PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Lights / Guide Poles

BT2005PS209
09-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Any suggestions on where to get replacement lights for a PS 214 trailer? Need 2 of the clear oval back up lights, 2 red round side markers, 2 red mini side markers and 2 amber mini side markers.

I am also wondering where to get guide poles that fit the posts on the trailer if anybody knows.

Finally what about trailer wiring and connectors? I need the 7 pin set up so my reverse lights will work once I install them.

If you can't tell, I'm a new MC owner and while my boat rocks, my trailer is in need of some work.

Thanks

mikeg205
09-04-2012, 11:50 PM
lol... lights available about at about every trailer store and online and even walmart.

What happened to the posts? - pictures please

easy peasy...you'll need to fish wires to the back up lights for reverse...if you don't have on tow vehicle... you need to install... do you need a wiring diagram?

you can just tap into the reverse lights to transfer power to backup lights on trailer...do you need to install new plug on tow vehicle?

BT2005PS209
09-05-2012, 12:29 PM
I do have a 7 pin connector on the tow vehicle. I keep blowing the fuse on the running lights in the tow vehicle, so I assume a have bad wires somewhere. The trailer came with a 5 pin connector and I use an adaptor to the 7 pin receptacle on the SUV. Not sure the best way to wire this, but I am thinking directly to a 7 pin and then use an extension to the to the tow vehicle. No way to get reverse lights + brakes on a 5 pin. Right?

Trailer did not come with guide poles, but it does have the posts that are welded to the trailer frame. Not sure if you can see in this picture or not.

Also, I know I am dumb about these things, but I was thinking there might be a type of trailer light that works for boat trailers better since it gets dunked in water. Based on your response I guess not.

willyt
09-05-2012, 12:36 PM
hold up... thats a 197, not a 214...

Miss Rita
09-05-2012, 12:46 PM
I love that classic color combination, will always be in style.

For guide poles shop for PVC pipe. You can get it in white, or buy gray PVC conduit. If you want black pipe your only option is a MC dealer. The only place I could find white PVC in the correct size was at Ace Hardware; I covered it with padding.

You'll have to go through the trailer wiring to find out what is shorting out, my experience is that it's usually at an individual light where the insulation has worn through. It can be an exercise in patience to find it. Sometimes it's just easier and a better idea to rewire the trailer. Wiring kits are about $20 at Walmart.

The fifth pin on your five pin connector is for back-up lights and to disable the brakes while backing.

BT2005PS209
09-05-2012, 01:08 PM
hold up... thats a 197, not a 214...

Actually it's a 2005 PS 209 sitting on a PS 214 trailer.

BT2005PS209
09-05-2012, 01:11 PM
I love that classic color combination, will always be in style.

The fifth pin on your five pin connector is for back-up lights and to disable the brakes while backing.

Thanks. I love it too. So you are saying I can use a 5 pin plug if I wire it right and then use a 7 pin adapter for the tow vehicle and the back up lights will still work? Just making sure I understand.

Thanks

billr
09-05-2012, 01:34 PM
I have a 7 pin connector on my truck, and a 7 pin on the trailer, but it only uses 5 wires.

gts-20
09-05-2012, 02:09 PM
For the lights and guide pole covers:

http://www.waterskis.com/MasterCraft-Boat-Trailer-Parts-s/359.htm

or try this, almost complete list of MC trailer parts:

http://www.charlotteskiboats.com/mastercraft_parts.cfm?category=27&CurrentPage=1

peason
09-05-2012, 02:49 PM
I just replaced lights on my trailer at NAPA, or you can order on Amazon. I went to a local boat supply retailer and bought a flat 5-pin to a round 7-pin on the tow vehicle - this solved a lot of problems when I had to back up the boat and wasn't gettting a connection to release the brakes while in reverse. My old adaptor was bad.

Miss Rita
09-05-2012, 03:26 PM
So you are saying I can use a 5 pin plug if I wire it right and then use a 7 pin adapter for the tow vehicle and the back up lights will still work?

