PDA

View Full Version : Made Fox 8 News...

jkski
09-04-2012, 06:05 AM
Well, I guess we made Fox 8 News or should I say our boat made it. When we got to the lake yesterday a guy was doing a story as we were getting ready to launch, really didn't think much of it until I watched the news last night and saw our boat.

http://fox8.com/2012/09/03/deputies-patrol-waters-for-alcohol-use-on-labor-day/

Kinda cool.

Double D
09-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Well, I guess we made Fox 8 News or should I say our boat made it. When we got to the lake yesterday a guy was doing a story as we were getting ready to launch, really didn't think much of it until I watched the news last night and saw our boat.

Kinda cool.

Gotcha several times in that video. Your a movie star! I thought about going up there since the SF trip was bust. But I didn't know you were going and zsqure was off the lake by 11:00 ish.

hondaprlud
09-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Gotcha several times in that video. Your a movie star! I thought about going up there since the SF trip was bust. But I didn't know you were going and zsqure was off the lake by 11:00 ish.

That's because they knew to give the ski boat props.

jkski
09-04-2012, 08:57 AM
It was a last minute decision to go as I really thought it was going to rain but we wanted to get Josh out to swim a bit and cool off. There were 3 patrol boats on the water and they were pulling a lot of people over.....I had my inspection done the first time out this year and actually permitted them to place the sticker on my winshield otherwise I am sure they would have stopped us which would have been fine.

The guy shooting the footage never said anything to us so we just went about our business and got on the water.

mzimme
09-04-2012, 09:51 AM
You guys can't even HAVE beer out there? That would kind of suck to not even be able to enjoy a brew responsibly.

milkmania
09-04-2012, 11:01 AM

Kinda cool.

was gonna ask for your autograph;)

Double D
09-04-2012, 11:16 AM
was gonna ask for your autograph;)

Freakin Movie Star!! Everything matches the boat, red and black!! Love it!! I think those stripes on them there shorts even match up a bit to the 40th anniversary striping??

zsqure
09-04-2012, 12:02 PM
I bet those shorts came with the boat.

scott023
09-04-2012, 01:04 PM
I bet those shorts came with the boat.

:uglyhamme

jkski
09-04-2012, 01:32 PM
LOL.....livin large. I am fashion challenged to say the least so my wife shops for everything and YES, the shorts match the check pattern on the boat. While they did not come with the boat, for the right price they could go with it!!!
My 15 seconds of fame and I wasn't even ready for it....the truck is a little dirty!

As for my autograph, you will have to speak with my agent on that one, we are getting a lot of requests.

trickskier
09-04-2012, 01:36 PM
So --- If I heard the reporter correctly, you cannot have an open container on the boat? Is this an Ohio state law or just this county? Nice boat BTW!!! :D

snork
09-04-2012, 01:46 PM
I love the technique the patrol used to tie off the dock cleat, rookie patrol warrior

Plymouth Family Guy
09-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Our family of five in our Mastercraft was the lead story on the local Fox affiliate's 9 PM newscast on July 3, 2011. The reporter approached us as we were leaving a restaurant on the lake and said he was doing a story on boating safety for the 4th of July. The reporter and the camera guy joined us for a 10 minute ride on the lake. We have the footage on our DVR, but could never find the story on their website in order to share it on TeamTalk.

It appears to me that Fox news reporters are drawn to Mastercrafts :D.

jkski
09-04-2012, 01:58 PM
So --- If I heard the reporter correctly, you cannot have an open container on the boat? Is this an Ohio state law or just this county? Nice boat BTW!!! :D

The law, as I understand it, is for the entire state of Ohio and does not permit any alcohol, open or otherwise, on the boat. Getting caught with it even on the boat, whether the driver has any or not, is immediate cause for them impounding your boat. I don't know how many of the patrol guys will take it that far, guess it depends on how you act towards them.

