PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a MC Tri-Star 190

scot w.
09-03-2012, 11:29 AM
First of all I would like to introduce myself as I am new here and also to boating! With that being said my son (16) is wanting dad to get a wake board boat so him and his friends can do some wake boarding.. This boat will mainly be for weekend excursions on the lake with our two sons and their friends having fun. No pro-wake boarding just a bunch of beginners! LOL

I have found a 1989 Master Craft tri-star 190 "Open Bow" with approx 1,000 hrs on it..They are asking $4,500 obo for everything listed! The interior seats are "Trashed" but has new carpet. Upholstery is what my parents & I done for 30 yrs so that means nothing to me to fix. The guy says the boat runs & drives Great and because it has run so good all he has done the last three years was routine maint. changing the engine oil & trans fluid every spring, rebuilt the starter in spring, new coil this year. He says it was never gave him any problems at all and has been a very easy boat to own.. The owner states he wants to get out of everything as he just can not affor it anymore..

He said the speedometers are not very accurate and they clog up real easy ?? He just used a GPS for MPH...

This boat is 5 hrs away from me so I would like to know what exactly to look for on this boat since I know nothing about them or what to look for... He said we can take it out for a spin so that's good news at least...

Boat comes with the following:

Twin axle MC trailer w/spare
Bimini Top
Wake Tower w/ 4-speakers
Blaupunket stereo receiver
3- Liquid force wake boards
Ski's
Double person tube
Several ropes w/handles
Two fat sacks
Life jackets/vests

Would this be a good beginner boat for beginner wake boarders or should I be looking at something else?

*Boat on the water:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/xxxturbo6/Boat/Untitled-1.jpg

*Boat & Trailer:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/xxxturbo6/Boat/Untitled-2.jpg

*Old carpet removed:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/xxxturbo6/Boat/2009_0627February0175.jpg

*New Carpet installed:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/xxxturbo6/Boat/2009_0713February0039.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/xxxturbo6/Boat/2009_0713February0040.jpg

SW.

mikeg205
09-03-2012, 11:53 AM
pictures and price? pictures of engine...check faq here for a list of things to check... click here (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=257514&postcount=47)

scot w.
09-03-2012, 12:45 PM
pictures and price? pictures of engine...check faq here for a list of things to check... click here (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=257514&postcount=47) Yeah I looked at that list and even printed it out but was simply wondering if there is something specific to this boat that should be looked at..

I will leave the price out for now until after I look at it in a couple days...

SW.

Jason.H.
09-03-2012, 12:56 PM
I think it's a great boat for beginners. I have a 1990 that I purchased at the end of the season last year. It only had 270 hours and in pretty good shape. Trailer is a little rough, but original, and some stitching coming apart on the vinyl. I paid 8k for it but it didnt come with any toys or accessories. I love the boat though. I wakeboard behind it every weekend and I can clear wake to wake without any ballast and only my wife driving. 22mph. I cant wait to put some weight in it and getting a real non-stretch wakeboarding rope. However, boat gets pretty cramped with more than four or five adults, and it doesnt handle choppy water well at all. Is that a ford 351w or the chevy 350?

MC209
09-03-2012, 01:09 PM
looks like a nice project to me! a little sweat hasnt killed anybody

scot w.
09-03-2012, 01:41 PM
I think it's a great boat for beginners. I have a 1990 that I purchased at the end of the season last year. It only had 270 hours and in pretty good shape. Trailer is a little rough, but original, and some stitching coming apart on the vinyl. I paid 8k for it but it didnt come with any toys or accessories. I love the boat though. I wakeboard behind it every weekend and I can clear wake to wake without any ballast and only my wife driving. 22mph. I cant wait to put some weight in it and getting a real non-stretch wakeboarding rope. However, boat gets pretty cramped with more than four or five adults, and it doesnt handle choppy water well at all. Is that a ford 351w or the chevy 350? The owner says it's a 351w engine... anything special to look for with these engines?

Here are a few more pic's:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/xxxturbo6/Boat/Enginepic.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/xxxturbo6/Boat/enginepic2.jpg

scot w.
09-03-2012, 01:44 PM
looks like a nice project to me! a little sweat hasnt killed anybody I thought so too! I think if the engine runs good and there is no issues at all with it I think it will be fun to restore and enjoy on weekends with the family.

