PDA

View Full Version : Any pilots??

JohnnyB
09-01-2012, 12:21 PM
My current project is finishing the lower level of our house. Already thinking my next project is going to be an ampibious kit plane....piper or zenith kit. Anyone been down this path....

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

CantRepeat
09-01-2012, 12:43 PM
No, but in the words of James Belushi in the movie About Last Night,

I once nailed two airline stewardesses at 36,000 feet. You know what? It was fun. I had a fun time!

ProStar190Fan
09-05-2012, 01:24 PM
While I have never built a plane, I am a CFI and commercial pilot with multi-engine and instrument privilages. Would be a really cool project, post a lot of pics.

blackcreek
09-05-2012, 02:51 PM
I have been flying since 1980, airplanes make owning a boat look really inexpensive.

maxpower220
09-08-2012, 08:52 PM
What airplane ratings do you have? If you are starting from scratch, you may be very surprised at the cost of getting licenses. Oh, and just because you have a license, that doesn't mean you know what you are doing. Just ask JFK Jr. Amphib adds a whole new dimension to the fun.

Traxx822
09-09-2012, 12:08 AM
I beg to differ. I own a Cessna 150M 1975. With my gas milage and VFR needs. My boat costs way more than my Cessna. And as far as I go with flying. If it wasn't factory built ... i'm not flying it. I'm sure you have heard the saying. Theres old pilots and there is bold pilots however no old and bold pilots. Cause they are all dead. I hope you know what you are doing and have an A&P in your hand.

Dropped a recent photo of my plane. And I don't want to hear no bs about FAR's in here

Gnargnar
09-09-2012, 02:12 AM
Again...atta boy traxx

JohnnyB
09-09-2012, 09:41 AM
While I have never built a plane, I am a CFI and commercial pilot with multi-engine and instrument privilages. Would be a really cool project, post a lot of pics.

Probably at least a year off of getting serious about this......been doing lots of reading on certification s, etc. you are right.....might not be affordable

Of course from the time I was 10 until I was 30, I only dreamed of owning an mc....
:rolleyes:

blackcreek
09-09-2012, 01:23 PM
I beg to differ. I own a Cessna 150M 1975. With my gas milage and VFR needs. My boat costs way more than my Cessna. And as far as I go with flying. If it wasn't factory built ... i'm not flying it. I'm sure you have heard the saying. Theres old pilots and there is bold pilots however no old and bold pilots. Cause they are all dead. I hope you know what you are doing and have an A&P in your hand.

Dropped a recent photo of my plane. And I don't want to hear no bs about FAR's in here

A 1975 Mastercraft with 5000 hours on it is probably pretty inexpensive also. The boat doesn't require an annual or 5,000-10,000 bucks in extra training costs just to operate it. There is a good chance you can keep your boat at your house like I do and avoid tie down or 300 dollar a month hangar fees. If I want to work on my factory made boat I don't need an A&P and I can usually find any of the GM or Ford engine parts at the local wrecking yard or NAPA.
A fair comparison since boats and airplanes operate at fairly constant high horsepower levels would be engine size. My 100 Hp boat is going to be much cheaper to operate than the cessna 150 overall. Bump the horsepower level up to 300 and the chevy motor trounces the IO 540 airplane motor in overall operational costs.

Traxx822
09-09-2012, 10:38 PM
A 1975 Mastercraft with 5000 hours on it is probably pretty inexpensive also. The boat doesn't require an annual or 5,000-10,000 bucks in extra training costs just to operate it. There is a good chance you can keep your boat at your house like I do and avoid tie down or 300 dollar a month hangar fees. If I want to work on my factory made boat I don't need an A&P and I can usually find any of the GM or Ford engine parts at the local wrecking yard or NAPA.
A fair comparison since boats and airplanes operate at fairly constant high horsepower levels would be engine size. My 100 Hp boat is going to be much cheaper to operate than the cessna 150 overall. Bump the horsepower level up to 300 and the chevy motor trounces the IO 540 airplane motor in overall operational costs.

