PDA

View Full Version : Boating on Holidays

GoneBoatN
08-31-2012, 08:35 PM
I'm wondering how many others out there avoid boating over the holidays. Comments?

I'm not boating :mad: so I don't have better things to do other than ask silly questions... :rolleyes:

SunCoast 83
08-31-2012, 09:25 PM
I'm staying off the lake for sure.

I may surf instead if the waves are good out at Symrna

bill-d-c
08-31-2012, 10:23 PM
I never take the boat out on holidays...never!
Bill

peason
08-31-2012, 10:42 PM
Our lake isn't too busy on the holidays so hopefully I am not jinxing myself for this weekend!

Tristar Racing
08-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Avoiding the ramps and waterways like the plague. Holidays bring out the really clueless boaters.

snork
08-31-2012, 10:51 PM
never miss a weekend regardless

ted shred
08-31-2012, 10:55 PM
Never on a holiday. To many wackos on the water.

ridesdirt
08-31-2012, 11:07 PM
Early mornings and late evenings... but extra careful. If our usual spots are full of tubers we will surf the main channel on the way back to put it away...

HRC
08-31-2012, 11:35 PM
We don't go on holidays anymore either.

Ryan
08-31-2012, 11:45 PM
I didn't used to. However, living OH once and now again, it's been fantastic! After crouded lakes in Indiana on holidays I headed out this past Memorial Day expecting to swim, tube but that water would be too rough to ski or board. I was shocked to get a ton of smooth water.

I presume two things: 1) tons of boaters head to KY and TN for bigger lakes on long weekends 2) the slightest risk of rain keeps OH boaters at home 3) go out on the last day of the weekend when many others are suburned and working off a hang over ;) I'll be out on Mon with a buddy. If the water's bad, we'll surf his CC.

Traxx822
08-31-2012, 11:54 PM
I hear yah all on this. Hate going out on Holidays. Thats mainly the reason I waited to get some repairs done over the weekend. Couldn't use the boat if I wanted to anyways.

Redstorm
09-01-2012, 12:49 AM
Avoiding the ramps and waterways like the plague. Holidays bring out the really clueless boaters.

+ 1. .

ChandlerR
09-01-2012, 06:38 AM
Never liked holidays much myself, but that was the only time the whole family could get together. We bought a waterfront place almost 5 years ago and now I really hate holidays. We usually make an early before breakfast run, then sit and watch the masses till about an hour before dark, then we head out again. Love it when it rains too. Runs everybody off, then after the rain the lake is like glass and we head out again.

toddmc
09-01-2012, 07:19 AM
I Bring out the pontoon and cruise and watch all the people

JohnnyB
09-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Lake was quiet around 3pm so we did a couple footin runs and then the pwc s came out like a swarm hoping for some wakes to jump.

48 deg right now....will go out for some glass shortly and have the lake to ourselves

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

bbymgr
09-01-2012, 09:30 AM
We go out, but never for sporting activities. Like most other people have stated, it's just to crowded with stupid people. We usually spend time at the sandbar.

pmikler
09-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Already out and back! It is like amature hour. Taking the boat out of the water this morning and 2 diffident dads are yelling at their sons when putting the boats in because the boats are swinging around and hitting the dock. The dads get in their respective boats and both proceed to get in and clip the docks as they are backing out. Good times

2RLAKE
09-01-2012, 10:43 AM
We just finished the morning barefoot runs ... Got about 10 runs in this morning on butter water ... Might not be that good all weekend but we are here!

CruisinGA
09-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Not too bad on our lake... Footed at 4pm on a beautiful July 4th this year!

JohnnyB
09-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Nephew and I just got back from a half dozen or so barefoot runs on the glass, then a slalom run each.....people just starting to wake up....

