PDA

View Full Version : In boat Video - Lake of Ozark Crash

bobx1
09-04-2012, 07:04 PM
http://fox2now.com/2012/09/04/raw-video-inside-the-ozark-boat-crash/

Jerseydave
09-04-2012, 07:27 PM
I saw that posted on facebook/mastercraft

Notice how the girl in the green bikini bent the throttle levers after getting thrown into them.
Sore ribs for sure.

How come the driver looked like a manequin falling over?

Gravy
09-04-2012, 08:18 PM
^ I know...he didn't even try to hold himself up! haha

snork
09-04-2012, 08:30 PM

look where he fell

Tri4X2
09-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Hold My Beer and Watch this!!!!!!

mzimme
09-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Holy crap... that looked painful.

medicmoose
09-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Forget all that....did you catch that pontoon boat early in the video??? Not your typical grampa on a Sunday afternoon!

Tri4X2
09-04-2012, 08:49 PM
38 foot Fountain's have seats and restraints for a reason.... you just don't stand in a boat that's going roughly 70mph, not to mention though rollers.... Homeboy put it though rollers and then into a spin..... Like getting hit by Mike Tyson in his prime

BrooksfamX2
09-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Below is from another forum:

Hey guys, I was a passenger in this boat during the accident. Yes, there are many cardinal rules broken. The most important one I feel is no life jackets worn. As crazy as it seems, we had jackets for each person but as the poker run began we realized no one else was wearing them..... How foolish we were. I have read so many nasty comments on YouTube and other sites I am in shock. My wife suffered 4 broken ribs, punctured lung and a broken foot. She has not left the house since getting home. She is in severe pain. The driver crushed his eye orbital and broke hus back at T8 ( he is a former F-2 racer with APBA). Another passenger who raced professionally for many years broke his pelvis in several places and is in a wheelchair. One of the other girls crushed her eye orbital also. The guy from lake tv fractured his hip and broke his wrist. My injuries were minor compared, busted my head open and damaged a rib or two. Everyone is black and blue. This was a very upsetting event for everyone involved. I have been around powerboats for many years and it only takes on unguarded minute to loose a life or permanently hurt people you love. I am very thankful this did not end up worse. I hope everyone learns from this. I know I will boat differently. All of the guys in the boat are members of OSO. I think it is necessary to break down the accident and discuss this, just remember these are real people who like you who love power boating and do it every weekend

CantRepeat
09-04-2012, 09:08 PM
38 foot Fountain's have seats and restraints for a reason.... you just don't stand in a boat that's going roughly 70mph, not to mention though rollers.... Homeboy put it though rollers and then into a spin..... Like getting hit by Mike Tyson in his prime

What are you talking about? :confused:

The newer Fountains do not hold very well from side to side. I had a friend slide out his 42 while practicing for a ski race. They make so much speed because they have such a small wetted surface now.

onejdgreen
09-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Saw that on Facebook/MasterCraft as well. One key point that was stated in the post from another forum, poker run. Those usually involve alcohol. Don't get me wrong I am not going to sit here and tell you I don't have a couple beers and then drive the boat, I've done it and I am not saying that alcohol was involved. I don't care how long you've been driving a boat or that you were a former racer, drive for the conditions. Just because the boat will do 70+ mph doesn't mean you have to all of the time...

Gnargnar
09-04-2012, 09:25 PM
That's some gnargnar for sure

bcd
09-04-2012, 09:38 PM
My friend who's got a place on the lake, and a 42' Fountain, sent me this:

Here is a little more detail on the Fountain...there is a comment about his past race experiance, I'm not buying this BS

http://www.rightthisminute.com/video/rtm-exclusive-update-speedboat-accident-missouri?fb_comment_id=fbc_484515188239197_9762595 7_484707524886630

Cobra Rob
09-04-2012, 10:26 PM
I would personally place more blame on the driver and his poor decision making.. Not going to get into since I have at other forums...

but for funs...

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k84/extremeg05/cc8a69e0.gif

mzimme
09-04-2012, 10:36 PM
I'd be pissed that I lost my shades....

Honestly, how did that thing not roll over?

snork
09-04-2012, 10:43 PM
I could watch that over and over again
did a frame by frame even more incredible

Cobra Rob
09-04-2012, 10:49 PM
I'd be pissed that I lost my shades....