This lake in particular, as the report says, has several bars/restaurants on it and it lends itself to bar hoping. 90% of the lake is no wake, shallow (5-10 feet) and it winds around with the vast majority of boaters being in pontoons. Those most familiar with the lake, or the locals, just put their drinks in a non-descript cup if they so choose to drink.

For me, it is the closest lake to my house that my son can get in the water and swim/splash to his hearts content.

trickskier
09-04-2012, 02:17 PM
The law, as I understand it, is for the entire state of Ohio and does not permit any alcohol, open or otherwise, on the boat. Getting caught with it even on the boat, whether the driver has any or not, is immediate cause for them impounding your boat. I don't know how many of the patrol guys will take it that far, guess it depends on how you act towards them.

This lake in particular, as the report says, has several bars/restaurants on it and it lends itself to bar hoping. 90% of the lake is no wake, shallow (5-10 feet) and it winds around with the vast majority of boaters being in pontoons. Those most familiar with the lake, or the locals, just put their drinks in a non-descript cup if they so choose to drink.

For me, it is the closest lake to my house that my son can get in the water and swim/splash to his hearts content.

WOW! - In Florida we're allowed to have open containers on the boat and the driver is allowed to drink as well. That being said - The FWC is always looking for impaired drivers and a BUI alcohol level is the same as a DUI - .08

You can refuse to take a field sobriety test - The worst they can do is revoke your registration.

jkski
09-04-2012, 02:24 PM
Around here they pretty much have a zero-tolerance policy and will find a reason to search your boat if they suspect anything. In my younger years I can recall having the local patrol pull-up and want to inspect my boat quite often...call it profiling but I really did not care as I was doing nothing wrong and had nothing to hide. This is the first year that I have allowed them to place their inspection sticker on my window, simply because I did not want them pulling up to me while I was anchored, playing with my son and wanting to inspect my boat (they did this last year while he was sleeping on the floor and felt I needed to hear their rather loud horn....scaring the crap out of the little guy and I had already had the inspection done, just did not put the sticker on...so I was in the wrong and learned my lesson).

DooSPX
09-04-2012, 02:26 PM
WOW! - In Florida we're allowed to have open containers on the boat and the driver is allowed to drink as well. That being said - The FWC is always looking for impaired drivers and a BUI alcohol level is the same as a DUI - .08

You can refuse to take a field sobriety test - The worst they can do is revoke your registration.

Really? on our lake, the Lake Patrol made my dad pore out an open container on his pontoon boat? when asked about it, the officer responded that open containers are not allowed. :confused:

trickskier
09-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Around here they pretty much have a zero-tolerance policy and will find a reason to search your boat if they suspect anything. In my younger years I can recall having the local patrol pull-up and want to inspect my boat quite often...call it profiling but I really did not care as I was doing nothing wrong and had nothing to hide. This is the first year that I have allowed them to place their inspection sticker on my window, simply because I did not want them pulling up to me while I was anchored, playing with my son and wanting to inspect my boat (they did this last year while he was sleeping on the floor and felt I needed to hear their rather loud horn....scaring the crap out of the little guy and I had already had the inspection done, just did not put the sticker on...so I was in the wrong and learned my lesson).

I usually stop the marine patrol and ask them to give me a safety check & get the sticker for that very reason - I don't want to be pulled over just to be inspected. The lake where I boat the most the FWC knows me and leaves me alone. Plus I go though a military base to launch!

CC2MC
09-04-2012, 02:38 PM
LOL.....livin large. I am fashion challenged to say the least so my wife shops for everything and YES, the shorts match the check pattern on the boat. While they did not come with the boat, for the right price they could go with it!!!
My 15 seconds of fame and I wasn't even ready for it....the truck is a little dirty!

As for my autograph, you will have to speak with my agent on that one, we are getting a lot of requests.

So did the Sheriff check your boat out? I know there have been some checks at our local ramps here recently and it has made one particular business owner mad bc he was losing business because of that. I thought nothing of it bc I used to live in FL and that was common practice at the ramps there.