H

Redstorm
09-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Good time to take a chair, beer and a camera to the ramp and watch the comedy show!

wheelerlake
09-01-2012, 11:28 AM
JohnnyB, which lake do you go to? Wheeler has certain ski hours and all the rule nazi's come out if you go before or after. Even when we ski til 8 on Wed they are *****in':( All the lakes up here have ski hours yet there's no one to enforce it. They are town/township ordinances yet no deputy to enforce. DNR is sunrise to sunset so they don't enforce it, either. Funny, all the fishermen seem to think the slow/no wake rules don't apply to them as they're full bore to their fishing spot. HA! To continue with the topic, we stay off the lake with the ski boat, too. I've had to take evasive action with my grandkids in the boat to avoid an idiot boat driver watching his tuber instead of where he's driving, he pulled the tuber less than 25' off our bow as we were stopped. We get tossed around in the pontoon from the 40' waves the toobers create out there. It's crazy and scary!

JohnnyB
09-01-2012, 12:18 PM
JohnnyB, which lake do you go to? Wheeler has certain ski hours and all the rule nazi's come out if you go before or after. Even when we ski til 8 on Wed they are *****in':( All the lakes up here have ski hours yet there's no one to enforce it. They are town/township ordinances yet no deputy to enforce. DNR is sunrise to sunset so they don't enforce it, either. Funny, all the fishermen seem to think the slow/no wake rules don't apply to them as they're full bore to their fishing spot. HA! To continue with the topic, we stay off the lake with the ski boat, too. I've had to take evasive action with my grandkids in the boat to avoid an idiot boat driver watching his tuber instead of where he's driving, he pulled the tuber less than 25' off our bow as we were stopped. We get tossed around in the pontoon from the 40' waves the toobers create out there. It's crazy and scary!

In Oneida county on a small lake near lake tom. Lake is crazy here now.....

I know all lakes in forest county have hours. That would suck....no morning glass :-(

jafo9
09-01-2012, 02:52 PM
we got pretty lucky this morning. threat of rain kept the crowd down. still plenty of die hard tubers. even my kids love to participate in "tuber bashing". as the weather seems to be clearing, i think its time to grab the beer and the pontoon and go beach the boat on our local island.

CruisinGA
09-01-2012, 03:03 PM
GF just sent me this pic off our dock... I'm at the dove field, be there later to tear up some Labor Day glass!http://img.tapatalk.com/a6937999-5c0e-936c.jpg

JohnnyB
09-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Hitting peak on our 90 acre lake...2 boats and one pwc pulling tubes, another pwc pulling a skier, a bu pulling 3 tubers, plus 2 pontoons cruising...#s seem to be going up as I am typing....+1 boat w tube.....

wheelerlake
09-01-2012, 09:55 PM
I opted to powerwash the cottage today, getting projects done before total knee on the 12th. The guy that observes for me counted 17 boats on the lake today...multiply that exponentially as he can't even see me at the end of the rope when I'm skiing:) Must have been bad out there!

thatsmrmastercraft
09-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Stayed home this weekend and getting some boat and truck projects knocked off the list. Way too nuts on the water for me. I will be on the water early tomorrow chasing a musky or two though.

Wired_Right
09-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Anyone in Tahoe this weekend?
Had a great time at Whale Beach today.
Going to Emerald Bay tomorrow.

SunCoast 83
09-01-2012, 11:34 PM
I Bring out the pontoon and cruise and watch all the people

Man I wish I had a pontoon! Love those boats. Oh well...someday

I may venture down to the boat ramp with a 6 pack around 4:00pm. Just as everyone drunk stupid will attempt the ritual of loading up. Go see that for some thigh grabbing laugh your *** off humor.....how many cars will end up in the lake? How many boats land on the ramp? :D:D

Traxx822
09-02-2012, 08:25 AM
^^ boaters favorite past time ... or at least second favorite. Has to be watching divorces unfold right before your eyes.

Been rainy and overcast all day yesterday and today doesn't look better. Be back on the water on Wednesday

peason
09-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Unbelievable day - yesterday - Absolutely no one else on the lake - I don't know where everyone dissappeared to but we had the lake all to ourselves!

