PDA

View Full Version : broke my dipstick

cwarndahl
09-02-2012, 10:53 PM
so i was looking behind my motor at the ballast pumps, and wouldnt you know it when i came up i hit the dipstick and the handle broke off. with the stick still in of course. there is a bit of plastic on top of the dip stick still, was kind of thinking a little super glue and try o pull it out. any other creative ideas? thanks

magnum
09-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Those extending magnets that looks like a telescoping antenna might work

JimN
09-02-2012, 11:15 PM
so i was looking behind my motor at the ballast pumps, and wouldnt you know it when i came up i hit the dipstick and the handle broke off. with the stick still in of course. there is a bit of plastic on top of the dip stick still, was kind of thinking a little super glue and try o pull it out. any other creative ideas? thanks

Super glue won't work if there's even a little oil on whatever is being glued. If the end of the stick is close to the end of the tube, go to Radio Shack and buy a hemostat. Potheads know exactly what this can be used for.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-02-2012, 11:28 PM
A method I have used numerous times, You can spray wd-40 to dipstick hole then pinch off the pcv hose and blow compressed air in the other valve cover hose and the dipstick will pop right out, just be cautious as to how much air is blown in the engine, you only want to apply air pressure for a second or two at a time, you don't wanna blow out any seals...

tdjaster
09-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Judging from the title of this post, I'd say that is a bit of a personal issue.

(sorry, couldn't help it...good luck!)

cwarndahl
09-03-2012, 12:28 AM
i guess that was totally called for lol. yeah i though of the magnet as well, i may try the ai pressure as well, i feel like as dumb A**.

Willski
09-03-2012, 12:39 AM
Can't get at it with some really small needlenose plyers?

FrankSchwab
09-03-2012, 12:49 AM
I've sometimes had success in similar situations heating up a small wood screw, and pushing it into the plastic. Let the plastic harden around the screw (5-10 minutes), then use the screw to pull it out. You have to have threads or something similar to give grip on the plastic; a straightened paperclip won't work because it'll slide right out of the plastic.

Alternatively, drill a small hole (but because this leads into the engine oil, don't drill through the bottom of the piece left in the dipstick tube), then screw a small screw into the hole and use it to pull the dipstick out. Not advised, because of the difficult in knowing how deep you can drill.

/frank

cwarndahl
09-03-2012, 01:05 AM
hey will they might, thanks frank i will try that. i live 40 minutes from the marina where i keep my boat so i am just trying to get an arsenal of ideas together. i also have to prep the tool box when i go as well. so the more ideas i have he options i bring. the better success i will have. cant tell you how much i have spent on oh sh$t tools cause i didnt prep or come up with enought ideas before i left. thanks for the help and ideas!!!

tph
09-03-2012, 01:27 AM
you might be able to get a hold of the end of the dip stick with a needle nose vice grip.

FrankSchwab
09-03-2012, 03:18 AM
If you try the hot wood screw approach, remember that it will have to be a tiny wood screw, and you'll probably have to heat it red-hot.

Redstorm
09-03-2012, 03:38 AM
Alternatively, drill a small hole (but because this leads into the engine oil, don't drill through the bottom of the piece left in the dipstick tube), then screw a small screw into the hole and use it to pull the dipstick out. Not advised, because of the difficult in knowing how deep you can drill.

/frank

I was going to say the same thing! Good idea frankS, and i think it will work. Use a shop vac while u drill to collect the drilled shavings. However u might want to leave it in there until u get the new one.

blackcreek
09-03-2012, 08:33 AM
I am not familiar with your motor or access but most dip stick tubes are just held in by a single bolt and small bracket. You just unscrew the bolt and the dipstick tube just pulls out. I would try to pull the tube out first before risking trash going down the tube.

jwp1504
08-25-2013, 01:06 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I did this today! Managed to get the dipstick out with pointy nose pliers..

My issue is finding a dipstick handle replacement! I've been to all the car part places in town and apparently no one sells them..

Suggestions?

mikeg205
08-25-2013, 02:12 AM
try summit racing, jegs, michigan motorz

JimN
08-25-2013, 09:35 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I did this today! Managed to get the dipstick out with pointy nose pliers..

My issue is finding a dipstick handle replacement! I've been to all the car part places in town and apparently no one sells them..

Suggestions?

I seriously doubt that you'll find a replacement handle because there's not enough call for them. The dipstick should have a part number stamped into the blade that's attached to the handle- if you google that, you should find one fairly easily. If you can't find one, find a longer one and cut it to the correct length, then mark the Full and Add range, maybe with a file.

FrankSchwab
08-25-2013, 10:13 PM
I got a universal one from Pep Boys that looked OK. Changed the oil, put in the specified quantity of fresh (and ran the engine to fill the oil filter), adjusted the dipstick to read "full", and called it a day.

/frank

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-26-2013, 01:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj5ms9PJDNY

mikeg205
08-26-2013, 08:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj5ms9PJDNY

too funny

mgs96ps
03-16-2014, 01:20 AM
How I fixed mine. Drilled hole into broken plastic...pulled right out. Replaced with new.

mikeg205
03-16-2014, 01:24 AM
Great post on the fix... now clean up then exhaust hoses ;) :D :D