Honestly, how did that thing not roll over?

Really long boat.. just hit a roller at either too shallow or not sharp enough of an angle. I can even feel in the MC when you hit one a little off and it trys to rotate the boat to match quickly.. I am just not going nearly that fast to have it be that violent. Again place the blame squarely on driver.

Redstorm
09-05-2012, 01:16 AM
Below is from another forum:

Hey guys, I was a passenger in this boat during the accident. Yes, there are many cardinal rules broken. The most important one I feel is no life jackets worn. As crazy as it seems, we had jackets for each person but as the poker run began we realized no one else was wearing them..... How foolish we were. I have read so many nasty comments on YouTube and other sites I am in shock. My wife suffered 4 broken ribs, punctured lung and a broken foot. She has not left the house since getting home. She is in severe pain. The driver crushed his eye orbital and broke hus back at T8 ( he is a former F-2 racer with APBA). Another passenger who raced professionally for many years broke his pelvis in several places and is in a wheelchair. One of the other girls crushed her eye orbital also. The guy from lake tv fractured his hip and broke his wrist. My injuries were minor compared, busted my head open and damaged a rib or two. Everyone is black and blue. This was a very upsetting event for everyone involved. I have been around powerboats for many years and it only takes on unguarded minute to loose a life or permanently hurt people you love. I am very thankful this did not end up worse. I hope everyone learns from this. I know I will boat differently. All of the guys in the boat are members of OSO. I think it is necessary to break down the accident and discuss this, just remember these are real people who like you who love power boating and do it every weekend

Sorry....but the driver, being "racer" should have read the water. 1st...he should not have had his passengers standing walking about the boat at this speed. Not once did he look/check on his passengers!!! The guy in the rear was sitting on the rear deck! I do blame the driver for not putting the safety of his passengers first and not paying attention the present conditions! I would not ride in his boat! Nice boat in the wrong hands!

scott023
09-05-2012, 01:31 AM
That doesn't even look real. How could they be so foolish??? Unbelievable.

Cobra Rob
09-05-2012, 01:33 AM
Sorry....but the driver, being "racer" should have read the water. 1st...he should not have had his passengers standing walking about the boat at this speed. Not once did he look/check on his passengers!!! The guy in the rear was sitting on the rear deck! I do blame the driver for not putting the safety of his passengers first and not paying attention the present conditions! I would not ride in his boat! Nice boat in the wrong hands!

Haha this is a direct copy of what I wrote on another forum that does not have many boat owners..... Sounds very similar to what you wrote.....

Well a big part of that problem is they were not in their seats! They should have been sitting down.. Even against the law in most states to be standing when under motion. ESPECIALLY above the gunnel like in the beginning of the video.

I still place all of the blame on the driver and poor decisions, be it not controlling his passengers, operating at an unsafe speed for conditions, or just making bad decisions in general driving.

first part was in response to someone saying something about them being seated

toolz
09-05-2012, 01:35 AM
Looks like the girl in the middle broke a nail right before the wreck- DAMMIT!

Seriously, that was a nasty wreck, but could have been worse. I always stood while driving my Fountain, but was uncomfortable if the rear passengers did. Not that it would have made any difference in this instance. My bolsters were very secure- locked you in very well. I am surprised the driver didn't see the wave, or didn't handle it better, considering his experience. A 38 is a heavy boat to be thrown around like that.

willyt
09-05-2012, 09:35 AM
sorry i'm not buying this... looks really, really fake to me.

aquaman
09-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Wow...that smarts.

I dont buy the story of the drivers racing experience.....he went down like he was dropped.

No safety gear in sight....

MC209
09-05-2012, 07:56 PM
ouch ouch ouch!

Lars
09-05-2012, 08:11 PM
new video shows what really happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77E8H6QkDvg

Tri4X2
09-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Didn't say they held well. The seats have side bolsters and other ways to keep people IN their seats. My point was they needed to be seated and that it was said he smashed into rollers and this is was sent the boat into slide.

Sodar
09-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Stepped hull boats hook in this manner more often than you'd think. It is a design "flaw" in stepped hulls. They have the ability to run fast, but at low to moderate speeds, they can hook and do this.

I think it sucks how much attention this is getting and how critical everyone is of the driver and the passengers. Just remember that they are boaters, just like us and even though they are of a different variety of boating, any added legislation, public perception or the like will have an effect on all of us.

