PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Video Cameras for Skiing

aswinter05
09-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Getting ready to purchase a nice video camera before our vacation to ski school. I've heard of several people using the Go Pro Heros. Obviously it has to be waterproof since 95% of the video we take is of watersports.

So far I'm leaning towards the Go Pro Hero 2. Does anyone else have a different suggestion that I should check out? Also, do any video cameras actually float in addition to being waterproof?

The main things that are important to us: Waterproof, high res/quality, versatile when it comes to connecting to computers and/or TV's, and possibly floating?

Thanks for your help!

ncsone
09-04-2012, 10:43 AM
I have been happy with my Contour Roam camera. Used it for snow skiing, etc. and it was worked well. We have had it out on the boat, but not out waterskiing. So far, so good. A little smaller form than the GoPro and several mounts to choose from.

maristardd
09-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Are you wearing camera, or having person in boat shoot you? If the latter, the point of view sport cameras like Contour or Gopro might not be good since they don't have optical zoom - you will look small in the video frame.

aswinter05
09-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Mostly the shooting will be done from the boat. We would also like to attempt having someone in a tube video tape at short line. Also, eventually we would like to purchase the helmet mount, etc.

So there's no zoom at all on go pros or contour? ?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Tri4X2
09-04-2012, 11:42 AM
GoPRo nor Contour have Zooms.... great for on body or on board filming. In the boat I would look at either a Cannon Digital SLR body camera that takes HD video or something of that sort. These are the two things that we use both inside and out side of the boat. GoPro HD for in the water.... Cannon for IN the boat.