PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Mastercraft X-1

New06X1
09-01-2012, 02:48 PM
2006 MasterCraft X-1

$25,000 Need to sell asap

Boat: Gelcoat is in great condition. Has been painted over though! I've removed the graphics, but there isn't any ghosting where they used to be. Ive had it painted black. Water line and below has anti fouling bottom paint on it and in some areas the old gel can be seen. Needs and can be re anti fouled (if u keep in a water dock) for $700, or strip paint and wet sand old gel coat then get cut buffed and waxed for $1k - $3k

Stereo: The stereo has a JVC Head-Unit, Ipod hookup, 4 Infinity Speakers in the interior, a 10Ē sub and 8 Bazooka tower speakers with 2 amplifiers

Interior: The entire interior was replaced by Cool Customs in (april, 2012) and shows no signs of wear! It is brand new and really nice looking. Interior has Only seen the outside once when i went to collins lake in july, 2012. Since then its been garaged!

Engine/Mechanical: I replaced the engine in (june, 2012) at 460 hours because a few valves stuck and 1 bent valve. The motor was rebuilt by Danís Machine Shop in Marysville, CA. The rebuild included new pistons, new rods, new valves, seats, rings, oil pump and springs. The motor has 6 hours on it since the rebuild. The steering cable was also replaced at the same time as the rebuild.

Options: The boat comes with Perfect Pass, Tower with board racks, ballasts, large tow mirror, tinted windows, Additional battery,

Trailer: Single axle trailer with tires replaced (april, 2011).

Extras: Boat was just detailed inside and out. A new Taylor Made cover was installed in April. The boat has been garage kept since I purchased the boat in (december, 2011). Also comes with a wakeboard, few vests, some rope, plugs, lanyards

Why I am selling: I thought I was going to use this boat and own for years to come. So I put every penny I had into it to make it the nicest boat on the water and I think I have accomplished that. Unfortunately, a recent injury and medical bills are forcing the sale. I am also finding it tougher and tougher to find people to go riding with.

Problems: The boat is a 10 out of a 10 in the water! With it being out of the water its a 3 out of 10 due to the paint issue! The guy i bought it from blacked his truck and boat out and now im stuck with it! Its original color was red, previous owner which is a friend of mine took off all the decals and painted it black from the water line up as u can see in the pics. Waterline and below has been sprayed with anti fouling paint! Stickers have been installed on the back that say "black card" Anti fouling paint and the black paint is coming off now due to not a good prep job! They pressure washed the gel, degreased it then applied paint! Someone will have to strip all this paint or sand it off then wetsand the gel with very fine sandpaper to bring out the factory gel!

New06X1
09-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Heres some pics. You can see I started to sand the paint off to make sure the gell was still there! Someone who buys this will have to do something with the exterior and that should be it. You can strip the paint with stripper or sand it off then wetsand and cut buff and wax to bring out the factory gel and put the mastercraft decals back on! Defiantely some man hours to sand the exterior

Call me with any questions

Jason
530-632-7914

Cloaked
09-01-2012, 05:43 PM
2006 MasterCraft X-1

$25,000 Need to sell asap

Boat: Gelcoat is in great condition. Has been painted over ! I've removed the graphics, Ive had it painted black. Water line and below has foul bottom paint on it and in some areas the old gel can be seen. Needs and can be foul ..........strip paint and wet sand old gel coat then get cut buffed and waxed for $1k - $3k

Interior: entire interior was replaced

Engine/Mechanical: replaced the engine by Dan’s Machine Shop

Why I had into it to make it the nicest boat on the water and I think I have accomplished that. Unfortunately

Problems: The guy i bought it from ........and now im stuck with it! ......foul paint and the black paint is coming off now due to not a good prep job! .Someone will have to strip all this paint or sand it off then wetsand the gel with very fine sandpaper to bring out the factory gel!

Heres some pics. You can see I started ... to make sure the gell was still there! Someone who buys this will have to do something with the exterior Defiantely

some man hours to sand the exterior

Call me Jason

Is there a warranty from Dan, on the engine work? How aboout a few more pictures please?

