PDA

View Full Version : '05 PS 197 - RPM Reduction Mode

erervin
09-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Today I dropped the boat off and idled out and my check engine alarmed and I noticed that I could not accelerate, only idle. I immediately turned the boat off and checked all fluids, which were good. The boat temperature was about 100 degrees as it was only running for a short time. I restarted the boat three or four times and the throttle came back and no warnings.

We continued to ski and run around for the next hour or two, paying particular attention to the gauges. Everything was running normal. Then we shut it off for about an hour and when we were ready to head back in, check engine alarmed again and we were in the same position. This time, restarting the boat did not seem to cure the problem. We putted in for about 45 minutes and right before I got to the dock I shut it off and restarted it. This time, the throttle came back again with no warnings.

Not sure what is going on. It's odd that all the fluids are normal, engine temp is fine, and it's intermittent. Because when it is working correctly, there's no indication of a problem such as rough running/missing...

Any ideas? My nearest MC dealer is two hours away. BTW, it's an MCX. Thanks!

petermegan
09-02-2012, 11:50 PM
I am not sure of the alarm situation, but wonder whether you TPS is on the way out. Had a friends 07' MCX do similar at 500 odd hours. Just a thought.

mcmx2
09-03-2012, 08:15 AM
I agree with petermegan. Had the exact same thing happen on my 05 197 two years ago. It was becoming more and more frequent and finally the shutting the boat off would not help and I had to drive back at idle. When I had the codes checked by an Indmar mechanic here (no MasterCraft dealer in the area) it was a throttle position sensor range alarm. I called Chuck at BAWS and he told me that he has never seen the actual sensor work intermittently and that he would remove the throttle from the side pannel and check all the fasteners holding the tps together. I did this and the fasteners all seemed snug but I tightened them all and reassembled. The tps has been fine for the past 2 seasons and 225 hours.

Good luck

petermegan
09-03-2012, 08:53 AM
If by chance it is diagnosed as a TPS the norm is to replace the whole unit but my friend came up with this supplier, give them a call and just replace the sensor instead of the whole unit. Sorry you will have to google them for a phone number. Have Fun.

Mouser Electronics,
682-9861R5KL2.0
MFG PN:9861R5KL2.0
5K OHM CW 6PIN
BEI Sensors
$80bucks or thereabouts.

Sorry, I am assuming you have Throttle by wire?

erervin
09-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Update. Dropped it off at my local MC dealer on Thursday to have them scan the codes.

(81) Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Malfunction
(81) TAC Fault - PPS 1 Range
(81) TAC Fault - PPS 1 2 Corr
(81) TAC Fault - Lmtd Authority

I called the previous owner and asked if he had ever experienced this issue and found that he had replaced the BOX-CONTROL ELECT THROTT, part # 450119 last October. This is the entire throttle module behind the throttle stick.

Still waiting to hear where the problem is but should it be this same part again, what are my odds that MC would warranty the part since it's less than a year old even though the boat has changed ownership and the work is being performed by two different MC dealers?

Anxious to get the boat back. This time of year is the best here in Kansas. Kids are back in school and the wind has died down.