PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Issues?

rlayton
09-01-2012, 08:15 PM
I'm a new Mastercraft owner as of January and am also new to TeamTalk...hoping ya'll can help!

I have a 2002 Maristar V210 330hp LTR. Last time out the engine died on me as I was approaching the trailer, and I couldn't get it started back up. I believe I may have a fuel pump problem. If I recall correctly, turning on the key part way should engage the fuel pump...no such luck. All the gauges look good (they're cycling as they should), but the fuel pump is quiet and when cranked, its clear the engine isn't getting any fuel. Any ideas? Could it be electrical (fuses), wiring, or is it simply a bad fuel pump?

Thanks for your help!

Ryan

mtajpa
09-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Yes to all. First make sure the lanyard is connected. sometimes they go bad. Then connect a voltmeter or test light to the pump harness connector to verify voltage. Turning the key on will only supply voltage to pump for a few seconds (this is to prim the fuel system). turn key to crank position (starter will engage) and you should see voltage. If you have voltage while cranking it is probably the pump. You should connect a pressure guage to be sure.

BallBushing
09-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Check the black/yellow connector on top of the fuel pump assembly. Pull apart and re-attach. A bad connection there and the pump won't work.

rlayton
09-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Thanks to both of you for your reply!

I tested the black/yellow connector and no change. I then used the voltage meter and placed the + and - wires of the voltage meter on the 1st and 3rd pins (grey and white wires) of the yellow/black connector (there was also a green wire connecting to the 2nd pin). When I turned the key there was no reading on the meter. Did I do this test correctly? If yes, then it appears the fuel pump is not getting any voltage...any ideas of what to check next before I take it to the shop and drop hundreds of dollars?

Ryan

mtajpa
09-03-2012, 08:07 PM
You should connect one lead of the multimeter or test light to the negative of the battery first then touch the positive lead to the Gray(+) wire then crank the engine over you should have voltage. Then connect the meter lead to the positive side of the battery and test the white(-) you should read voltage here if you don't you are missing the ground.

LTR has 3 fuses that can cause this they are located near the ECM in little covers.See picture attached.

Look at page 6 of the wiring diagram it may help understand what the fuel pump circuit looks like.