New06X1
09-01-2012, 07:01 PM
I don't have any at the moment but ill get some here in a hour or so

New06X1
09-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Yes I beleive its 12 months

New06X1
09-02-2012, 11:57 PM
more pics

New06X1
09-03-2012, 12:00 AM
and more

New06X1
09-03-2012, 12:03 AM
and more..

New06X1
09-03-2012, 12:08 AM
more pics

Rossterman
09-03-2012, 11:44 AM
With as much corrosion on the platform, anti-foulant paint, and the anode on the rudder, it sure looks like it was used in saltwater previously. Might be worth some checking to get a history on it and where it was originally purchased.
You might also consider having someone remove the paint and restore the gelcoat rather than try and discount it for sale as is. Someone would consider it a big gamble that it can be brought back for a few grand so will probably want quite a bit off the asking price in case they have to have it recoated. Also will need all the brackets removed (platform, lifting, bow hook,etc) to restore it right.

Also would be good to do some cleanup on the trailer and throw a few new rims on. You can find chrome mastercrafts from a discount site that are less than $100 each. Also buffing out paint and fenders will do wonders.

You said you had the inside detailed so would use those pics as the carpet looks pretty grungy in the pics you have posted here as does the storage lockers. People here are pretty picky on their boat upkeep and would consider it in only fair condition inside as sitting in the shots although the upholstry looks real good. With the painted over armrest, scratched hatch supports, and discoloration on the bottoms of the engine lid,etc.

If you are able to get it cleaned up, you should be able to get a good price for it though. $ in my humble opinion, with the condition overall as is, you would be lucky to get $15k. I know it's not what you want to hear but To give you some idea of your competition There is a 2004 209 that looks brand new in fairfield/ vacaville for $19.5k. (see classified here). Thats a smoking good price for sure, but i called him yesterday and he still had it! if yours was pristine, you could probably get $30k for it but unfortunately it's a long ways from that at present and with the history, wouldnt command the same price as a single owner unmolested boat. If you really want to get a good sale price, I'd invest some money and refurbish it over the winter and sell in the spring.
Good luck with the sale!

Cheers
Ross

mplv
09-03-2012, 12:00 PM
With as much corrosion on the platform, anti-foulant paint, and the anode on the rudder, it sure looks like it was used in saltwater previously. Might be worth some checking to get a history on it and wher it was originally purchased.
You might also consider having someone remove the paint and restore the gelcoat rather than try and discount it for sale as is. Someone would consider it a big gamble that it can be brought back for a few grand so will probably want quite a bit off the asking price in case they have to have it recoated.

If you are able to get it cleaned up, you should be able to get a good price for it.

Or you could just get a clean boat for 5k more

New06X1
09-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Ya I understand and totally agree. I've just invested too much on the interior and motor already. No more money that's why I'm trying as is! It needs a few thousand for someone to sand and buff and wax the gel, then I need to purchase mastercraft decals. Should I polish the ruder and prop?? Also what do u mean painted armrest and engine cover?? I'm new to boats and don't know much. I will Probally start fixing piece by piece in the winter. I got a offer of 20,000 but its a little too low for having rebuilt motor and interior. Its basically cosmetic problems now which should cost $2k - $3k but is hard work and time consuming. Thanks for your input. I'll keep u updated. Hopefully someone's looking for a project of there own for this winter and can take this mastercraft off my hands

New06X1
09-03-2012, 05:26 PM
And that's wat I'm afraid of all this work already hasn't paid off. If I put another chunk into it and I just get attacked in spring and get lowballed because all the work I've done. That's why I'm trying to get rid of it now so everyone knows wat there getting into and can do it themselves.

