PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat repair or more?

Legolamb
09-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Got a ding on the bottom of my boat, can I repair this with some patch paste, or do I need to fill it in with something else? Looks to be about an 1/8" deep. :(

madcityskier
09-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Looks pretty deep. How wide, nothing to judge scale by, but I'm guessing about 2"? I've patched something similar on an older i/o with some 2 part marine epoxy by the name Power Poxy. It sealed up a much bigger hole on the hull which was leaking substantially. It can be smoothed up fairly well and sanded smooth with a 400 ish grit sand paper. It will be an obvious patch, and definately not as strong as the original finish, but mine has lasted about 8 years so far. Depends how anal you are.

CCAnderson
09-04-2012, 05:25 PM
If into the fibers then then resin first, then patch paste. Gel coat is like paint, not structural like fiber and resin.

Gravy
09-04-2012, 07:39 PM
^agreed...definately hit about 3/4-1" around the area first with a grinder or 36-80 (ish)grit paper on a sander then apply some resin. first apply resin to a small cut out piece of fiberglass mat, apply over divot then with a small brush give the area another coat of resin. Let that sit overnight at least. if it needs to be smoothed a little more, or the area is still a divot(a low spot), (sand again to rough up the area with 80 grit paper)...then apply some epoxy/patch paste, again let dry overnight and sand smooth with 180to320 grit sandpaper. then apply a couple coats of gelcoat with a small brush or i like cut down the small size interior house paint rollers for touch ups, a small touch up spray gun may work also..gelcoat is thick so i usually use a brush or mini roller. our bodyshop has 2" rollers you can get from any ppg/or dupont store. the same store will have resin and touch up brushes

Drew
hope this helps.

MC209
09-04-2012, 07:40 PM
get some gel coat. gobb a bunch on. wet sand and buff. gel coat is easy and very forgiving. just give it a try, you will be amazed what you can fix.

Legolamb
09-05-2012, 06:49 AM
Thanks for all the tips, damage is only about 1" x 3/4", the pictures are taken close up.

CC2MC
09-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Got a ding on the bottom of my boat, can I repair this with some patch paste, or do I need to fill it in with something else? Looks to be about an 1/8" deep. :(

Gel coat or the patch should be fine for this application. While what Gravy said would work well, I think it is a little overkill. The only thing I would add is to not go over 220 grit sandpaper to give the gelcoat something to grab onto. 180 would probably be about right. When applying, make sure you tape off the other areas outside the damaged area. There are a couple of different ways to do it though. You could get some butcher paper and apply it directly to the top of the new gel or patch. If you do it right, you can peel thepaper right off and no sanding or buffing is needed.

maristardd
09-05-2012, 04:35 PM
+1 on taping off nearby good areas. I patched some similar divots, and spent a lot of time sanding off extra gel coat from the areas immediately next to ding that didn't need it in the first place.

My other 'learning' is that the white of my 94 is not the same white as basic gel coat. I need to try mixing for color match or buying the spectrum premix on next pass.

I didn't get it fully finished / flush the first pass. But I did want to seal hole/exposed fiberglass before putting boat in water and having fun. I understand that is what is most important, otherwise the fiberglass will wick/absorb water.