PDA

View Full Version : Prostar 190 Rear Bench Construction

College Kid
09-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Does Anyone have any plans or ever attempted rebuilding the rear bench?
I am not talking about the vinyl but the actual structure, mine is in pretty rough shape, floor portion has a hole and the back brace is broken.

I have fairly new upholstery that I'd like to try and re use but need to figure out if this is something I should attempt or just farm it out to a furniture shop.

rjracin240
09-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Anxious to see how your project turns out as I dont have a back seat and am looking for idea's on how to make one. Good Luck!

tph
09-02-2012, 03:14 PM
I don't know how damaged your existing seat is but I had a fair amount of success rebuilding mine with Epoxy an expanding foam.

College Kid
09-02-2012, 03:35 PM
I don't know how damaged your existing seat is but I had a fair amount of success rebuilding mine with Epoxy an expanding foam.

That's not a bad idea, can you expand a little on how you use expanding foam (sorry couldn't resist)

Legolamb
09-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Not sure what year your 190 is but my 96 rear seat was collapsed when I bought it, and made some aluminum supports which I attached with stainless screws, and it has held up great. I have some supports left over if anyone is interested, I will sell for cost of materials.

gweaver
09-03-2012, 12:57 AM
Out of curiosity, what's the distance from the top of your seat cushion to the top of the hull (gunnel?) I'm trying to come up with some creative solutions to the lack of storage space on my 88. I'm thinking about rebuilding the seat so it's something similar to yours, with some space underneath, but I'm not sure how much higher I can raise the seat cushion.
G

Jeffer
09-03-2012, 04:03 AM
Same question - what year is your 190?
I rebuilt my rear seat, you can find it in this thread, by using 3/4" marine plywood. I also built a center support (love the aluminum idea).
Here is the thread, you will have to scroll through to find the seat work:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=44584

Cloaked
09-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Not sure what year your 190 is but my 96 rear seat was collapsed when I bought it, and made some aluminum supports which I attached with stainless screws, and it has held up great. I have some supports left over if anyone is interested, I will sell for cost of materials.PM to you.

College Kid
09-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Mine is a 92. So unfortunatly a different design.

I'll get some measurements for you. I have also tossed around the idea of changing up the arrangement. There is almost no storage in the current design, enough for a couple of ropes and that's about it.

Legolamb
09-04-2012, 07:29 AM
Jeffer, I did see your refurb, and it turned out very nice. Gweaver, I am not sure the distance from seat top to gunnel, the seat does sit at a slight angle to the rear, so my front support is 5" tall and the rear is 4" I believe.

Cloaked, I sent you a PM, $25 shipped including the stainless hardware. Lets make sure your dimensions are the same as mine.

Dave

Cloaked
09-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Jeffer, I did see your refurb, and it turned out very nice. Gweaver, I am not sure the distance from seat top to gunnel, the seat does sit at a slight angle to the rear, so my front support is 5" tall and the rear is 4" I believe.

Cloaked, I sent you a PM, $25 shipped including the stainless hardware. Lets make sure your dimensions are the same as mine.

Dave
Thank you. PP sent.

Legolamb
09-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Thanks Chuck, send me your shipping address, I tried sending you a PM but site says your inbox is too full. PM or email your address to me and I will send out the supports tomorrow.
Thanks.
Dave

CC2MC
09-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Mine is a 92. So unfortunatly a different design.

I'll get some measurements for you. I have also tossed around the idea of changing up the arrangement. There is almost no storage in the current design, enough for a couple of ropes and that's about it.

That is a great question, bc I know my PS 205 is probably the same rear seat as yours and I have thought about removing the two plastic storage bins, which are basically useless to me anyway. There is a solid piece in the middle of the base which could have also been utilized for storage as well. I know it is there for support, but they would have been fine with having about 4-5 inches in the middle and extending the storage on both sides. Perhaps even made the storage deeper too. Mine is in good shape and therefore I will not be doing anything to it for now. I would really be interested to know how yours turns out, whatever you end up doing.

sub_squoch
09-19-2012, 02:38 PM
I have a 1988 Tristar 190. The rear seat has been converted to a sun deck to 'hide' a fat sac. I would like to utilize the seat as a seat (as right now I cannot becasue it's a sun deck) but still keep the fat sac. I like the aluminum supports. The only issue is my floor isn't flat, it has a slight bump-up in the back where the seat goes. Does anybody know what is below this bump-up in the floor? Can i cut it out, make the floor level, and then use aluminum supports to elevated the seat but still have room to conceal the fat sac?

PurdueSkier
09-20-2012, 02:48 AM
Hey Guys,

I was thinking about a winter project involving a reconstruction of the back seat as well as carpet and upholstery and floor board behind the Dog House, has anyone found an Aluminum substitute or just Marine Grade Plywood. I bought a 94 Prostar 190 last November, and I don't think I've been on the forum more than a couple of times since (my apologies). It's running like a champ and I've put about 120 hours. Since Nov. 5th 2011. That means its at about 1850 hrs total and the interior definitely shows it.