Just hope that a tournament boat never gets in the limelight, because I am sure there is stuff we all do on a daily basis that can be critiqued to sh!t by some keyboard warriors.

scott023
09-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Stepped hull boats hook in this manner more often than you'd think. It is a design "flaw" in stepped hulls. They have the ability to run fast, but at low to moderate speeds, they can hook and do this.

I think it sucks how much attention this is getting and how critical everyone is of the driver and the passengers. Just remember that they are boaters, just like us and even though they are of a different variety of boating, any added legislation, public perception or the like will have an effect on all of us.

Just hope that a tournament boat never gets in the limelight, because I am sure there is stuff we all do on a daily basis that can be critiqued to sh!t by some keyboard warriors.

You're exactly right....

ridesdirt
09-05-2012, 10:24 PM
That doesn't look funny to me, hard to believe no one was throw out, glad to hear everyone is recovering... wow!

tommcat
09-05-2012, 11:32 PM

looked like weekend at bernies

Redstorm
09-06-2012, 01:27 AM

Sodar.....with no disrespect to you I have to disagree. I was once in that "different variety" of boating and just recently moved over to wake/ski family. He is the captain and assumes all responsibilities for the safety of his passengers! For the speeds and water conditions present at the time those passengers should have been seated/secured. Not enough seats for the passengers. He had no clue to what the passengers were doing. The passengers are not at fault..it is evident they did not know what the drivers intentions were. The rear male passenger was initially seated on the rear deck! Driver had no clue...he could have been thrown earlier and the driver would not have known. There is no excuse for his actions. His attention was raising the trim tabs and trimming out the boat at full throttle. Again Sodar no disrespect! This type of driver had his wake up call and this is why I don't go out on holidays. Just pisses me off. I'm sure I will get slack for this but.....damn!

Sodar
09-06-2012, 11:19 AM
I run on the other side of the tracks, too. I regularly run 60mph+ in 6' seas in center consoles that do not have a bolster or seat in site. This is a misfortunate accident that has caused everyone in the world to micro analyze the situation... It's not good for any of us. I am just in great fear of more legislation that will ruin our pleasure.

jdl xstar
09-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Its somewhat disturbing to see people thrown around like that and those folks are LUCKY the injuries weren't far worse. Its rare to see first person video of an accident like this so at least many many boaters will learn something by watching this event. I for one might actually strap on the kill switch cord in rough water- something I've never done before.

bobx1
09-06-2012, 12:51 PM
I run on the other side of the tracks, too. I regularly run 60mph+ in 6' seas in center consoles that do not have a bolster or seat in site. This is a misfortunate accident that has caused everyone in the world to micro analyze the situation... It's not good for any of us. I am just in great fear of more legislation that will ruin our pleasure.

Sodar....you may have already seen this (close to 40 pages worth) but these are comments from the off-shore guys. Some of them rather interesting and some technical.....

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/283909-fountain-loto-passengers-injured-near-rollover.html

MIskier
09-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Sodar....you may have already seen this (close to 40 pages worth) but these are comments from the off-shore guys. Some of them rather interesting and some technical.....

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/283909-fountain-loto-passengers-injured-near-rollover.html

Even on the OSO thread a lot of those guys are key board warriors. While there is no doubt that the driver was negligent things happen fast. Just look at what happened to MY WAY which was being driven and throttled by two of the most experienced high performance boaters around.

The best thing that could come of this is the hype and keyboard warriors to go away.

mikeg205
09-06-2012, 02:10 PM

I was thinking hard about this...and I am with you on this Sodar.... Sometimes I wish there were more laws...but operating a pleasure boat is not difficult... and a license for a pleasure craft will never fix stupid...or bad judgement.

Fortunately, there appears to be only a handful of serious accidents this year that we discussed versus the population of boat owners. Sad when someone gets hurt...

Sodar
09-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Even on the OSO thread a lot of those guys are key board warriors. While there is no doubt that the driver was negligent things happen fast. Just look at what happened to MY WAY which was being driven and throttled by two of the most experienced high performance boaters around.

The best thing that could come of this is the hype and keyboard warriors to go away.

My Way, Nashville Katz, there was a DCB that hooked in Havasu last year, a 27' Hallett stepped bottom that lost its way on Mead a few years back, it is the nature of the beast.