My engine cost 12k new. the engine is 100hp. The plane weights 1075lbs empty. lasts 2400 hours before needed overhaul My plane has 1000 hours so the plane will outlast me and the time that I own it. it flys 400 miles on a tank and sips 5.5 gallons an hour. Tie down $75 month at city municipal airport in Chicago. I fly almost every morning. My airplane never exceeds 2500rpm. Horizontally opposed engine, lead gas, dual spark plugs give full burn, $5.50 / gal. 100mph avg. speed & Insurance $650/year and annual inspection $600. This year I rotated spark plugs & two oil changes about $300. My cost a year with fuel is around $3000. My boat destroys that in fuel alone. $250/ weekend. (that's $5k in 12 weekends) plus toys, drinks, upgrades, repairs, & my slip @$850/year. I bought my plane so I didn't have to rent one during training. So my total cost with fuel was $3800 ish to get my license. Sorry but for under 20k you can be flying a nice plane. And there is nothing wrong with a 1975 plane. Most the planes at my airport are older (say 1950-1980) and cost between$50k- $100k. Age has no bearing on planes. A p-51 mustang, which you cannot get parts for, nortoriously break down because of being such old technology are over 1million. You talking 1950's plane. I'm actually looking to upgrade to a 4 seater Piper arrow 3 1978. (about $55k) Or Mooney H20 (preferably) (about $50k).

I want more people to get into general Aviation. Its a common misconception that it is too expensive to own and operate your own aircraft. I sacrificed a new Silverado for the plane so I drive a work truck that has no AC. But I have a plane and an MC ;-0

johnlanguab
09-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Those are encouraging words! I too, was thinking of trying to find a Cessna 150, 152 or 172 to get my pilot's license.

I keep getting frustrated with the costs or annuals, overhauls, and general maintenance. However, the $3k a year number is definitely doable. I didn't know the overhaul interval was 2400 hours on the 150's. That's a lot of hours!

Voodoo
09-09-2012, 11:55 PM
My engine cost 12k new. the engine is 100hp. The plane weights 1075lbs empty. lasts 2400 hours before needed overhaul My plane has 1000 hours so the plane will outlast me and the time that I own it. it flys 400 miles on a tank and sips 5.5 gallons an hour. Tie down $75 month at city municipal airport in Chicago. I fly almost every morning. My airplane never exceeds 2500rpm. Horizontally opposed engine, lead gas, dual spark plugs give full burn, $5.50 / gal. 100mph avg. speed & Insurance $650/year and annual inspection $600. This year I rotated spark plugs & two oil changes about $300. My cost a year with fuel is around $3000. My boat destroys that in fuel alone. $250/ weekend. (that's $5k in 12 weekends) plus toys, drinks, upgrades, repairs, & my slip @$850/year. I bought my plane so I didn't have to rent one during training. So my total cost with fuel was $3800 ish to get my license. Sorry but for under 20k you can be flying a nice plane. And there is nothing wrong with a 1975 plane. Most the planes at my airport are older (say 1950-1980) and cost between$50k- $100k. Age has no bearing on planes. A p-51 mustang, which you cannot get parts for, nortoriously break down because of being such old technology are over 1million. You talking 1950's plane. I'm actually looking to upgrade to a 4 seater Piper arrow 3 1978. (about $55k) Or Mooney H20 (preferably) (about $50k).

I want more people to get into general Aviation. Its a common misconception that it is too expensive to own and operate your own aircraft. I sacrificed a new Silverado for the plane so I drive a work truck that has no AC. But I have a plane and an MC ;-0

Flying aircraft is how I make my living. This does not in any way make me an expert with respect to either building a kit/homebuilt aircraft or from commenting on the above poster's experience with his 1975 plane. It all comes down to what you intend to do with the machine -- and the more you intend to accomplish with the machine then the more capabilities both you and the machine will require. Capabilities cost money, and in the case of aircraft or piloting privileges, they may cost alot of money.

If your intent is to fly "around the patch", bag a few landings in good weather and do some sight-seeing then perhaps this can be accomplished with a low aircraft budget, like the one described above. And in this case, you will need the minimum pilot privileges which will have the least cost to obtain.

