PDA

View Full Version : Water too low. Can't get boat off hoist.

rand49er
09-03-2012, 04:23 PM
I guess this is a major disadvantage to cantilever hoists; they can only go a fixed distance up and down. Well, it's been incredibly dry with minimal rain around here, and we just haven't had the luxury of using the boat very often, so this issue has crept up on us. When describing my problem to a neighbor, he suggested using a come-along winch. The only object to secure to is the lift itself, so I bought two 2-ton come-alongs at Lowe's. My plan is to attach them (one each) to the two rear upright legs of the hoist and take a loop of strapping around through the eyelet on the bow and back to the other come-along. By winching them each the same amount, the boat should be gradually moved rearward. That's my theory, anyway.

My key question is, the boat's hull will be in the water but not much, and I'm wondering if the those rear hoist legs will take the strain. What do you think?

Traxx822
09-03-2012, 04:41 PM
That sucks. Go for it. Sounds like you have a good plan to get it far enough to back out. Knowing me i'd just hook up another boat with a tow starp and just pull it off. Thats just me. How do you plan to get it back on the lift?

Redstorm
09-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Any pics? Love to see your dilemma. Is your boat suspended above the water?

rand49er
09-03-2012, 04:53 PM
There's no room to get another boat to pull from behind as there's another row of boat slips. We just bought a second home on the lake, but we're at a marina with the boat still. Even backing the boat up once it's off the hoist is slightly tight. Once the season ends (which is pretty soon), the marina will pull our hoist out, and I'll contract with someone to haul it to the other end of the lake where our cottage is.

We need a bunch of precipitation this fall, winter, and next spring. Lake is down probably 16-18 or so inches from the spring-time high.

rand49er
09-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Any pics? Love to see your dilemma. Is your boat suspended above the water?Since we've been busy with issues elsewhere, the last time I tried to get it off the hoist, the boat was in the water, but not enough to float it. I'm going to try my plan this evening, and I'll try to get some pics and post them up.

kalamalka
09-03-2012, 05:00 PM
That happened to my brother. we used a liquid called glycol to rub on the bunks and sprayed in along the boat hull where it was sitting on the carpet. its a very slippery liquid used for synthetic ice surfaces for hockey training up here and it wont damage the boat at all. we had to rent a winch to pull it off. the thing to remember is that you wont be able to get it back on. hope this helps

Redstorm
09-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Goodluck and hope everything works out!

rand49er
09-03-2012, 05:21 PM
That happened to my brother. we used a liquid called glycol to rub on the bunks and sprayed in along the boat hull where it was sitting on the carpet. its a very slippery liquid used for synthetic ice surfaces for hockey training up here and it wont damage the boat at all. we had to rent a winch to pull it off. the thing to remember is that you wont be able to get it back on. hope this helpsI thought of taking a can of silicone spray I have, but not sure how much would make it to where it needs to be.

I won't be putting it back on the hoist this year. Our cottage is two houses away from the public ramp (with a nice little grove of trees to shield our view, fortunately), so I'll use that for the few remaining voyages that's left this summer.

Goodluck and hope everything works out!Thanks!

madcityskier
09-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Are the bunks raised from the cradle in such a manner that they could be lowered?

thatsmrmastercraft
09-03-2012, 06:34 PM
I've heard of guys using a pressure washer to dig out under the feet of the lift to drop it down some.

wheelerlake
09-03-2012, 08:28 PM
We have the same problem. The lake is down about 12 inches. Last week I could just get the fins over the bar with no one in the boat. This week my son and I had to actually lift the front of the boat and push to clear the fins and we gouged a chunk of the wood off the lift. All I could think of was the guy who hit something and his fins pushed up through his boat! Needless to say it's not going back on this year, surgery the 12th anyway. We put it as far forward as we could so it's under the canopy, the front is on the back bunkers. One or two more ski runs before taking it out for the season anyway. Good luck with your dilemma, it sucks!

Ben
09-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Looks like you may have done this by now but another idea could be to try and get some tubes under it and inflate once in position to lift the boat up.

rand49er
09-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Okay, went there and ran into someone I know (my 9-yr-old son's friend's father ... a pilot who had the day off). This was very serendipitous, actually, since he and his wife were there with a few other couples getting ready to go back out onto the lake. Well, the guys volunteered to help and, fueled with a few beers, they all pushed, and to my surprise, the boat inched off the hoist and floated into the four feet of water surrounding the hoist. I was on my way. Since I had promised them some beer if they helped (mostly as a joke), I later went back to their empty boat slip and left a 12-pack of Molson on the dock.

So, the plan did not need to be implemented after all, so I'll (hopefully) never know if it would've worked. Thanks to all those who wished me luck and who provided advice!

This is indeed a great forum!

Redstorm
09-04-2012, 02:05 AM
Right on! Glad it worked out for you! I know you feel a hell of a lot better and relieved.

Granite_33
09-04-2012, 02:42 PM
I had that dilemma a few months ago with my Hewitt cantilever.

My option: move the lift about 5ft deeper into the lake, or remove the boat and set it on the trailer until the water returned to normal.

Father in laws option: Force it on and off the lift using a large tractor. (easy to pull on to the lift, he never explained how he would push it off)

The water never returned to normal. And had I gone with FIL route, the boat would still be on the lift high and dry, since the water has not returned to normal.

I cant believe he seriously thought that sliding a boat along carpeted bunks would be good for the gelcoat.

Anyway, glad it worked out for you!

BTW, we have big 4'x4' industrial foam rafts that we slipped under the cross members. Floated the lift enough for me to maneuver the lift out with one other person. (sans boat, of course:D)

rand49er
09-05-2012, 11:33 AM
I had that dilemma a few months ago with my Hewitt cantilever.

My option: move the lift about 5ft deeper into the lake, or remove the boat and set it on the trailer until the water returned to normal.

Father in laws option: Force it on and off the lift using a large tractor. (easy to pull on to the lift, he never explained how he would push it off)

The water never returned to normal. And had I gone with FIL route, the boat would still be on the lift high and dry, since the water has not returned to normal.

I cant believe he seriously thought that sliding a boat along carpeted bunks would be good for the gelcoat.

Anyway, glad it worked out for you!

BTW, we have big 4'x4' industrial foam rafts that we slipped under the cross members. Floated the lift enough for me to maneuver the lift out with one other person. (sans boat, of course:D)"20 minutes from the Big House?" Our cottage is about the same with our primary residence about 30 minutes.

Go Blue!