PDA

View Full Version : Swimming pools

milkmania
09-02-2005, 08:21 PM
Who's got a swimming pool?
*above ground?
*inground? fiberglass, vinyl liner, or concrete?
*above ground installed in the ground?

I've had a 24' above ground for the last 10 or so years, but would like to install an inground. But a buddy says he's got $40,000 plus in his inground pool.

What are the alternatives?
I'm looking at these fiberglass drop in pools, and they're looking quite appealing. I can get the excavating equipment locally.

Definately need a diving board on one end....preferably the deep end;)

also, does anyone install any sort of pools here at TMC?

btmag
09-02-2005, 10:46 PM
I have a inground 20X40 rectangle pool. 8 1/2 feet in the deep end with a diving board.
It has a vinyl liner, and would recommend one without hesitation. I would also recommend having the automatic chlorinator and what is my best friend the Polaris brand automatic pool cleaner. Works very well!!
I also put up a water slide that is made out of crawl tubes for kids playground equipment. I will see if I can post a picture of it in the morning.
Let me know what other questions you might have.

milkmania
09-02-2005, 10:54 PM
is this automatic chlorinator thing you mention like a salt type system with plates that are energized.

I'm not sure what kind of system this friend used, but all he had to do was add something like 1500 lbs of salt to the pool, and he claims it will take care of itself:confused:
this sounds like the one...
http://phoenix.about.com/cs/wet/a/saltpool01.htm

I've used the vac-man pool cleaner for my above ground for years....wouldn't have it any other way!

btmag
09-02-2005, 11:09 PM
The chlorinator uses the 3" chlorine tablets. They will last about a week or two depending on how hot you set it. You can adjust the chlorine amount with a turn of a dial. Also, I have about $30,000 in mine. That the slide I mentioned and the pool house and concrete around it.

milkmania
09-02-2005, 11:15 PM
The chlorinator uses the 3" chlorine tablets. They will last about a week or two depending on how hot you set it. You can adjust the chlorine amount with a turn of a dial. Also, I have about $30,000 in mine. That the slide I mentioned and the pool house and concrete around it.
Re: 3' chlorine tablets, I've used those with my abopve ground also, and wouldn't ever go back to baquicil!:mad:
I had too much of a problem with chemical bounce with Baquicil....(and my son worked at the pool place that could test daily if needed)

did you do most of the work, or contract it out to come up with that price?
I guess I'm asking if that's materials and labor or just material.

this is the exact chlorine generator I remember see on the pool of my friend's
http://www.poolmart.com/clearwater.htm

btmag
09-02-2005, 11:26 PM
That cost was for material and labor. The only thing I built was the slide.
I don't know what a salt chlorinator is? Sorry!
Mine is just a tube that sits above the filter and you control the water that flows into it and melts the 3" tablets.
I didn't want to use Baqucil.
My sister-in-law put a pool in about 2yrs ago and used it for the first year. They now use chlorine.

jletoo
09-03-2005, 12:08 AM
do we really call an above ground a pool??

bucky
09-03-2005, 12:46 AM
I have probably the sorry-est setup. 12' easy set bought on clearance at wal-mart. For $37 last week I got the pool, pump and filter, cover, ladder, and skimmer. Cost less than the tank of gas for the shopping trip. Set up on sand, figure to let the 5 yo play a year or 2, wad it up and crap-can it. My wife spent most of the last 2 years looking for an inground, but they started at ~20k for what she wanted. She was very disappointed with this one.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
09-03-2005, 11:17 AM
I have probably the sorry-est setup. 12' easy set bought on clearance at wal-mart. For $37 last week I got the pool, pump and filter, cover, ladder, and skimmer.

If you got any drunken buddies, this is perfect. :D they can trash your pool in a heartbeat.

I have an in ground, my parents installed it when I was 7 yrs old. I live in the house now. Its easy to take care of if you keep your chemicals balanced. I have to vacuum it seldomly, every 3 weeks or so as I take good care of it and not much debris gets in it. Keep your chems good, use clarifier, and back wash your filter and your good to go. Its 8.5 ft deep in the deep end, and 3 in shallow. GOt a slide and board. THe slide was getting very "chalky" in the gel coat after 20 years old and you wouldnt even slide on it anymore :eek: so I had it repainted by a bodyshop with car paint. Let me tell you baby, when you put a fresh coat of clear coat polish on that slide, you FLY down it!!!!! :headbang: DONT show your drunken buddies that if you have a slide. I use the 3" tablets too. Even up here in the frozen tundra, the water temp stays in the mid to high 70's with no heater.....until about this time of year. But I dont use the heater at all any more.

erkoehler
09-03-2005, 11:22 AM
UMP, when do you close it down for the year?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
09-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Usually in mid October Erk.

I dont swim in it past september though, I just sit and look at it on nice fall days. when the leaves start to fall, I put it to bed for the year.
I put a leaf net on it over the winter cover and that makes it easy for getting rid of the fall leaves.

Its a bit cool for swimming this time of year......but NOT for skiing my good friend!!!!! :D

Jim
09-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Who's got a swimming pool?
*above ground?
*inground? fiberglass, vinyl liner, or concrete?
*above ground installed in the ground?

I've had a 24' above ground for the last 10 or so years, but would like to install an inground. But a buddy says he's got $40,000 plus in his inground pool.

What are the alternatives?
I'm looking at these fiberglass drop in pools, and they're looking quite appealing. I can get the excavating equipment locally.

Definately need a diving board on one end....preferably the deep end;)

also, does anyone install any sort of pools here at TMC?