However, if you see yourself flying longer distances (height and speed requirements), in congested airspace (avionics requirements), with a few passengers and luggage (load capacity, bigger engine (s), more fuel) in less than good weather (avionics requirements) then we are talking a whole new ballgame in terms of aircraft capabilities and pilot licensing requirements. In fact, the avionics alone can easily exceed the entire cost of the airplane mentioned above.

Flying is alot of fun. The key to longevity is to first obtain the requisite skill, commensurate with your intended activities, and then to consistently maintain your proficiency -- to the level at which you are rated.

Building an aircraft sounds like a fantastic project and I wish you all the best -- lots of folks do it successfully. Even though I have a veritable sh1tpot of flying experience, if I was to build an airplane, I sure as hell wouldn't be the first to fly it -- I'd hire a test pilot.

Voodoo

mikeg205
09-10-2012, 12:10 AM

Thread jack - Fly every morning? and boat on weekends? That' some rough livin' :) now I am gonna have to hook up with ya...

Now resuming our interrupted thread....

mikeg205
09-10-2012, 12:12 AM
No, but in the words of James Belushi in the movie About Last Night,

I once nailed two airline stewardesses at 36,000 feet. You know what? It was fun. I had a fun time!

great scene!!:cool:

Traxx822
09-10-2012, 12:43 AM
Thread jack - Fly every morning? and boat on weekends? That' some rough livin' :) now I am gonna have to hook up with ya...

Now resuming our interrupted thread....

Thread Jack
Yea pretty much every morning. I'm up at 5am to get my guys ready for the day and I have weekend crews too so usually after I gas em up and send them out the door to go to work I have about 2 hours free time and I go watch the sun come up behind Chicago.

Back to biz
Voodoo - well said I'd enjoy building it. Would never fly it. My plane is just that. For sight seeing and light commuting. Anything over a hour and a half and your done flying my plane trust me. But thats perfect for Chicago to Madison WI or Lafayette IN is only an hour +- with wind. Hence why the C-150 is called the commuter.

Glad to see you are undertaking a cool project though. Keep us posted

blackcreek
09-10-2012, 02:37 AM
Thread Jack
Yea pretty much every morning. I'm up at 5am to get my guys ready for the day and I have weekend crews too so usually after I gas em up and send them out the door to go to work I have about 2 hours free time and I go watch the sun come up behind Chicago.

Back to biz
Voodoo - well said I'd enjoy building it. Would never fly it. My plane is just that. For sight seeing and light commuting. Anything over a hour and a half and your done flying my plane trust me. But thats perfect for Chicago to Madison WI or Lafayette IN is only an hour +- with wind. Hence why the C-150 is called the commuter.

Glad to see you are undertaking a cool project though. Keep us posted

Sounds like you know what a 100 dollar hamburger means. I learned in a 150/152 back in 1979 and got my first rating in 1980, 20 bucks an hour wet back then, I forget what I spent for the IP but she was 22 and smokin hot. I work at Cecil field (KVQQ) fly on down some time and I'll take you out on the boat.

blackcreek
09-10-2012, 02:50 AM
Probably at least a year off of getting serious about this......been doing lots of reading on certification s, etc. you are right.....might not be affordable

Of course from the time I was 10 until I was 30, I only dreamed of owning an mc....
:rolleyes:

Have you been to Oshkosh or sun n fun? If you are thinking of building a plane you really owe yourself a trip. I was lucky enough to work at both several times and spent all my free time in the work shops. Anybody who knows anything about building aircraft will be there.

Scottyyhz
09-10-2012, 06:29 AM
Voodoo

Very wise words.. Who do you fly for now? Up here in the great white north I am a training captain for Air Canada.

A fellow from work built one of these a few years ago..

http://www.pattersonaerosales.com/Aircraft/Moose/Moose.html

There are some fantastic kit planes out there. I highly recommend a trip to Oshkosh where you can talk to many experienced builders who can save you years of grief. I have known of a few fellows to get into something without doing the proper research. Just have a look on ebay at any given time and see some of the failed kits people are trying to fleece.