Yes. You'll need a round 7 to flat 5 adapter, about $10.

You need to find the short before you do anything else.

BT2005PS209
09-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Ok, thanks for the help. I have to admit I am still confused about 1 thing. If I use a 5 flat wiring kit to wire the trailer, the blue wire goes to brakes. Brown to running lights. Yellow for left. Green for right. White for ground. What goes to the reverse lights? Would I not need a 6th wire, and therefore the 5 pin kit would not work? If I splice off blue or another color, then put the 5 flat into the round 7 will it know to use it for both reverse and brakes? Just double checking before I start this project and screw it up.
Thanks

BT2005PS209
09-07-2012, 10:42 PM

Oops. Ignore my last question. I just noticed you already answered it. The 5th pin is blue, so I am going to splice blue to the brakes and to the reverse lights. Got it!

Thanks

BT2005PS209
09-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Finally took some pics of what I am starting with.

BT2005PS209
09-09-2012, 11:32 PM
And these.....

Miss Rita
09-11-2012, 03:13 PM
1) Nice boat!
2) You may have to just re-wire the trailer
3) Fenders look a little goofy, must be because of torsion axles(?)
4) Those guide poles are too short to put plastic extensions on top. Can they be replaced with longer steel pipes?
5) You should put the directional wheels on one side and the wheels with round holes on the other, at least until you get new spinner wheels.

GoneBoatN
09-11-2012, 06:59 PM
4) Those guide poles are too short to put plastic extensions on top. Can they be replaced with longer steel pipes?

Fenders look like someone removed the fiberglass fenders and welded in a generic. Some paint would go a long way to making it look better.

The short segments of upright poles are actually for the guide poles that come with the trailer to slip over. There should be two holes in the short poles where bolts would go through to connect the poles. See http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/album.php?albumid=588&pictureid=4490 and you can just see the bolts at the bottom. The upright poles look like a larger diameter towards the bottom that have been welded to a smaller diameter pipe. I would imagine one could make them or maybe your local dealer has some old ones that could be reused...

GoneBoatN
09-11-2012, 07:03 PM
I just noticed in one of your pictures your bow stop is missing the boards and carpet. You need to the boards and bunk carpet on there ASAP before you hull gets damaged. You most likely already know this but had to be said.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-11-2012, 07:14 PM
I just noticed in one of your pictures your bow stop is missing the boards and carpet. You need to the boards and bunk carpet on there ASAP before you hull gets damaged. You most likely already know this but had to be said.

Good eye.

onewheat
09-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Yes. You'll need a round 7 to flat 5 adapter, about $10.

If you are re-wiring, why not just put a 7-pin on the trailer instead of using an adapter? Why add more things that aren't needed?

TxsRiverRat
09-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Love the boat... Your trailer SUCKS man... Sell it while you can still get a grand out of it and order a new one... Looks rusted to hell like my GFs trailer before the tongue snapped.

BT2005PS209
09-16-2012, 10:29 PM
1) Nice boat!
2) You may have to just re-wire the trailer
5) You should put the directional wheels on one side and the wheels with round holes on the other, at least until you get new spinner wheels.

I think the fenders may have been welded on there and never painted in place of fiberglass fenders. Not sure.

I did change the wheels just yesterday in fact. Now they match on each side. Great minds think alike :)

Also, on the wiring, since my original post, I found that it must have had more lights on it at some point and when they were removed the wires were stuffed inside the trailer body with the metal connectors still there and ready to connect to new lights. My guess is the connectors were touching the metal inside and causing me to blow the fuse. I taped those connector ends up tight with electrical tape until I get new lights installed and I have not blown a fuse in the tow vehicle since. So I may not need to rewire after all. Just get my new lights installed and use what is there. These are the connectors that plug into LED's and seal the water out with rubber around the connection.

The guide posts do have 2 holes that look ready to mount a metal guide poles into them. I just need to find the metal guide poles to fit. Whatever was on the 214 trailers should work here. I think those are the original posts.

While the trailer does have issues, the boat is sweeeeeet..............

BT2005PS209
09-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Good eye.

