PDA

View Full Version : a driveline repair thread . . .

strad
09-04-2012, 04:47 PM
I thought rather than asking questions peacemeal I'd start a thread where I can ask those questions and post progress, and those of you with knowledge and inclination can check in now and then to see how I'm doing. This is a 1984 powerslot boat that had an unfortunate date with a sandbar (before I purchased it). Bent the drive shaft, may have bent the strut, and gouged the hull with the prop. Bent the prop too of course. The first question I have concerns the strut (first pic). Now, to me it looks like it has a slight bow in the vertical part between the mounting plate and the part the shaft rides in. Very slight, almost so I wouldn't notice. To me it looks like about midway up (or down) it bows to the right in the pic. How would I go about knowing for sure? I plan to have new bushings pressed into it.
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz212/mgheffner/iphonepics169.jpg

Bent driveshaft:
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz212/mgheffner/iphonepics168.jpg

I plan to replace the packing and that rubber hose and nose clamps between it and the shaft log. Alignment of shaft and trans looked good. They were right in line with each other even when I disconnected them. Is there anything in the shaft log in the way of bearings that needs attention?

Also, this engine appears to have some oil seepage (ok, maybe more than seepage -- won't know until I get a chance to run it up to temp, which will be after the accident damage is repaired) between the left head and the block. Midway back, and all the way to the rear of the engine. It is on the outside, under the exhaust manifold. Is this common? It is a 351 btw.

jmw
09-05-2012, 04:57 PM
The strut does appear to bent and by looking at the shaft it's more than likely bent. That being said, it doesn't look bent near as bad as I would have expected and you can probably get the shaft aligned with the transmission by adjusting the motor when you put it back together, if you're on a very tight budget. If it was mine, I would replace the strut that way you know everything is straight and ensure no alignment problems/vibrations. If you search you will find plenty of threads on this... but here is a start.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48427

As far as the oil, I'm sure someone familiar with the 351 will post up but I don't think it's common.

ahhudgins
09-05-2012, 05:20 PM
I agree with jimw. When I bought my 95 the strut looked fine but the bushings were worn on opposite sides. When I unbolted the shaft coupling from the transmission, the couplings were about 1/2 out of alignment side to side. My strut had a slight twist in it but I couldn't see it. If you have it off, I would replace it and never look back. I bought a new shaft, strut, bushings, and an OJ XMP 4 blade. Been happy ever since.:D
Good luck.

Cloaked
09-05-2012, 05:52 PM
I thought rather than asking questions peacemeal I'd start a thread where I can ask those questions and post progress, and those of you with knowledge and inclination can check in now and then to see how I'm doing. This is a 1984 powerslot boat that had an unfortunate date with a sandbar (before I purchased it). Bent the drive shaft, may have bent the strut, and gouged the hull with the prop. Bent the prop too of course. The first question I have concerns the strut (first pic). Now, to me it looks like it has a slight bow in the vertical part between the mounting plate and the part the shaft rides in. Very slight, almost so I wouldn't notice. To me it looks like about midway up (or down) it bows to the right in the pic. How would I go about knowing for sure? I plan to have new bushings pressed into it.

Bent driveshaft:
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz212/mgheffner/iphonepics168.jpg

I plan to replace the packing and that rubber hose and nose clamps between it and the shaft log. Alignment of shaft and trans looked good. They were right in line with each other even when I disconnected them. Is there anything in the shaft log in the way of bearings that needs attention?

Also, this engine appears to have some oil seepage (ok, maybe more than seepage -- won't know until I get a chance to run it up to temp, which will be after the accident damage is repaired) between the left head and the block. Midway back, and all the way to the rear of the engine. It is on the outside, under the exhaust manifold. Is this common? It is a 351 btw.Nice shoes... :D

strad
09-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Update: well it's now more of a "driveline replacement" thread than a "repair" thread. New ARE driveshaft system, new packing for the packing gland (and new hose between gland and shaft log, with new hose clamps), new strut with cutlass bearing already installed from Mastercraft, and new prop from OJ props (14 X 18 4 blade). Also bought a raw water impeller. All of it should be here by mid-next week, and I should be able to go up to Salinas and get the boat the following weekend (install the driveline while I'm there).

Yes, it was a chunk of change, but the way I look at it the boat still is under 4k all told (actually will be about 4k with purchase of new tires and spare wheel and tire for trailer). How else could I have gotten such a nice boat for the same money :D