PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded topic..Winter Storage

nowakes
09-02-2005, 02:17 PM
I currently don't own a garage, and am interested in hearing your pro's/con's to both inside and outside storage for a 197 with a mini-tower.

AirJunky
09-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Bottom line as far north as where you are, cover it well. Winterize it. And stick a couple of Dry-Z-Air containers in there &/or go visit West Marine & get one of their dehumidifer fans. Prop the engine cover up a couple inches & stick a 100 watt shoplight (or two) in there. Inside you won't have issues with snow, ice, etc. Even a carport would be better than nothing at all.

JDK
09-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Are there any cons to inside storage? You've got an expensive boat..... pay a couple of hundred $$$ to put it inside.

AirJunky
09-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Are there any cons to inside storage?
Depending on where your storing it...... cost? Or ease of getting it out if you want to take a mid-winter ride.

JDK
09-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Two phrases that don't go to together..... Detroit and mid-winter ride :eek: :D

rodltg2
09-02-2005, 02:50 PM
i ski year round , im no help

Leroy
09-02-2005, 03:54 PM
They can both work well, however outside you will be subjecting the trailer to the elements (moisture on disc's, rust in the hitch area) and probably part of the hull will get more sun exposure. Store your teak inside if you have teak. You will have to make sure your cover is on very, very well.

I would not put a light bulb in, no reason to and I've known of several boats catch fire during winter with light bulb inside. Power glitch and gas fumes...kaboom.

My marina just sent info, outside with shrink wrap, $500, inside, no shrink wrap $615. For the value of your boat I would find a place inside.

AirJunky
09-02-2005, 03:58 PM
Two phrases that don't go to together..... Detroit and mid-winter ride :eek: :D
HEhehe, come on, I'm further north than Detroit & we do it every year. I'm sure there is a polar bear club there. :smile:

Crash
09-02-2005, 04:01 PM
i ski year round , im no help
Thanks, that was a big help. :) :)

Mine was kept inside a self-locked storage unit. Didn't want anything to hit my baby in the off season and another big plus of your own unit is you can put all your other summer crap in there also. (like skiis, boards, bikes, lawn chairs, etc.)

Depending on where you live, I noticed prices drop drastically if you drive 1/2 or more from urban areas. And since you only make the trip twice, spring and fall, its not a big inconvience.

Chef23
09-02-2005, 04:07 PM
We have stored boats outside up in MA for years. I have a frame made of wood that I put in it and a tarp over the top of the frame that I tie around the boat. I don't use the mooring cover just winterize and put my other cover system on it. Never had any problems and the boat always starts right up the next year.

Hoff1
09-02-2005, 04:17 PM
I pay $600/year for storage. It's not climate controlled, but it's out of the sun and elements. I'd think you could find something decently priced for 1/2 year.

MasterMason
09-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Like Rod, I put the cover on it and then take it off when I want to go out. Nothing like a little run in December :) I gues thats why it is so expensive to live here huh?

mitch
09-02-2005, 06:23 PM
I'm in Climate controlled storage 70 degrees all winter :D . They both work, but I would opt for indoor if possible. Spend the $

André
09-02-2005, 06:25 PM
Stop using the "W" word.It's the beginning of September...Go out and ski!!!

Danimal
09-02-2005, 06:27 PM
I'm blessed with indoor storage for free out at my brother-in-laws farm. He also stores my camper indoors and my ice shanty in the summer. He's a good guy!