PDA

View Full Version : Trying to make a decision, X45

mca1710
08-31-2012, 10:32 PM
I am looking at two similarly priced used X45s and need some help with the decision.

The first one is a 2008 with 8.1 engine with 311 hours on it. This boat looks great in the pictures and is too far away for me to inspect it before buying. The local Mastercraft dealer is selling it and they will provide service history and have been helpful answering my questions. This boat has few more options than the other boat.

The second boat is a 2009 x45 with almost 400 hours on it and it has the LY6 engine. My local Mastercraft dealer is selling this one. They said this was their demo boat in 2009 and then was sold to a customer. They bought it back on a trade for a newer model a few weeks ago.

Which would you choose? The older model with fewer hours and the bigger engine or the newer model with the smaller engine and more hours?

How much gas is that big block going to drink? I have seen some post where people talk about gallons per hour is it going to be that big of a difference?

I plan to use the boat in the Atlanta area and will tow it to other local lakes.

Any help is appreciated. I am new to your forum and have received a lot of help so far.

AZX45OD
08-31-2012, 10:37 PM
If you do a search on fuel consumption you will find plenty of discussions regarding this topic. I have a 2012 X45 with the 6.0L, and have been happy with the power output. Many will tell you however that the 8.1 actually consumes less fuel since it doesn't have to work as hard. I think you would be happy with either choice, but generally more power is better, and if anything may save you some on gas. But, there is a lot to be said for dealing locally and convenience, etc. Any preference in colors or other options?

Duane D
08-31-2012, 10:42 PM
If the local one you are considering is the one at Watersports Central, I would definitely go with that one. I bought my X2 from them a few years ago and I have had nothing but good experiences with Mike D and Johnny over there. The blue and white looks great on that boat too!

mca1710
08-31-2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. The wife likes the color of the 2008 boat better, red and black vs blue and white. The 2008 boat has 2008 boat comes with more tower speaks, extra lighting, and the removable table. Those things should not make the difference but the color is important.

The 2009 is from Watersports Central. I took a demo cruise in a 2012 today to get a feel for the boat. Its a really nice boat. Such a big change from my Chaparral 220.

Sampson
09-01-2012, 01:49 AM
I have had both the 6.0L and 8.1L and would not have another 8.1L. I had a lot of engine issues and it was a 2008. Actually had to have it replaced with a reman. I now have a 2012 with the 6.0L and love it. Gas consumption isn't great with either but there have been issues with 8.1s and if you have any issues they are hard to find as I have been told they are no longer made! Good luck

jostevenso
09-01-2012, 01:57 AM
I have a 2006 X45 with the 8.1. To give you an idea on fuel consumption, when we are Lake Powell we spend a lot of time each day out on the lake doing all kinds of playing: surfing, wakeboarding, kneeboarding, canyon exploring, etc. We are probably on the lake 8 or 9 hours a day and go through 40 - 50 gallons of gas per day. I don't know how this compares to the LY6. However, there are a lot of reasons to want the extra power of the big block. The X45 is a large heavy boat. If you load it up with people and/or fill the ballast tanks you'll want the extra power, especially the low end torq for surfing or pulling out a skiier. If you ever use the boat at elevation you'll also want the bigger engine. I'm from Utah and for many years the local MC dealer wouldn't bring in an X45 without the 8.1 due to elevation. We're at about 4000 ft but many of the lakes are higher.

Given that the 2008 has 25% fewer hours, more options, the bigger engine, and your wife likes the color better, I'd say you'd want to give it a pretty close look!

scott023
09-01-2012, 09:45 AM
I would most certainly go with the 2008 as well. By the sounds of it, it has more options, and the 8.1 was about a 5K upgrade over the 6.0 that year. Less hours as well. :twocents:

MASTIQUE
09-01-2012, 10:37 AM
There are a lot 8.1 supporters on here and u've always said that it is always better to have more power and not need it, then to not have enough and want it later. This case is the one exception I can think of and is backsaw of issues the 8.1 platform has had. There are many many replacements and this is not a supported engine any longer. It was used for a short time and at some point parts may be an issue. I have the 6.0 in my 45 and I'm very happy. I run loaded with no problems all the time. I'd go local and with a more reliable engine and have no surprises!!!

mca1710
09-01-2012, 03:34 PM
There are a lot of opinions on 8.1 engines. It’s not making my decision easy. It seems some people that have them are ok and would not change. Then you got a large group of people saying the engine is problematic and to avoid it.

If you have time please post additional comments for or against the 8.1

Thanks

jafo9
09-01-2012, 03:46 PM
if the wife ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

scott023
09-01-2012, 08:09 PM
There are a lot 8.1 supporters on here and u've always said that it is always better to have more power and not need it, then to not have enough and want it later. This case is the one exception I can think of and is backsaw of issues the 8.1 platform has had. There are many many replacements and this is not a supported engine any longer. It was used for a short time and at some point parts may be an issue. I have the 6.0 in my 45 and I'm very happy. I run loaded with no problems all the time. I'd go local and with a more reliable engine and have no surprises!!!