Either way, I am concerned that if this crap gets much more attention, that a 50 year old in an X-55 going 10 miles per hour pulling a surfer will be required to be wearing an orange horse collar. I live in Cali.... crappier things have occur in light of a single lame event.

jamisonsbrodie
09-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Here is video from CNN that shows some extra footage from afterward.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c4#/video/us/2012/09/05/vo-boaters-thrown-in-accident.lake-tv-mylaketv

snork
09-06-2012, 04:55 PM
the guy with the busted forehead "is everyone sunglasses ok"
blond hair mother " my hair, its wet and is a mess"
everyone else "***, where am I, how did I get here"

Will someone help me edit the boat driver over David Byrne in this video
as well as the remaining footage from CNN
Talk'n about go'n viral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1wg1DNHbNU

Kyle
09-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Watch the girl slam into the helm. She bends the throttle and gear shift levers.

Speaking from experience and loving to go fast on water and on the street the driver must remain in control the whole time period end of story. If he thought his years of experience gave him a cocky attitude to show off because of a camera crew and a bunch of guests then shame on him.

The stepped hull fountains are designed for lift and speed. That being said read the water and adjust the drives and tabs accordingly to where you are not flying the boat. It is clear in the video that the entire boat is coming out of the water by looking at the wake and by the way he was jamming the throttles along with the body movement of passengers before he lost total control. I have a hard time believing that if the tabs and drives were set right that it would not try to jump out of the water or chine walk as bad. 70mph is not fast in that kind of boat.

2'-3' chop is easy for a fountain to handle as long as the drives and tabs are set correctly and the driver is reading the water instead of just trying to haul ars.

JohnE
09-06-2012, 06:12 PM
I don't know much about those boats. But can someone explain how the driver went down like a rag doll?

snork
09-06-2012, 06:14 PM
I don't know much about those boats. But can someone explain how the driver went down like a rag doll?

Drunk off his Ars

JohnE
09-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Drunk off his Ars

That would explain it.

scott023
09-06-2012, 06:45 PM
That would explain it.

:uglyhamme

Weak legs perhaps?

etduc
09-06-2012, 07:01 PM

Real answer: Relativity.

Standing in the boat going say 60 mph, he is standing still relative to the boat. When the boat suddenly turns sideways, boat speed tries to go, to zero relative to the water. He on the other hand, is still travelling 60 mph relative to the water.

As in most speed sports, it's not the speed, but the sudden stop!

That's the best I can, explain it. Watched a program on Relativity/Einstein, on the History channel.

pmkkdx
09-06-2012, 07:46 PM

simple physics ... Newton's first law = a body in motion tends to stay in motion (paraphrased).

boat & passengers traveling 60 mph (or whatever speed they were traveling), boat hit wake/wave, kicks sideways, boat rapidly changes speed, people inside still traveling 60 mph towards side of the boat.

but I agree, looked freakishly ragdoll-like body slamming...

mikeg205
09-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Simple physics... as etduc states- the dude is movin' sideways probably about 30-40mph unexpectedly...if the boat was doing 60mph and then changed direction - let's be kind and say it slowed to 30mph when mayhem came by...that's 44 feet per second...so even if boat has a 9ft beam.....then add in the deck...probably traveled 7-8 feet in under .25 of a second...probably didn't not realize what happened until 5-6 seconds after event...

medicmoose
09-06-2012, 10:19 PM
...probably didn't not realize what happened until 5-6 seconds after event...

Based on the fact that you don't see him move at all at the end of the video...I'm guessing he wasn't able to remember much for a while after the event.

medicmoose
09-06-2012, 10:20 PM
:uglyhamme

Weak legs perhaps?

Yup...didn't put up much of a fight!! 8p

Redstorm
09-06-2012, 10:42 PM

Let me ask you this. If your child was one of the injured passengers in this boat.....would you be so quick to sweep it under the rug??

Redstorm
09-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Watch the girl slam into the helm. She bends the throttle and gear shift levers.

Speaking from experience and loving to go fast on water and on the street the driver must remain in control the whole time period end of story. If he thought his years of experience gave him a cocky attitude to show off because of a camera crew and a bunch of guests then shame on him.