Polaris has a wide variety of treatment systems. I have the polaris watermatic C-316 treatment system. Kinda spendy, but well worth the investment. Polaris.com check it out.

Leroy
09-03-2005, 06:00 PM
We have a 16X32 in ground vinyl. Contract was $35k, but owner before me did it. Very easy to take care of. Automatic clorine feeder, natures way chemical package (reduces amount of clorine you need) and paper type filter.

Early spring and late fall we use the heater to keep it >85, throughout the summer it stays 88-92. Opened it in March and will probably close it around Thanksgiving this year. I close and open it. Takes about 50 gallons of RV antifreeze! You think you will have a pink pool, but doesn't happen.

milkmania
09-03-2005, 06:32 PM
We have a 16X32 in ground vinyl. Contract was $35k, but owner before me did it. Very easy to take care of. Automatic clorine feeder, natures way chemical package (reduces amount of clorine you need) and paper type filter.

Early spring and late fall we use the heater to keep it >85, throughout the summer it stays 88-92. Opened it in March and will probably close it around Thanksgiving this year. I close and open it. Takes about 50 gallons of RV antifreeze! You think you will have a pink pool, but doesn't happen.

is it diving depth?
what type of heater? solar, electric, propane???

poolwarehouse has some solar PVC type heaters, I was wondering how much they help:confused:

here's a copy of an IM that I sent Bucky....
Bucky,

I've just sent off for more information regarding a 20x40 inground pool from www.poolwarehouse.com (http://www.poolwarehouse.com/)
anxiously awaiting their response

here's some of their pricing
http://www.poolwarehouse.com/swimmingpoolprice.html
note: No tax for sales outside of Florida, and shipping included!
If I used Burton Pools in Ft. Smith, Ar. they charge sales tax near 10%!...... well, isn't 10% of $10,000 dollars equal to $1000.00???????

the thing that interested me is the testimony from Tom Chagrin Falls OH. about the middle of the page down here. except, I am intersted in the 20x40 with cozy corner.
http://www.poolwarehouse.com/pooltestimonies.html

You mentioned the ones you were looking at starting out at $20,000....
from what I've seen, you could probably add one of these "spill-over spas" and concrete and still be under $20,000
http://www.poolwarehouse.com/spilloverspas.html

I've got complete access to a backhoe, and I'm really interested in doing something like this.
I've got the yard fenced in the way I want it now, and have easily 80 x 80 space available for an inground pool.

We would have a lot more access to a pool than a boat/lake at this point.
and with fuel prices going up..............................

let me know what you think here?

btmag
09-03-2005, 07:20 PM
MilkMania
I live in Arkansas and decided not to put a heater on mine. I have a good friend that put his pool in about a month before me and put a heater on his. His is a natural gas heater and cost about a $100 to use for a month. He says they don't even use it during the winter. By the time winter gets here, his family is tired of swimming. It gets him in his pool about 2 weeks earlier than me.
Living in AR, I don't think it is worth the extra money.
OK weather just about like AR. Just my 2cents.

shepherd
09-04-2005, 01:16 AM
Nice pool Leroy, I like the landscaping too.
Ours is above-ground to keep the hurricane storm surges out!
It's only about 5' deep at most, and about 22' long. Not really good for much more than hopping in and cooling off after mowing the lawn or working on the Mastercraft. Not deep enough to dive or long enough to swim laps.

Leroy
09-04-2005, 02:05 AM
Shepherd; I like your pool setting also! Is that salt water behind you? We went to spring break in a house just west of you and Grayton Beach State park. Really beautiful there. We had a very small pool at our FL spring break house and loved it and really used it a lot. If I had to guess ~12X20.

Milkmania; OUr lucky night, I found the pool book! It is 8' deep and we dive in from the side all the time. Most of the pools around here are 18X36 for a diving board but I think mine would still work with a board. I'm thinking about a slide. The heater is a Raypak 265kBTU natural, looked it up on the internet to make sure about winterization, and it's easy to take care of. I read about the solar heaters and if I could find a cheap bladder and hook up something like a bilge pump would try it.

milkmania
09-04-2005, 03:11 AM
Thanks guys:)

well.............
I got my quote back
here's what I'm looking at http://www.writeonrice.com/quote.htm

it would be like this 18 x 36 pool, except it'd be 20 x 40
http://www.poolwarehouse.com/graphics/IMG_0280.JPG
http://www.poolwarehouse.com/graphics/IMG_0250.JPG

here's the installation .pdf..... if you guys get bored:D
http://www.writeonrice.com/installation.pdf

shepherd
09-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Shepherd; I like your pool setting also! Is that salt water behind you? We went to spring break in a house just west of you and Grayton Beach State park. Really beautiful there. We had a very small pool at our FL spring break house and loved it and really used it a lot. If I had to guess ~12X20.

Yes, it's salt water, on the Bay about 7 miles from the Gulf. Grayton Beach is a cool little town. Been to the Red Bar??? :smile:
The beaches all along this part of Florida are beautiful white sand, mostly unspoiled.

Leroy
09-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Yes, we did, wild place, especially when you have the family with you! Great dinner none the less.

Looks nice Milk, when will you have it installed, going to try to get it in before winter hits?

Yes, it's salt water, on the Bay about 7 miles from the Gulf. Grayton Beach is a cool little town. Been to the Red Bar??? :smile:
The beaches all along this part of Florida are beautiful white sand, mostly unspoiled.

milkmania
09-04-2005, 09:27 PM
Looks nice Milk, when will you have it installed, going to try to get it in before winter hits?

Still awaiting approval from the head office;)