Cloaked
09-03-2012, 05:33 PM
And that's wat I'm afraid of all this work already hasn't paid off. If I put another chunk into it and I just get attacked in spring and get lowballed because all the work I've done. That's why I'm trying to get rid of it now so everyone knows wat there getting into and can do it themselves.What I have observed over the years is that a boat in good to great shape will hold a current market value, whatever the market will bear. Anything over and above that you put into a boat will just be a sunken cost. Even the further casting of dollars into an engine and interior (where you want to recover the investment) is not likely to happen. One rarely gets a full return of investment...thus a hobby and not an investment. That said, your boat is not attractive (in my opinion) as a sellable machine due to all of the modifications, and fixes that you or someone else has inflicted on the boat. It is in a half-way, jury-rigged condition that has nothing to offer unless you drop the price significantly. I'd take that $20k and be happy, call it a lesson learned, and move on.

$0.02

Tristar Racing
09-04-2012, 01:30 AM
I'm in awe that this boat was once described as new condition...

Rossterman
09-04-2012, 08:52 AM
$20k is a very good offer considering the condition- as said above, i would take it and move on. These boats haven't changed much over the years and you can find immaculate boats a couple of years older for $20k if you are patient. Considering what you would spend to just get it into "average" condition, I'd be surprised if you got much over $25-$27k. That would be with everything refinished including the trailer. I would think you would be in it another $5k (refinish, trailer parts, misc brackets,etc) so any additional increase in sales price would be eaten up by the expenses. Also you need to consider this boat will never be considered "like new" or pristine so you would be fooling yourself that it would command anything close to what a well taken care of one would. Let me see if I can explain it better to you:

You go to a car dealer and there are two identical cars sitting there. Both look to be new.

The salesman says the first one one was traded in by the original owner, kept in the garage, never wrecked, and had a full service record showing the only thing ever done to it was change the oil/filter. Paint is perfect original finish as well. Car has 25k miles and runs great.

The other car has had 2 or 3 owners, no service history, does have a new motor and was recently repainted outside and has new leather seats. car as the same miles as the other and runs great.

To the buyer, they both look good. Which one would you buy? Would you expect both to command the same price? Would you think both cars will have the same reliability as each other down the road?

Now the dealer may get lucky and someone not too savvy on cars to offer close to the first one (if they didn't know the first one was available or bought into the dealer's BS telling them having the engine rebuilt and car repainted was better) but now consider the buyer is a car (or MC boat in your case) enthusist. Would you likely get the same outcome? Would you pay the same amount for the second car as the first? See my point?

I bought an original owner 2001 205V with all the bells and whistles at the peak of spring for $20k. Didn't need new skins, engine, or anything else. Looks like a new boat inside and out. All the service records, spare prop, etc. These kind of deals are out there. Would I pay even pay $20k for a 5 year newer boat that was beat? No. Another factor working against you is that there is nothing is significantly different (hull, engine, electronics interior) between a 2001 and 2006 so all you would be getting is a newer vin# and a boat that wasn't taken care of. If i were you i'd Take the $20k and run.

Thrall
09-04-2012, 01:16 PM
WOw, tough crowd!
This guy took everyone's advice the first time around and cleaned up his add, tons of pictures, professional responses to all of your stupid slams on his boat....................and you're still bustin his chops! If it's worth what he's asking someone will buy it for that much, if not, they won't, period.
Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

And who'd bust his balls about the carpet??? Grungy? Looks new, but needs vaccumed.

Good luck with the sale NEW06X1.

Rossterman
09-04-2012, 01:43 PM
WOw, tough crowd!
This guy took everyone's advice the first time around and cleaned up his add, tons of pictures, professional responses to all of your stupid slams on his boat....................and you're still bustin his chops! If it's worth what he's asking someone will buy it for that much, if not, they won't, period.
Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

And who'd bust his balls about the carpet??? Grungy? Looks new, but needs vaccumed.

Good luck with the sale NEW06X1.

Agree he has a much better written ad and now has good pictures. Not trying to dis him, rather provide some realistic advice on the boat and suggestions on options to get more money out of the sale. Sorry if I came off to you as something else but as others have said, it was advertised as new, is far from that condition, and will take a heap of work to get back in saleable shape. Was also trying to explain that most buyers will see the new engine and upholstry as a negative as it is indicative the boat was poorly maintained. the pics just confirm the rest of the boat isn't pristine either.