Good luck though with your dream.. There are some seriously amazing planes available, and as long as it fits your experience and skill level, it should turn out amazing!

Cheers

dtc
09-10-2012, 07:58 AM
I agree with the wisdom and words of the others who have posted here, and in the spirit of brevity, really only have two statements to add ...

First is; Go for it!

Secondly, a great quote that correlates both boating and flying; "Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect"

Traxx822
09-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Sounds like you know what a 100 dollar hamburger means. I learned in a 150/152 back in 1979 and got my first rating in 1980, 20 bucks an hour wet back then, I forget what I spent for the IP but she was 22 and smokin hot. I work at Cecil field (KVQQ) fly on down some time and I'll take you out on the boat.

Yes I do. lol. And if I flew my C 150 down to Florida it would take about 10 hours. Wish my IP was hot. He was a 69 year old guy and it was $185/hr wet. Bought a plane and he was only $40 hour plus about $30 in fuel.

Although I have some friends that owe me time in their planes. Best part of owning a C-150. Everyone else at the airport doesn't and wants to use your plane to take their grandkids around the pattern instead of their 12gal/hour plane. So I trade time for time. I got most my endorsements that way. Tailwheel, high performance, complex, MEL, etc etc.

Come up here and I'll take you out on the boat ;) @ 1C5 Bolingbrook Clow

blackcreek
09-10-2012, 09:32 AM

Now that's an airplane I could retire with and fly all over Canada with a fishing pole. What's the powerball lotto at right now?

Voodoo
09-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Voodoo

Very wise words.. Who do you fly for now? Up here in the great white north I am a training captain for Air Canada.

A fellow from work built one of these a few years ago..

There are some fantastic kit planes out there. I highly recommend a trip to Oshkosh where you can talk to many experienced builders who can save you years of grief. I have known of a few fellows to get into something without doing the proper research. Just have a look on ebay at any given time and see some of the failed kits people are trying to fleece.

Good luck though with your dream.. There are some seriously amazing planes available, and as long as it fits your experience and skill level, it should turn out amazing!

Cheers

I fly for UAL. Prior to that I was USN active duty followed by ten years in the Air Guard. I know a guy, maybe retired by now, who had a career with Air Canada and I'll send you a PM to see if you might know him.
Voodoo

blackcreek
09-10-2012, 01:12 PM
I fly for UAL. Prior to that I was USN active duty followed by ten years in the Air Guard.
Voodoo
What squadron's? I was in from 81 to 87, son number one was born at NAS Corpus Christi and son number two was born at NAS Jacksonville. Pinned my wings on my first son back in 2006.

Voodoo
09-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Trained at VT3, 23, 22. Sergrad at 22. Then VF101,VF32, VF45, VFA106 and finished USN at VFA192. Transitioned to Air Guard/UAL afterwards.
Voodoo

blackcreek
09-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Sounds just like my boy. VT3, VT 22, VFA106, VFA 115, and now he is an IP at Topgun which moved to Fallon. I was Vt-27,28 then flew round motors at VT27 as a sergrad. One tour flying the perdiem-3 and I was done. Did a short stint (1987)at American under the wonderful B-scale and was literally starving with a wife,2 kids, and a mortgage. Jumped ship over to the customs service and have been flying for them for the last 25 years. Hopefully you didn't get poo-jammed on your retirement like my buddies at Delta.
Back on topic I would love to build an airplane. My wife saw me looking at some of the links for airplanes in this thread and she said to just stop it. Besides lack of funds and a wife telling me no I don't see a problem with it. Seems I have to build a house for the wife in the North Carolina mountains first.

jeffbare
09-10-2012, 04:49 PM
I fly for UAL. Prior to that I was USN active duty followed by ten years in the Air Guard. I know a guy, maybe retired by now, who had a career with Air Canada and I'll send you a PM to see if you might know him.
Voodoo

My dad spent 40 years with United, with his last flight on April 1, 1999, it has been tough to see what has happened to a once great industry. At the time my dad seemed to be retiring at a great time, but with the BK and what it did to pensions, it left a pretty sour taste in his mouth. How long have you been with United?

shepherd
09-12-2012, 02:28 PM
My current project is finishing the lower level of our house. Already thinking my next project is going to be an ampibious kit plane....piper or zenith kit. Anyone been down this path....