Great eye. I did remove those that day because I was working on cutting some blocks and drilling holes in them to build up the bow stop so the boat would actually rest on it. I did not drive anywhere with those off even though the boat probably would not touch them anyway. It sits too far above them. I took them off while the boat was on the trailer if that tells you how much room I have to play with. It is a 209 boat, on a 214 trailer, which will require a welder to cut and move bunks, bow stop and winch to make everything fit properly.

BT2005PS209
09-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Love the boat... Your trailer SUCKS man... Sell it while you can still get a grand out of it and order a new one... Looks rusted to hell like my GFs trailer before the tongue snapped.

Not sure it's quite that bad, but since you have had that experience, anything I can look for to see if I may have that issue coming? There are rust spots here and there, but they seem to just be a little on the surface. Everyplace I can see inside the trailer body, inside the swing away tongue, etc. looks and feels solid, but I do not want to ignore your experience if you have any good advice for me.

I should add, the fenders look the worst and they are just discolored and never been painted. Definitely solid metal all the way through.

BT2005PS209
09-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Fenders look like someone removed the fiberglass fenders and welded in a generic. Some paint would go a long way to making it look better.

The short segments of upright poles are actually for the guide poles that come with the trailer to slip over. There should be two holes in the short poles where bolts would go through to connect the poles. See http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/album.php?albumid=588&pictureid=4490 and you can just see the bolts at the bottom. The upright poles look like a larger diameter towards the bottom that have been welded to a smaller diameter pipe. I would imagine one could make them or maybe your local dealer has some old ones that could be reused...

On the fenders ... I agree. That is my best guess also. Speaking of which, any thoughts on how I could dress up the steps in front and behind the fenders? There are 4 holes drilled in the back one and 3 in the front as if there were something bolted to it at one time.

On the posts ... That is correct. 2 holes in each one that look ready for poles to be bolted on, but there is nothing else welded to the posts. Just the posts with the 2 holes.

GoneBoatN
09-16-2012, 11:54 PM
On the fenders ... I agree. That is my best guess also. Speaking of which, any thoughts on how I could dress up the steps in front and behind the fenders? There are 4 holes drilled in the back one and 3 in the front as if there were something bolted to it at one time.

On the posts ... That is correct. 2 holes in each one that look ready for poles to be bolted on, but there is nothing else welded to the posts. Just the posts with the 2 holes.

Those are not really steps. They are the bases the fiberglass fenders rest on when mounted to the trailer. Maybe you can have something fabricated (metal) as fenders that would also rest on those supports. See at about 30 seconds into this video - https://vimeo.com/19039056 . Maybe you can have something made up like that.

The reason for that short post is that you can take off the upright guide pole and then remove the fender that would rest on those supports.

The bottom of the guide pole has a wider section welded to it. It slides over that short segment when you attach the upright guide pole to the trailer.

BT2005PS209
09-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Those are not really steps. They are the bases the fiberglass fenders rest on when mounted to the trailer. Maybe you can have something fabricated (metal) as fenders that would also rest on those supports. See at about 30 seconds into this video - https://vimeo.com/19039056 . Maybe you can have something made up like that.

The reason for that short post is that you can take off the upright guide pole and then remove the fender that would rest on those supports.

The bottom of the guide pole has a wider section welded to it. It slides over that short segment when you attach the upright guide pole to the trailer.

I guess finding a pair of fiberglass fenders to fit would be unlikely. I like your metal idea. It would look better and I could have the holes cut out for grommetts on the side markers and reverse lights. Good thought. I am going to check into that. Thanks.

BT2005PS209
09-23-2012, 12:46 AM
Update - I was able to track down the guy that last had this trailer. He confirmed that he welded those fenders on to replace the fiberglass fenders that were used on another trailer. I'm glad I called him because I ended up working out a deal with him to cut and weld everything to make this fit my boat, add some metal on either side of the fender, new bunk boards, carpet, etc. After that hoping to sand blast and paint. So will get by with it the way it is for now. Supposed to meet up with him in about a month.