If it were me, I would do the cleanup and sell next spring because I like that kind of thing (rebuilding and restoring old cars, etc). If paying someone to do the work, he's probably going to spend what additional sale $ he earns paying to clean it up. There are several similar models on inboards only in the $30K range that will likey sell for $25k-$27k. IF the gel can be brought back and the rest cleaned up, he may conceivably find someone to pay that.

I know the original thread on this site had some pretty negative comments (from both sides) but folks are really here to help. As I said I am new to the mastercraft boat thing and found tons of help from folks on this board. I'm sure the seller would find good advice during the refurbishment if he was asking questions during the clean up process.

Cheers

Rossterman
09-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Ya I understand and totally agree. I've just invested too much on the interior and motor already. No more money that's why I'm trying as is! It needs a few thousand for someone to sand and buff and wax the gel, then I need to purchase mastercraft decals. Should I polish the ruder and prop?? Also what do u mean painted armrest and engine cover?? I'm new to boats and don't know much. I will Probally start fixing piece by piece in the winter. I got a offer of 20,000 but its a little too low for having rebuilt motor and interior. Its basically cosmetic problems now which should cost $2k - $3k but is hard work and time consuming. Thanks for your input. I'll keep u updated. Hopefully someone's looking for a project of there own for this winter and can take this mastercraft off my hands

I would do the winter cleanup as well. As to your questions- Yes would clean the rudder and running gear- maybe wire buff to remove corrosion on it and the strut, prop. Looked like the armrest was painted black but looking at the pics, it looks like the glovebox and dash are the same so maybe they came that color. Mine was grey matching the seat trim so thought it had been sprayed... Might be good to repainted the hatch support where the black paint is coming off as well or possibly just remove the paint?

Good luck

snork
09-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Mastercrafts 2004 and newer all sides, dash and trim went black in color

scott023
09-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Good luck with the sale. Let us know how it goes.

New06X1
09-09-2012, 06:18 PM
If i dont sell soon i WILL refurb it and Change alot of things over the winter! might have a procharger or turbo on it who knows lol

MC209
09-09-2012, 07:36 PM
good luck with the sale

Tristar Racing
09-10-2012, 12:23 PM
If i dont sell soon i WILL refurb it and Change alot of things over the winter! might have a procharger or turbo on it who knows lol

If you ever have hopes of selling, I would forego the procharger or turbo...

scott023
09-10-2012, 11:40 PM
No good way to cool the turbos on it... Hence the issues with the supercharged indmar motors. I would skip that idea if I was you...

Thrall
09-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Hey, with a blower, it might run fast enough to peel off all that old anti-fouling and paint!

New06X1
09-17-2012, 12:11 PM
It was a joke! I wouldnt waste my time or money making a boat go faster. I got a drag car for that.

Anyway im showing to someone for $22000

In the meantime paint is being stripped off with klean strip from west marine to avoid the sanding! Then i might have to 1000 grit wetsand some areas where the klean strip couldnt get all of it which i think it should remove everything cuz its such a cheap paint job. Then i will cut, buff, apply original decals and throw some wax on!

Rossterman
09-17-2012, 10:12 PM
It was a joke! I wouldnt waste my time or money making a boat go faster. I got a drag car for that.

Anyway im showing to someone for $22000

In the meantime paint is being stripped off with klean strip from west marine to avoid the sanding! Then i might have to 1000 grit wetsand some areas where the klean strip couldnt get all of it which i think it should remove everything cuz its such a cheap paint job. Then i will cut, buff, apply original decals and throw some wax on!

Post some pics when you get it polished up! They usually scuff the finish even with a cheap paint job so you may need to 800 grit wet sand the gel to get paint prep scratches out everywhere. I've heard the gel coat is very durable so should come back like new with some work. I'm always amazed at some pics posted where the 30yr old gel is chalked and faded and it comes back like new!

kalamalka
09-19-2012, 11:44 PM
I'd like to see pics myself.