Brian B
09-02-2012, 12:07 PM
I rarely go out on a weekend, let alone a holiday weekend. Too many drunks and no good water......

tdjaster
09-02-2012, 04:27 PM
I did because this was a one-time thing...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=50645

SP Maristar
09-02-2012, 06:18 PM
We went out yesterday and it was fine. Busy, but fine. Went out again today. Extremely busy. Then came the return trip to the launch. We watched as many boats launched in the three lanes. As soon as one boat hit the water, another trailer lined up in its place. There were people seemingly counting their life vests, people not walking their boats back, people gabbing in the lanes. We waited maybe 15 minutes in full view of all three lanes and no one let us come in to pull our boat. Am I missing something? The parking lot was full and I would have freed up a spot if only someone would have let me out. I thought pacing at a safe distance was the right thing to do to try to get a lane to pull our boat. Am I supposed to go get our trailer, claim a lane, then drive the boat to that lane?

Needless to say, we never camp on holiday weekends, and we will think seriously about boating on one also from here on out.

1redTA
09-02-2012, 08:03 PM
we went out today the weather and water was great83780

maristardd
09-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Saturday at our local lake was half as busy as it was last week - people must have left to go to 'destination' spots like Lake Tahoe, or been afraid of the crowds? Nice for the kids and another familty that came out. BTW, Friday morning was amazing - empty and calm (photo below)

john jones
09-03-2012, 02:23 AM
Went out Saturday around 11:00. Told my wife. "If we are going this weekend lets do it on saturday." In my mind I was thinking, first college football day everyone will be getting ready for the games and their parties. Good call! Awesome day here in Oregon, lots of fun, light traffic on the river! I won't push my luck though, I am done for the weekend!

Typically though, I never go out on 3 day weekends, too busy, too many idiots!

zsqure
09-03-2012, 06:52 AM
Saturday, after the kids' soccer we went to the local cruise-ing lake and saw not only the Sheriff passing out invites, but must have seen 3 0r 4 coastguard auxiliary boats staffed with 4 CG. Something was up. I'll drink on my lawnmower, not in my boat.

Jerseydave
09-03-2012, 07:47 AM
Saturday was the only good weather day this weekend, so instead of heading to our usual local spot we drove an extra 1/2 hour to my friends house on a river in PA. Good call, as it was not crowded at all, plus I finally got the chance to ride doubles with my 9 y.o. daughter for the 1st time! She loved it!

JohnnyB
09-03-2012, 07:57 AM
48 deg morning again yesterday......got several footin runs in with my nephew and then slalomed. Had the lake to ourselves until it hit the mid 60s, then it erupted with traffic.

When I get it, will post a pic my nephews wife took.....boat coming into the dock right at her with me and my nephew footin on either side....

Back home today. Put the boat on the lift at dusk last night. Landing was a zoo and lots of traffic on the water...staying off the water today

Ryan
09-03-2012, 08:23 AM
So much for my plan to get the best water today. The forecast is a day full of rain as Isaac's remnant shifted to us. I'd take the whole family out with swim goggles on but there's a high chance of lightning.

MC209
09-03-2012, 12:15 PM
made a ski run last night and this morning, all before all the silly fishers and jet skis arrive and ruin it for everybody! haha

detonate69
09-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Man I feel sorry for some of you and your lakes. Lol. It's our third day out on the California delta and it's been great the whole time. Smooth water, no wind, warm weather. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

wheelerlake
09-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Waited out the flatlanders and had a GREAT run about 4:30 this afternoon. We had the lake to ourselves, no one else out there. 5 minutes after we put the boat as far on the lift as we could the heavens opened:) going to try for another run in the morning before vacay is over:( The grandkids came up Saturday and I have to humbly admit we TOOBED!! Unfortunately there is no way we could have tried to teach them to ski this weekend. I wouldn't have skied out there it was so bad/rough, so we toobed, went into the swamp with the paddle boat and snorkeled off the dock. Made our own memories! Love the MC for pulling the 3 tubes/4 kids! If you can't beat them, join them.