Johnny,

My father has a partly-finished amphib project that he's looking to sell. He bought it partly-finished but will never get around to finishing it himself (he's 81 years old now). The plane is an Osprey amphib (see first pic below). He even has the engine for it. PM me if you're interested and I'll get the details for you. The kit is in MD. He actually wanted to give it to me to build but I don't have the time.

My father did build an RV-6 (see second pic below) years ago and is still flying it. The plane only has a 150 hp motor with fixed prop and it is a rocket ship - cruises easily at 160 mph. Try to find a factory-built plane that can do that for under 6 figures $$$$. I've flown the plane myself several times from the right seat (I'm not tail-dragger qualified) and it's a blast.

Building a plane is a major project. It can take years, and there are a series of inspections required by the FAA during the building process. The best resource for information - and help when you start building - is the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA, http://www.eaa.org/, they put on the Oshkosh Air Show). I'm sure there's a chapter in your area and, from what I've seen/heard, the members are more than willing to provide help and advice.

Good luck!

shepherd
09-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Another option, if you don't want to commit too much time and resources: Build an ultralight amphibian aircraft. Much cheaper - you can even trailer them back and forth to the lake. And, if I remember correctly, you don't need a full pilot's license to fly one.

blackcreek
09-12-2012, 10:18 PM
That looks like a kit version of the Lake Amphib.

Traxx822
10-20-2012, 04:05 PM
http://youtu.be/7HMmQDsuvec

sea ray kit plane running slalom course LOL

Ron Grover
10-20-2012, 08:34 PM
I have a cousin that built a RV8. He flies it everywhere. He took me for a ride once and it was a thrill.

2RLAKE
10-21-2012, 09:45 AM
I have a cousin that built a RV8. He flies it everywhere. He took me for a ride once and it was a thrill.

my brother in law has built about 5 or 6 ... they are incredible airplanes ... he's in a aerobatic club and flying with him is exciting to say the least ... cant seem to find any pictures of it though

ProStar Slalom
10-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Trained at VT3, 23, 22. Sergrad at 22. Then VF101,VF32, VF45, VFA106 and finished USN at VFA192. Transitioned to Air Guard/UAL afterwards.
Voodoo

Tomcats? Too bad they're all gone now....

east tx skier
10-24-2012, 12:29 AM
I flew when I was a kid. Just Cessnas. Soloed. Did a few cross countries, etc. Ran out of time and put the money I was spending toward college.

My dad was the big pilot in the family. 10,000 private pilot hours. A slew of twin bonanzas and a Twin Bonanza Excalibur for the first twenty years. And for the last 15 years or so, he flew a Jet Commander 1121 similar to this. Cool as hell. Loud as hell.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/9/1/5/1079519.jpg

shepherd
10-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Sounds like my story. I have a few hundred hours, mostly in Cessnas. My dad has thousands and flew almost everthing (except jets). Of course, times were different back in those days. He told me how -- to rent a plane back then -- you could just walk into the FBO, show them your license, tell them which plane you wanted, and they'll just give you the keys. No checkride required, even if it was a model you've never flown before.

east tx skier
10-24-2012, 05:04 PM
My older half brother tells similar stories. I used to get weird looks when I'd go in to rent a plane at age 17.

get_sum
10-24-2012, 11:31 PM
Active Duty Navy - almost 14 years here (though most was 'E' time). Just finished all the FO pipeline in Pensacola and I'm here in glorious Oklahoma for E-6B time. About to get my wings of gold on Pearl Harbor Day. Then off to VQ3. I was too old for Pilot and barely made FO by three weeks. I have the typical IFS time (~30 hours in a 172SP). I solo'd in the pattern. I need about 15-20 more hours and my cross-country and CC solo to complete my private. Nothing like the instructor climbing out of the plane and saying "have fun", "don't kill yourself!"

