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Transmission removal is pretty straight forward. Just be aware that it is cast iron and heavy. It's heavier if it is a Gear reduction trans.
Disconnect the driveshaft and slode it reward as much as you can. Raise the back of the engine unbolt the trans and slide backwards keeping in mind it's heavy.

So, you're saying it's heavy, right? :rolleyes:

Sierra Tango II
09-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Question- did you check the fluid level? When I first got my boat and took it out, the trans would slip when RPM went over about 1500. Discovered fluid level was low- filled it to spec, went back out and no problems.
G

The fluid is full, and I have no problem with reverse, just forward. I will check the splines on the prop though. I didnt think of that.

blakehardesty
09-05-2012, 03:50 PM

I pulled mine in the sprint. Its a VERY heavy dude. reinstalled with it hanging from a forklift.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-05-2012, 04:25 PM
I pulled mine in the sprint. Its a VERY heavy dude. reinstalled with it hanging from a forklift.

I know, that's why the ":rolleyes:"

trickskier
09-05-2012, 05:05 PM

You wouldn't want to drop it on your big toe!!! ;)

trickskier
09-05-2012, 05:08 PM
These transmissions are very rebuildable - I rebuilt mine in my 82' S&S. Make sure to get all of the internal O-Rings!

thatsmrmastercraft
09-05-2012, 05:26 PM
You wouldn't want to drop it on your big toe!!! ;)

If you did, you might look like this.

EricB
09-06-2012, 10:45 AM
BTW, prop is keyed, not splined. Also, shaft is keyed in the coupler that is retained to the transmission output too.

Oh, did I mention that the trans is heavy??????

Jim@BAWS
09-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Foward clutch pack is gone. Just buy a rebuild kit and do the whole thing for piece of mind!

Jim@BAWS

Sierra Tango II
09-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Well tonight we pulled out the transmision. It went really smooth and fairly quickly once we got into it. My buddy prepped it last night (removed engine cover, floor, bellhousing bolts etc), and tonight we pulled it. I think all totaled we had an hour and a half into it. He had 50 minutes last night and together we worked 40 tonight. Although it was fairly heavy:rolleyes:, the two of us had absolutely no problem removing it out of the boat. After we removed everything so that we had a clear path, we just seperated the bellhousing from the block, wrapped forearm forklifts under it and slowly eased it out, no problem. I only hope that it goes back in as easily.

dmminfla
09-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Did you check the damper plate while you have the tranny out?

Sierra Tango II
09-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Not tonight, no. I will check it out when I put it back in. My buddy is friends with the service manager from the local Mastercraft dealer, and he said that the seal wore out and thats what caused it to fail. my guess is he is right since there is fluid all over the place. Im having it totally rebuilt and will inspect it prior to putting it back in the boat. I was in a bit of a hurry as it has to be in Detroit first thing in the morning. Is there anything special I should look at, what about anything else while its apart? Thanks for the info.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Good progress.:toast:

blakehardesty
09-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Not tonight, no. I will check it out when I put it back in. My buddy is friends with the service manager from the local Mastercraft dealer, and he said that the seal wore out and thats what caused it to fail. my guess is he is right since there is fluid all over the place. Im having it totally rebuilt and will inspect it prior to putting it back in the boat. I was in a bit of a hurry as it has to be in Detroit first thing in the morning. Is there anything special I should look at, what about anything else while its apart? Thanks for the info.

x2 on checking the damper plate. That is the sole reason I had to pull my transmission. While I had it out I replaced all Seals.