mikeg205
09-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Ah yes, Labor day...for some reason the masses including jet skiers are now putting their boats away for the season up here in Chicago-land...only the die-hards and fisherman will be seen until next year....the next 7-9 weeks are almost the best time to get out. Light traffic on weekends and nearly no traffic on week days... oh btw only if you were wondering...

http://www.xmasclock.com/

112 shopping days left... :)

Skipper
09-04-2012, 11:03 PM
No toobers, wake surfers, or jet skiers early in the morning until after breakfast...they seem to take a break for dinner too, strange creatures that seem to be driven by their need to eat too much and destroy even the most pristine water. But they seem to provide a nearly endless supply of hot girls in bikinis so...to each his own.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Ah yes, Labor day...for some reason the masses including jet skiers are now putting their boats away for the season up here in Chicago-land...only the die-hards and fisherman will be seen until next year....the next 7-9 weeks are almost the best time to get out. Light traffic on weekends and nearly no traffic on week days... oh btw only if you were wondering...

http://www.xmasclock.com/

112 shopping days left... :)

Nice touch.

mikeg205
09-04-2012, 11:52 PM
got out today...saw one boat...only got 90 minutes...cause of work and sunset...but it was a great 990 minutes of glass and slalom....84 degrees and boat ramp when we :( loaded boat on trailers at 8:00pm...

GoneBoatN
09-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Well as usual I gave the holiday weekend up to the masses of boaters. Stayed home, got some work done on the bathroom I'm remodeling. Next weekend we have campground reservations at my favorite spot and expect to put some unabated hours on the engine while wakeboarding. :)

I tend to put quite a bit of hours on the boat in September and October in past years and plan to repeat again this year. :cool:

GoneBoatN
09-05-2012, 12:14 AM
Man I feel sorry for some of you and your lakes. Lol. It's our third day out on the California delta and it's been great the whole time. Smooth water, no wind, warm weather. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

I would have thought the Delta would have been a zoo this past weekend. What spot did you go to? I usually go out of Orwood and make the left turn opposite direction of Discovery Bay. Most people don't go that way because of the low bridge. I do this when the tide is down from high tide so I don't have to lower the tower.

you could of had a MC
09-05-2012, 12:57 PM
It was a great holiday here in in the NW "South East Washington State" Strawberry Island about 2 miles from the mouth of the Snake River, where it dumps into the Mighty Columbia.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=71&pictureid=4514

mikeg205
09-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Well as usual I gave the holiday weekend up to the masses of boaters. Stayed home, got some work done on the bathroom I'm remodeling. Next weekend we have campground reservations at my favorite spot and expect to put some unabated hours on the engine while wakeboarding. :)

I tend to put quite a bit of hours on the boat in September and October in past years and plan to repeat again this year. :cool:

I am with you!!!:D

CCAnderson
09-06-2012, 09:39 AM
I'm sure you guys have heard it from me before but I love the Mississippi river. All are welcome just don't tell the Walley's. Sunday and Monday we footed the main channel on a mirror. The water level was down, maybe 2 inches from flat pool and the possibility of hitting a wing dam really scares away those who don't know how to read a river map. We try to ski from 8-1 and have no issues with other boats.

mikeg205
09-06-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm sure you guys have heard it from me before but I love the Mississippi river. All are welcome just don't tell the Walley's. Sunday and Monday we footed the main channel on a mirror. The water level was down, maybe 2 inches from flat pool and the possibility of hitting a wing dam really scares away those who don't know how to read a river map. We try to ski from 8-1 and have no issues with other boats.

I have friends who can't read a map either of the illinois river and have given up many props due speeding thru shallow water outside the main channel. Warm water and lot's of floating weed up here and river startin' to look like back water... your water looks nice...