Traxx822
10-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Active Duty Navy - almost 14 years here (though most was 'E' time). Just finished all the FO pipeline in Pensacola and I'm here in glorious Oklahoma for E-6B time. About to get my wings of gold on Pearl Harbor Day. Then off to VQ3. I was too old for Pilot and barely made FO by three weeks. I have the typical IFS time (~30 hours in a 172SP). I solo'd in the pattern. I need about 15-20 more hours and my cross-country and CC solo to complete my private. Nothing like the instructor climbing out of the plane and saying "have fun", "don't kill yourself!"

HAHA. Sounds just like my old flight instructor. He was old school. Told stories of flight instruction being $16/hr wet. And thats with the instructor and plane rental with fuel for those who don't know. When I took lessons it was $135/hr and nowadays I see around $180/hr at places here in Chicago.

Anyways on my first solo he said the same thing. I remember taking off the first time without his 220#'s extra in a 150 makes a huge difference. That plane climbs like an angel trying to get back to heaven. what a difference. I remember saying "god if you get me down I will never come back up here" and then when I landed my instructor waived me by to go again and after that it was all gravy baby.

dtc
10-25-2012, 10:45 AM
I miss flying around for fun ... used to do it a bunch ... lost my airline (Hawaiian) job after 9.11 ... now fly the world's fastest jet without an ejection seat (CE750) and have a full appreciation of blackcreek's "starving with a wife, 2 kids, and a mortgage" comment ... although I never got to live the glory days of aviation, either private or commercial, I was blessed with the opportunity of my first jet being the 727 and sharing the cockpit with lots of old Braniff & Eastern guys from whom I heard many a story, and learned more than I could have without them ... favorite moments now are watching the AgCats or Thrushs go over our lake and drop down to inches off the water saluting us as we're breaking between passes or sets!

2RLAKE
10-25-2012, 12:55 PM
I miss flying around for fun ... used to do it a bunch ... lost my airline (Hawaiian) job after 9.11 ... now fly the world's fastest jet without an ejection seat (CE750) and have a full appreciation of blackcreek's "starving with a wife, 2 kids, and a mortgage" comment ... although I never got to live the glory days of aviation, either private or commercial, I was blessed with the opportunity of my first jet being the 727 and sharing the cockpit with lots of old Braniff & Eastern guys from whom I heard many a story, and learned more than I could have without them ... favorite moments now are watching the AgCats or Thrushs go over our lake and drop down to inches off the water saluting us as we're breaking between passes or sets!

New Thrush aircraft are now being delivered with an awesome new engine ... couple delivered yesteday

http://www.thrushaircraft.com/en/information/new/news/219-thrush-510g-awarded-type-inspection-authorization-from-faa.html

VP46
10-25-2012, 02:03 PM
~100 hrs in c150/2 - aside from 1st long x-country solo - one of my favorite moments was landing on grass strips. Nearly the whole family flies - I'm 1 of 8 and all but 3 of us have our ticket. only 1 still active (his list of personal aircrft: b-55 (commuter to get to his airline gig) to aerostar to MU-2 (LOVE that plane) to b-58 to current post Obama bird a gorgeous V-35.

I was nearly born in a light blue Six on the way back from Pauma Valley but grew up traveling in my fathers seneca 2 - flew that EVERYwhere So Cal to Maine and everywhere in between. We had that a warrior 2 and a c-120 bought to train the kids of which he later lost his life in via midair (he would not have had it any other way).

Truly love flying.... be it wakeboarding or in the left seat (right seat hell any seat). Last flight was in a PC-12 fly fishing in Montana (left seat but who cares - loved every min of it anyway).

Glory days of Aviation behind us? I hope not.

FrankSchwab
10-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Can't help the OP, but 500 hours of unpowered flight here...some of the best (and a few of the worst) hours of my life.

tlukens
10-25-2012, 04:55 PM
I am a pilot for NetJets Aviation. Fly a Falcon 2000. Most of the time I'm in the air I stare down at the ground looking for lakes that would be ski on.