I have been stopped twice by the water patrol and once was bc I was riding passenger on a Sea Doo behind a friend and he was much shorter than I, so they wanted to make sure he was of age. We were probably about 17 or so at the time. The last time, was when my dad was pulling my 2 yr old son and I on a tube at idle in front of our dock. Thankfully the guy was cool about it though and just said that we needed a spotter since I didn't have mirrors. I think having the guy with a head full of grey hair was my saving grace on that one. If I would have been driving, it would have been a ticket for sure.

Nice looking boat too!

trickskier
09-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Really? on our lake, the Lake Patrol made my dad pore out an open container on his pontoon boat? when asked about it, the officer responded that open containers are not allowed. :confused:

There may be certain lakes or counties that have different laws - But the State of Florida does allow open containers.

DooSPX
09-04-2012, 02:40 PM
figures it would be our county, a county where the average age is 60+. Oh yeah, have to watch out for the drunk old guys in their pontoons! lol

trickskier
09-04-2012, 02:47 PM

Here's all it says on the FWC website:

Boating Under the Influence
■It is a violation of Florida law to operate a vessel while impaired by alcohol or other drugs. A vessel operator suspected of boating under the influence must submit to sobriety tests and a physical or chemical test to determine blood- or breath-alcohol content.
■In Florida, a vessel operator is presumed to be under the influence if their blood- or breath-alcohol level is at or above .08.
■Any person under 21 years of age who is found to have a breath-alcohol level of .02 or higher and operates or is in actual physical control of a vessel is in violation of Florida law.

jkski
09-04-2012, 03:08 PM
So did the Sheriff check your boat out? I know there have been some checks at our local ramps here recently and it has made one particular business owner mad bc he was losing business because of that. I thought nothing of it bc I used to live in FL and that was common practice at the ramps there.

I have been stopped twice by the water patrol and once was bc I was riding passenger on a Sea Doo behind a friend and he was much shorter than I, so they wanted to make sure he was of age. We were probably about 17 or so at the time. The last time, was when my dad was pulling my 2 yr old son and I on a tube at idle in front of our dock. Thankfully the guy was cool about it though and just said that we needed a spotter since I didn't have mirrors. I think having the guy with a head full of grey hair was my saving grace on that one. If I would have been driving, it would have been a ticket for sure.

Nice looking boat too!

Thanks. No, the Sheriff did not even bother with us as they saw the sticker on our window and kept on going. My wife said the camera guy filming while we were backing in made the comment..."I have never seen a set of kickin' wheels like that on a boat trailer".....obviously that ended up on the cutting room floor.

trickskier
09-04-2012, 03:14 PM
figures it would be our county, a county where the average age is 60+. Oh yeah, have to watch out for the drunk old guys in their pontoons! lol

Finally found this on the FWC website - Sorry for the thread-jack!

Consuming alcohol on a boat.

Published 08/01/2006 04:13 PM | Updated 10/14/2011 11:06 AM

What laws apply to consuming alcohol on a boat? Does the open container law apply?
There is no open container law on a vessel in Florida. Alcoholic beverages may be on board and may be consumed by anyone at least 21 years old while boating.

It is a criminal offense to operate a vessel while under the influence of alcoholic beverages, chemical or controlled substances. In Florida, a vessel operator is presumed to be under the influence if their blood or breath alcohol level is at or above .08.

A person who is lawfully arrested for an alleged violation of Florida Statute 327.53 (boating under the influence) and who refuses to submit to a blood test, breath test, or urine test pursuant to Florida Statute 327.352 is subject to a civil penalty of $500 and charged with a misdemeanor for a previous refusal. You can read Florida Statutes in their entirety at http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm.

Any person under 21 years of age who is found to have a breath alcohol level of .02 or higher and operates or is in actual physical control of a vessel is in violation of Florida law.

Jerseydave
09-04-2012, 06:04 PM
So the busiest lake in Ohio does not allow closed or open containers PLUS it only has an average depth of 5-10 feet PLUS it's the busiest lake in Ohio? (ok I said that part twice) :D