PDA

View Full Version : Rudder upgrade for 2002 209 / X-9

JerryW
09-03-2012, 11:43 AM
I need to replace a bent rudder on our 2002 X-9. I've read all the posts I can find here on upgrading to the 2006 rudder and the benefits of it, but they all seem to be for different models, and not a 209.

From the various posts on rudders, and looking at what is listed on SkiertoSkier.com and Waterskis.com websites, it looks like there may be two different ones that would work. Model 161 which looks like a duck bill with a notch cut out of the top trailing edge, and a 162, which has a rounded bottom, and stretches out towards the trailing edge.

Has anyone done the rudder upgrade on a 209 or X-9, and if so, what model rudder did you go to, and what changes or improvements did you see?

JerryW
04-22-2013, 09:27 AM
I need to replace a bent rudder on our 2002 X-9. I've read all the posts I can find here on upgrading to the 2006 rudder and the benefits of it, but they all seem to be for different models, and not a 209.

From the various posts on rudders, and looking at what is listed on SkiertoSkier.com and Waterskis.com websites, it looks like there may be two different ones that would work. Model 161 which looks like a duck bill with a notch cut out of the top trailing edge, and a 162, which has a rounded bottom, and stretches out towards the trailing edge.

Has anyone done the rudder upgrade on a 209 or X-9, and if so, what model rudder did you go to, and what changes or improvements did you see?
I'll answer my own question - the 162 is too much rudder for this size boat. At cruising or skiing speed, if you turn hard to one side, it is very hard to turn back to going straight, or to the other side. I went to the 161, which is what they are using on the Prostars and 214's currently.

Nelsonjeff79
04-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Jerry, as a newer 209 owner, what prop comes on the boat the 162?. My prop looks good but has a few minor dings on it and would rather upgrade than fix!

JerryW
04-22-2013, 08:59 PM
The 162 I was referring to is a rudder, not a prop. The prop typically depends on the year and engine and or transmission you have.