PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Powerslot how to pull shaft?

strad
09-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Just acquired an 84 Powerslot. PO ran it onto a sandbar and bent the shaft, gouged the hull with the prop, and bent the prop. What I need is a good diy in pulling the shaft, particularly separating the shaft and the drive flange. We already have the prop off. To repair the glass, the shaft and strut need to come off. Well shaft needs to come off anyways b/c it is bent lol.

I will post pics of the boat in another "acquisition" thread. It is a very nice boat except of course for the damage.

Wired_Right
09-02-2012, 12:26 AM
So your profile says "Southwest".
Is that California?

xtnkshun
09-02-2012, 12:52 AM
You don't have a whole lot of room to work with. I had to raise the transmission from my 85 w/ powerslot in order to the get the shaft separated from the coupler. I tried a half-cut socket from skidim to get to the nut inside also and there still wasn't enough room.

There are a bunch of threads here regarding raising the tranny. It wasn't too bad. I used a couple of bottle jacks to jack the the motor up high enough to get to the shaft socket. Once I was able to get the shaft nut off, I lowered the engine and place a socket between the 2 couplers. Using longer bolts, tighten the 2 coupler pieces together. Popped the coupler right off the shaft.

This method is widely posted throughout TT and worked well for me.

strad
09-02-2012, 10:32 AM
So your profile says "Southwest".
Is that California?

Well, I live in Las Vegas, and eventually the boat will live there too. However, we picked it up in Pleasanton and right now it's in south bay, where my father in law the glass guy lives and where the glass repair will take place.

I'm just so afraid I'm not going to get to use it this season b/c of the logistics! But it is what it is, and we'll have it put right in good time I'm sure. We'll have fun next summer for sure!