The owner had mentioned that it is cold natured (Carb/choke issue assume).

Lumbergh
09-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Love the PVC straight pipes. The stuff people do to save a buck makes me laugh / cringe sometimes!

I'm assuming the pics show the boat pre "new carpet", 'cause that carpet looks far from new to me.

For the right price and some work on your part, looks like good times.

scot w.
09-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Love the PVC straight pipes. The stuff people do to save a buck makes me laugh / cringe sometimes!

I'm assuming the pics show the boat pre "new carpet", 'cause that carpet looks far from new to me.

For the right price and some work on your part, looks like good times.

The "New carpet" is the 4th & 5th pictures in the first section of pic's, the old was a greenish blue and the new is gray..

Good find on the exhaust! This is exactly why I posted these pic's so you guys who know what your doing can spot stuff like this out for me... I wouldn't have known...LOL

Does everything else look okay?

Can you or someone post a picture of what the exhaust is supposed to be like so if I get this boat I can put it back the right way?

SW.

madcityskier
09-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Does the passenger side "muffler" have holes or is that just the pic? There are others on here who have gone the PVC route for cost reasons or to replace mufflers cause they want to sound like Ricky Bobby on the water.

gweaver
09-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Are those for sure not the stock mufflers? My 88 has exactly the same mufflers. Granted I didn't buy the boat new, but they're identical, down to the color and the rubber straps holding them in place. Sound-wise, they're a nice low rumble at idle and a good throaty roar (but not loud) at speed.
G

Miss Rita
09-04-2012, 01:21 AM
The Ford 351 is identical to what they put in ProStars and about a zillion other boats; reliable as a rock. It should have a Holley 4160, easy to adjust/fix if it's cold blooded. The plastic exhaust elbows look stock to me, can't comment on the mufflers. If it has straight pipes the exhaust will be WAY loud; obnoxiously so. The speedos are over 20 years old, so they may indeed not be accurate. The pitot tubes frequently get plugged, especially if the water you run in isn't clean. (That's why there's two speedometers.) It's an easy fix with a 1/16" drill bit spinning in your fingers.

The biggest problem with TriStars is that they don't have much storage. If this one has a Fat Sac it's going to take a lot of interior space.

Anticipate the problems that will occur with ANY 20+ year old boat. The trailer wiring may be suspect, the brakes will need maintenance, etc. Face it, stuff will need fixing.

Bottom line: if everything works (or can be fixed easily) and it has enough room for you, buy it.

wheelerd
09-04-2012, 03:08 AM
Looks OK . . . depending on the price of course.
351W -- has the distributor at the front. (GM 350's have dizzy at the rear.)
Those "mufflers" do look like PVC pipe. The stock Silent Masters are dull black with Silent Master written on them.
Hull scratches can be polished out. Upholstery can be replaced. It's the mechanicals and overall structural integrity that are important.Have a compression test done on the engine. That's the best indication of the condition. As long as all the cylinders are within somewhat the same range you're fine. Holley carb -- pretty reliable overall although can be tempermental (floats can stick causing flooding, metering passages can clog with small impurities in the fuel, etc.)
Mine was a lot of fun and great way to get into a MasterCraft.

wheelerd
09-04-2012, 03:11 AM
Appears to be an engine hoist and chain attached to the motor. Why?

etduc
09-04-2012, 10:38 AM
My main issue with Tristar 190, is ...it is very small. They are measured bow, to end of swim deck. They tend to submarine, worst than most boats. Gas tank location, in my opinion, is a major culprit. Put a couple of kids in front...your looking for trouble. Lot of them tend to leak, at rub rail joint. Mine did. They also have, a terrible open water ride. Calm lakes, not a problem.

I know the stunts, I pulled, when I was 16. This not a boat for a beginner driver.

scot w.
09-04-2012, 10:54 AM
My main issue with Tristar 190, is ...it is very small. They are measured bow, to end of swim deck. They tend to submarine, worst than most boats. Gas tank location, in my opinion, is a major culprit. Put a couple of kids in front...your looking for trouble. Lot of them tend to leak, at rub rail joint. Mine did. They also have, a terrible open water ride. Calm lakes, not a problem.