The stepped hull fountains are designed for lift and speed. That being said read the water and adjust the drives and tabs accordingly to where you are not flying the boat. It is clear in the video that the entire boat is coming out of the water by looking at the wake and by the way he was jamming the throttles along with the body movement of passengers before he lost total control. I have a hard time believing that if the tabs and drives were set right that it would not try to jump out of the water or chine walk as bad. 70mph is not fast in that kind of boat.

2'-3' chop is easy for a fountain to handle as long as the drives and tabs are set correctly and the driver is reading the water instead of just trying to haul ars.

Kyle, I don't know you but I can tell by your post that you have experience. Most of all ....common sense! Your right...the camera and passengers played into his ego and his ego took over. He wanted speed no matter what cost. You can tell by the way he jerked those throttles. You nailed it in every paragraph!

ahhudgins
09-06-2012, 11:00 PM

My thoughts exactly. I believe things would have been done differently if there wasn't a camera in the boat. Everyone wanted to look "Cool". I've had this same discussion with my two sons: 19 and 24 years old. I have never let either of them take the boat out on the water without me due to actions that I have observed when they bring friends along. My 19year old has passed his exam but you could never tell it when he brought 6 of his friends along last weekend. They were all too busy texting and emailing pictures to help me give instructions to his friends learning on the boom, or give me a "down" when one of them fell behind the boat. When it was finally my turn to ski, it took him two tries to bring me the handle and he overshot picking me up by 30 feet. He knows how to handle the boat but things are completely different when his friends are around and he is trying to impress them.

Redstorm
09-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Either way, I am concerned that if this crap gets much more attention, that a 50 year old in an X-55 going 10 miles per hour pulling a surfer will be required to be wearing an orange horse collar. I live in Cali.... crappier things have occur in light of a single lame event.

I am in Cali as well. I feel we live in the most retarded state! Well...I'm 51 and I now have an excuse to get the X55'. LoL:D. To safe boating! :toast:

ttu
09-06-2012, 11:34 PM
My thoughts exactly. I believe things would have been done differently if there wasn't a camera in the boat. Everyone wanted to look "Cool". I've had this same discussion with my two sons: 19 and 24 years old. I have never let either of them take the boat out on the water without me due to actions that I have observed when they bring friends along. My 19year old has passed his exam but you could never tell it when he brought 6 of his friends along last weekend. They were all too busy texting and emailing pictures to help me give instructions to his friends learning on the boom, or give me a "down" when one of them fell behind the boat. When it was finally my turn to ski, it took him two tries to bring me the handle and he overshot picking me up by 30 feet. He knows how to handle the boat but things are completely different when his friends are around and he is trying to impress them.

you know i find what you said very interesting! my son turns 19 this month and has driven the boat with me with him since he was 14. with that being said i had really hoped he would show me the maturity to take the boat out with just a couple of his friends and get some good wakeboard sets in. he never felt like i would trust him enough or his friends. i simply told him to let me just tag along one time and watch the three of them put the boat in the water, pick up the driver and just see how they handled the day. he wasn't interested. weird thing is my dad let me and friends take good ole dad's boat out and ski all the time. but we knew it had to be back in the same condition it was in we took it out.

with that being said my son has always done a great job either pulling me skiing, wakeboarding or surfing. maybe i just set to high of expectations of him

snork
09-06-2012, 11:47 PM
That would explain it.

You could say relativity but it would not be an effect if the DA had the proper restraints
wear your set belt and it'll keep you from fly'n through the windshield

MIskier
09-07-2012, 09:37 AM
You could say relativity but it would not be an effect if the DA had the proper restraints
wear your set belt and it'll keep you from fly'n through the windshield

There is a reason open boats don't have seating restraints...if the boat goes over you dontnget thrown and instead your head comes off. The company I work for actually takes being able to clear the windshield into account when designing.

MIskier
09-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Let me ask you this. If your child was one of the injured passengers in this boat.....would you be so quick to sweep it under the rug??
I certainly wouldn't post it to youtube so people could make dub stepnremixs to it...

No one was at fault other than the people in the boat, so the last thing needed is keyboard warriors making ignorantncomments. High performance boating isn't just going for a Sunday cruise and if you wouldn't trust your driver with your life under normal circumstances you shouldn't get on that boat with them.

Accountability...more people could use more of it.

The problem with this video is so few people actually understand high speed boating that it affects everyone in the sport in a bad way.