So I've been brainstorming a bit to make the backseat more skier-friendly. I don't know if anyone's skied in a Boss 190 by MB Sports. But they use a fiber-glass seat base with 3 cushions. The nice thing is you can take the middle out and have a step back to the platform. The other two cushions lift into a locker below the seat. I can't make it permanent because of the gas tank maintenance as well as the fact in the 94 the battery is unfortunately located next to the tank. (planning on moving it under the passenger seat this winter.)

Wanted to see if anyone else had a redesigned backseat between the 90 - 94 model years.

Thanks for any input.

Craig
09-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Hey Guys,

I was thinking about a winter project involving a reconstruction of the back seat as well as carpet and upholstery and floor board behind the Dog House, has anyone found an Aluminum substitute or just Marine Grade Plywood. I bought a 94 Prostar 190 last November, and I don't think I've been on the forum more than a couple of times since (my apologies). It's running like a champ and I've put about 120 hours. Since Nov. 5th 2011. That means its at about 1850 hrs total and the interior definitely shows it.

So I've been brainstorming a bit to make the backseat more skier-friendly. I don't know if anyone's skied in a Boss 190 by MB Sports. But they use a fiber-glass seat base with 3 cushions. The nice thing is you can take the middle out and have a step back to the platform. The other two cushions lift into a locker below the seat. I can't make it permanent because of the gas tank maintenance as well as the fact in the 94 the battery is unfortunately located next to the tank. (planning on moving it under the passenger seat this winter.)

Wanted to see if anyone else had a redesigned backseat between the 90 - 94 model years.

Thanks for any input.

Fillmore,

I'm not a lot of help on the backseat, but a removable center section would be ideal. We would probably leave our seat in if it had this; as it is, the seat lives on the dock.

Regarding the floorboard behind the doghouse, I remade mine, see here:

http://press.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=29296&page=8

Marine plywood is sufficient and the access hatch I put in has been WELL worth the effort.

That is a nice looking boat you have there

[\threadjack]

michiganTristar
09-20-2012, 04:25 PM
I have a 89 tristar as well and have been thinking of a million ways to do it, its not possible to cut the floor, its part of the boats structure. I did however start thinking of ways to mount a 'holding tank' on top of the swim platform for a fat sac, wondering if it would work or is the attached swim platform too weak to hold something like that.

sub_squoch
09-29-2012, 05:27 PM
I have a 89 tristar as well and have been thinking of a million ways to do it, its not possible to cut the floor, its part of the boats structure. I did however start thinking of ways to mount a 'holding tank' on top of the swim platform for a fat sac, wondering if it would work or is the attached swim platform too weak to hold something like that.

So here is my idea:
I am going to use two aluminum tubes; one inside of the other. There will be a plate on the bottom that connects to the floor and a plate on the top that connects to the underside of the seat bench. This will end up looking a lot like the aluminum posts pictured in this thread; the only difference being that there will be one tube inside of the other. When I want to convert the seat into the sundeck I will lift up on the seat and the inner tube will lift, allowing the seat to lift too. I will then have a pin that will go through holes that align in both the inner and outer tube which will hold the seat in the sundeck position.

The only potential issue I see here is; my fat sac is 10" tall when filled. Right now it sits on the elevated part of the floor which is where the seat typically sits. I will have to elevate my seat just over 10" to have enough room to hide the sac. Plus, I may have to add 3/4" plywood under the seat for strength, so there is basically another 1". With that said, that seat is getting pretty high! I don't want it to be unsafe in the back seat! That would defeat my purpose.

Another thing I though about doing is building a box to house the fat sac and having the seat rest on the box. Just not sure how I would make the seat convert into a sundeck if I do it this way. I suppose I could, somehow, put some kind of poles that perminentally attach to the under side of the seat and hide in the box, again, somehow, when the seat is in the seat position but fold down to support the deck when in the sundeck position. I guess I am picturing something like a folding table

Traxx822
09-30-2012, 12:44 PM
you could get that fat sac that looks like a rear seat when filled.

sub_squoch
10-20-2012, 08:05 PM

I started on this project but the new baby came so it had to be put on hold for the year! But I can't get it out of my head! I want the seat, sundeck and fat sac! Are you sure I can't alter the stepped up area of the floor? I saw a picture on team talk somewhere that had a picture of the center elevated floor section out and, while the exhaust was back there, it looked like it was below the level of the lower part of the floor. I wish I could get in touch with somebody that knew exactly what was under that floor and the height of where it is all located!

mgs96ps
03-16-2014, 01:08 AM
My fix for a 96. Constructed support box out of plywood with sloping top and had it line-x'ed. Full support and can be removed easily. Thinking about adding tweeters.

Cloaked
03-18-2014, 07:37 PM