I know the stunts, I pulled, when I was 16. This not a boat for a beginner driver. None of my sons (13 & 16) will be driving the boat without me in it! As stated before this is mainly a boat for the family (of 4) to enjoy on the weekends and let the kids tube, ski, wake board and have fun... My plans are to fix this boat up, enjoy it for a few years and eventually sell it and move up if we all enjoy boating.

Thanks for pointing out the rub rail issue of possible leaks, I will look at it and possibly replace it.

SW.

etduc
09-04-2012, 11:05 AM
No problem. Other models to consider. Early 1990s Prostar 205, and Maristar. Maristar would make a bigger wake, due to weight and hull, compared to 205...before any wake enhancers.
Good luck.

Bruce Carr
09-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Be sure and check out that tower for lateral (side to side) stiffness. I don't see much in the way of structure to counteract side loads. A wake boarder can generate quite a bit of side ways load when pulling from outside the wake.

46Chief
09-04-2012, 12:37 PM
If this is your first boat, and are not mechanicily inclined, You would have to go through this boat thoroughly over the winter and fix alot of little things that will cause you headaches next summer, or if you have the funds to have a reputable marina give it a thorough look through and address any issues, I'd pass.

Nothing sucks like going on vacation with your ski boat and having it sit parked at the dock broken. Dads can go from hero to zero in a hurry with bored teenagers. If the po had the engine and transmission disconnected you may not know what to look for, to check for alignment issues. I sure would be suspect of any hillbilly exhaust improvements etc. The motor and hull do look clean so it may be a matter of going to take a look at it and getting a feel for how well the boat was taken care of.

Take a look at some boats closer to you even if you think they are out of your price range, it should give you a feel for what is right and not right. Malibu, and Ski Nautique, are the other comparable mfg's to look at.

JohnE
09-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Tristar is too small (IMO) to go out with 2 adults and 4 teenagers for the day. Aside from that, the 190 Tristar is a good first inboard.

This particular one needs a lot of attention. I'd pass if I were you. What is he asking?

scot w.
09-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Tristar is too small (IMO) to go out with 2 adults and 4 teenagers for the day. Aside from that, the 190 Tristar is a good first inboard.

This particular one needs a lot of attention. I'd pass if I were you. What is he asking? The guy is only asking $4,500 obo for Everything! To me the price is Too low for everything and that alone makes me Leary but he says he just can not afford it any more and just wants to get rid of everything. This may be a basket case OR it just may be true that he wants out and I benefit from it... I am going to take the 5hr trip and look at it tomorrow!

He says the boat runs fantastic but is a little cold natured...He is also willing to take me out in the boat which is a good thing.. and I plan to take my son with so he can take a spin behind it....There I can look for some issues after the boat has warmed up.. I also have a compression checker and plan on checking that while I am there.. Some say the exhaust is PVC and some say it looks stock so I am not too sure it was a hillbilly repair job or not...

scot w.
09-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Be sure and check out that tower for lateral (side to side) stiffness. I don't see much in the way of structure to counteract side loads. A wake boarder can generate quite a bit of side ways load when pulling from outside the wake.
What kind of other structure are you speakinf of? because it looks like every other one i see on these boats..

scot w.
09-04-2012, 03:04 PM

This particular one needs a lot of attention. I'd pass if I were you. What is he asking?Too small? it has a open bow where two will sit most of the time and that leaves the back seat for the other 2 kids... Certainly has to be more room than any Closed bow thats for sure...

michiganTristar
09-04-2012, 03:44 PM
I currently own a 89 tristar, its a pretty rock solid boat minus what has already been said. The exhaust is stock 100% positive, maybe the other exhaust was an option??

The speedo any older boats are pretty inaccurate, get an iphone mount it on the dash by you to control the radio and run a gps app while you drive... accurat to within .2 mph.

