PDA

View Full Version : Grease fittings for 2001 PS 209 Steering Cable

Gamble
09-03-2012, 10:13 PM
guys, experiencing some stiffer steering and wondering where I may find the grease fittings on my 209.....been getting a little better after use but I think it could stand a chance to be greased.....Thanks in advance.

peason
09-03-2012, 10:28 PM
The only one I know of is back by the rudder. You need to open up the back storage area and take out the plastic floor to expose where the cable meets the rudder - below your gas tank. There is a cutout in the gas tank that exposes this area. There should be a zerk fitting to grease.

JimN
09-03-2012, 10:54 PM
This is supposed to be greased annually. Just part of what a dealer is supposed to do. If no dealer, the owner needs to get a list of service procedures and NOT skip any of them.

Gamble
09-04-2012, 08:46 AM
well Jim, that's what I'm trying to do....hence the reason for the post. Do you have any helpful advice on where to grease it? Peason, thanks for the help. Is the part I need to remove going to be found under the 2 storage hatches that gives access to the grease fitting or do I need to remove part of the floor?

Rossterman
09-04-2012, 09:07 AM
When cable get old, steering can also get stiff. Dealer says the wire rusts squeezing the ID of the cable sheath tighter against the cable. When that happens, you need to replace as greasing won't fix it. Seems like if they used stainless wire, it would last forever...

JimN
09-04-2012, 09:24 AM
well Jim, that's what I'm trying to do....hence the reason for the post. Do you have any helpful advice on where to grease it? Peason, thanks for the help. Is the part I need to remove going to be found under the 2 storage hatches that gives access to the grease fitting or do I need to remove part of the floor?

If you look at the steering rack, it should have at least one fitting and on the rudder box, you should see two. The knuckles on the steering cable at the rudder box should have one on each joint.

Remove the engine cover and the section of flooring behind it to get at the fittings.

If you know someone who's about a foot tall and has great manual dexterity, hire them- this can be a PITA.

peason
09-04-2012, 09:48 AM
yes, it should be under the carpeted floor piece in your storage area. I have not had to remove any of the flooring to get to the fitting.

Gamble
09-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Cool thanks guys! Jim, I'm short, but I'm sure glad my work cronies can't access your post about finding someone 1 foot tall....I'd never hear the end of that! Is there a grease fitting under the helm? If there is, then I'll begin there and work my way back....thanks again for the replies.

JimN
09-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Cool thanks guys! Jim, I'm short, but I'm sure glad my work cronies can't access your post about finding someone 1 foot tall....I'd never hear the end of that! Is there a grease fitting under the helm? If there is, then I'll begin there and work my way back....thanks again for the replies.

I did car audio and a 2' tall person would have been perfect for that. My back was toast for a long time due to that and I'm 6'-2".