I've had mine for four years, no issue. No several guys around here with it that haven't had issues either. What evidence do you have to support your claim?

Cmpdman
09-02-2012, 02:21 AM
Had the 8.1 in our 08, never had a problem with it & loved the power.

JohnE
09-02-2012, 03:48 AM
Search on here for posts by MYMC regarding the 8.1 He's not here anymore, but he is a former MC dealer and a professional engine builder. If you put in the time, you will find answers to all of your questions, with substantiation. Not rhetoric, propaganda, or anything else. My take on everything I read over the past 6 years is that there is no way I would want less of an engine in a boat of that size given the opportunity.

Good luck.

V-man
09-02-2012, 02:13 PM
'07 with 450 hours on an 8.1. Knock on wood.

MC209
09-02-2012, 02:36 PM
happy wife, happy life!

prostar205
09-02-2012, 02:46 PM
'02 X-30 with 485 hrs on an L-18 - NOT ONE SINGLE PROBLEM.

With the X-45, go with the L-18. As many have said, I've never heard some say "My boat has too much power."

Also, regarding fuel useage - who buys a boat for fuel economy??? Fuel economy - WHO CARES!!!! It's a boat.

jgraham37128
09-02-2012, 03:09 PM
When your spending this kind of money get exactly what you want. The end of the summer is here in the southeast so do get impatient right now because in 30-60 days it will be in the garage. I'm a color person too. I would always choose color over motor. I also think it's important your wife likes it too. If you carry her to the lake in boat she didn't want to buy and something happens you will hear.....I told you we should've bought the other boat.

I was in the same spot at the start of summer...I had a pocket full of money and looking for a boat. Which isn't a good spot to be, but I waited and found one exactly like I was wanting it did take 30-45 days but I did find it! It was an easy deal and was 4 hours form home. I heard my wife say three to four times this year, I'm so glad we waited and got exactly what we wanted, and I agree. We've really enjoyed our boat this year too!

Good luck.

XStar08
09-02-2012, 03:53 PM
You should go with the one from your local dealer, the 8.1l is an outdated engine. I would not base my decision on hours since these engines are both made to last for a lot more.

XStar08

JohnE
09-02-2012, 04:25 PM
You should go with the one from your local dealer, the 8.1l is an outdated engine. I would not base my decision on hours since these engines are both made to last for a lot more.

XStar08

Outdated because of emissions. The 8.1 is the best engine that has ever been available in a larger mc. The only reason every big mc didn't come with one is because of the additional cost. When an engine that cost less money could "do the job" they would justify the choice.

I'm yet to see the best engine for a boat not be the most expensive option.

scott023
09-02-2012, 06:32 PM

XStar08

Outdated because of emissions. The 8.1 is the best engine that has ever been available in a larger mc. The only reason every big mc didn't come with one is because of the additional cost. When an engine that cost less money could "do the job" they would justify the choice.

I'm yet to see the best engine for a boat not be the most expensive option.

Exactly right. If there wasn't an additional cost of more than 12k over the MCX and 6k over the LY6, everyone would have the big block in their 45. No two ways about it.

I have yet to hear one of these people that claim there were issues with the L18 come to the table with anything to support their statements... Just goes to show you that the issues were not as many as people think.

scott023
09-02-2012, 06:33 PM

XStar08

Isn't the LY6 "outdated" as well? MC doesn't put me in their boats anymore either. :confused:

mca1710
09-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the debate here. I am going to talk with both dealers this week to see which one is going to offer the best deal. I will let you know how it goes.

magnum
09-03-2012, 12:17 AM
I have an 06 x-star with the 8.1L. Couldn't be happier with this engine excellent power and have not had any issues such as the oil burning. Does not use any between oil changes

erkoehler
09-03-2012, 01:32 AM
I have a mint 2008 x45x15 coming in used. Has 8.1L and fully loaded.

Email : eric@Lauderdalelakesmarina
Com for more info.

Forrest-X45
09-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Exactly right. If there wasn't an additional cost of more than 12k over the MCX and 6k over the LY6, everyone would have the big block in their 45. No two ways about it.

I have yet to hear one of these people that claim there were issues with the L18 come to the table with anything to support their statements... Just goes to show you that the issues were not as many as people think.

I totally agree. Break in is key but check your oil level often like any other engine and you will be fine with the L18. I would still like one..... ;)

NatesGr8
09-04-2012, 06:09 PM
i have the 6.0 you should go with the 8.1, i'm happy with the 6.0 but given your choices i would have picked the 8.1.

SpryBeast
09-05-2012, 12:59 AM
'03 X-30, 8.1L, no issues, no burning oil. LOVE the power.

connormcmullin1@gmail.com
05-12-2013, 12:30 AM
To be honest I have the 8.1L and it sucks the gas but really i have so much power and I love it. Yes my wallet is very thin now but it is so worth it. like in previous comments its better to have more power then not enough. and if you weight down the boat the 8.1L will still have no problem getting on plane. I run 3700LBS when we wakeboard and it will get up to 24.7 faster than any boat out on the water with weight! But one other thing remember you are buying a B.O.A.T Bust out another thousand.