Some issues we have had, weak floor by the bildge and fuel tank access, and behind the doghouse between the back seat. the only two places where the floor gets weak. Check around the fuel tank fuel gauge pickup gasket, they tend to leak and if there is water in the bildge area you can get water in the tank causing engine sputtering. Another place to check for leaking water is the fuel tank overfill spout on the drivers side by the fill hole. if its not pointed backwards it can cause water to shoot up into the gas tank and contaiminate the fuel.

If you plan to add a good stereo with good speakers the stock wiring from the battery ties off to a lot of different electronics and can cause the radio to cut out due to amp draw.

Check driveshaft seal, can become warn and cause water to leak.

Any other questions feel free to shoot me a PM and ill be happy to help out.

etduc
09-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Best two days of a boat ower life:
Day he buys....Day he sells. :cool:

I drove five hours, to buy my 190 Tristar. In hind sight, should of bought a beer, and left the boat. (This pertains, to that boat, and I thought...I wanted a project boat. I was wrong.) Love my 205.

Assuming you have mechanical skills, are creative with repairs and making things work. No more talk about the boat.

Make an agreement, with your son, before you leave your house. (Cause in a teenager's head, he has already bought the boat.) Your word, is the last word. There are plenty of boats out there, this time of year, it is a buyer's market.

Many people forget trailer cost. So you might what to search new and used trailer pricing. Inspect rusted areas, of course you can't look inside frame rails. Ask owner, if trailer has bearing buddies (grease zerts), take a grease gun--in case you buy.

Condition of tires. 4 new trailer tires are about $450-500us. Carry an extra spare tire,(don't rely on trailer spare) and floor jack. If you buy, you will be trailering a long way, with a trailer you have no history. You want two spares!

JohnE
09-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Too small? it has a open bow where two will sit most of the time and that leaves the back seat for the other 2 kids... Certainly has to be more room than any Closed bow thats for sure...

I had a tristar 190. And liked it. Sold it to move up to a 197. You won't be putting 2 teenagers or adults in the open bow for any length of time. The interior is tight. As someone already mentioned, this is a 19' boat including the foot and a half integrated platform. The closed bow is 19' not including the teak platform. So the interior is a foot and a half bigger.

And if you do put two in the bow, you will be dunking it on a steady basis.

I don't think this is the best choice for going out with 6 teens/ adults.

But $4500 is a reasonable price for this thing if the engine is OK. Add the ropes, vests, boards, etc and it is even better. But this is no 'steal'.

wheelerd
09-05-2012, 01:55 AM
I'm still curious as to why the engine seems to have been removed and rebuilt (or at least refreshed on the outside?) I notice all new hoses and plug wires, new paint on the intake and exhaust manifolds, new (or rebuilt) carb, etc. What's the story on that?

scot w.
09-05-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm still curious as to why the engine seems to have been removed and rebuilt (or at least refreshed on the outside?) I notice all new hoses and plug wires, new paint on the intake and exhaust manifolds, new (or rebuilt) carb, etc. What's the story on that? Not sure I will ask. He said he has only owned it for 3 years so that could have been done by the previous owner..

SW.

MikeyOrange88
09-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Does the passenger side "muffler" have holes or is that just the pic? There are others on here who have gone the PVC route for cost reasons or to replace mufflers cause they want to sound like Ricky Bobby on the water.

Mufflers appear to be the stock ones that came on the Tristars. My '88 closed bow has exactly those and they have never been changed out, they are not just straight pvc. Mine are coming off soon to address a leak in one of them. With the boat in the water, check for a constant trickle of water running back to front of the bilge alongside the mufflers which would indicate a leaking muffler or flange connection at rear of boat. Looks to be pretty stock 351W Ford although my exhaust manifolds are black so those may have been changed at some point?

I love my Tristar and we load the boat frequently with six ('cause one of them is usually in the water) but it is tight. With the open bow, it seems like you'd have plenty of room for six. My fuel tank is also located where that one is. I have dipped the front end on occasion giving myself and the unsuspecting person riding shotgun a refreshing splash. Just need to keep a little power on it when heading into waves or circling back to pick up riders.
They are great looking boats and pretty durable. The cost of the included tower alone would make this boat worth the cost as long as the engine checks out (compression test?).