PDA

View Full Version : Advise on a pylon extension

Bluccous
08-31-2012, 08:05 PM
We are thinking of getting a fly high or some type of pylon extension for our 85 S&S. We mainly slalom and the kids tube and knee board. We only want one so we can get the rope over the back seat because we usually have a full boat when we go and hate having to make people wait on the bank. We wanted thoughts to see if anyone has ever shortened a pole to a height where the rope will miss the passengers heads but not be so tall.

Oneday
08-31-2012, 09:02 PM
i have the same boat. i have a pylon extention. they r great. i dont know the sizes but i think they come in a few sizes. watch pulling tube off the top of them. i dont know how much it could take. i pull tubes from the bottom. hope this helps.

oneday

kevkan
08-31-2012, 09:16 PM
I used to have an '85 S&S, and when my kids all got into wakeboarding I bought a Fly High X pole. It was awesome, because the back seat did become useable. But not for the purposes you suggest.

You do not want to pull slalom or tubes from the high point. Just wakeboarding from it tended to loosen the pylon.

I thought of, but never did, installing a transom ski eye. I think this would be a better option if you don't wakeboard. http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/S-D-371644-1/Transom+Mount+Ski+Tow+Eye,+Stainless+Steel.html?ut m_source=feed&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google&gdftrk=gdfV22933_a_7c742_a_7c4604_a_7cS_d_D_d_3716 44_d_1&gclid=CMef8JqLk7ICFSdvTAod7nsAWw

clrussell
08-31-2012, 10:14 PM
I custom built mine, I used 2.5" Id heavy wall pipe and welded a trailer ball up top for a rope mount, welded an ilet ring on the front for a support strap.. Mine is over 6 ft tall but works great for skiing and wakeboarding/ knee boarding.. I would think 4-5ft tall one would work for what your wanting, definitely support it to the bow, and if you go to tall with slolam you will fell the pull on the boat, kinda like it's gonna turn over.. I'm 5-10 180 and on a wakeboard I can make a fully loaded prostar 190 list when I'm cutting out to the sides.. Just depends on how extreme you get on slolam.. If you can't build it your self check with a local welding shop.. I'll try to get a couple pictures of mine all mounted up in the boat tomorrow for ya to give you an idea

Sent from the pay phone down the street via tapatalk

tex
08-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Put the people you don't like in the back of the boat. Your issues will be over by the end of summer!

orbeamlb
09-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Fly High Aluminum X-Pole here. We only knee and Wakeboard from the top. It has a ski tow at normal pylon height. I use a harness from the stern lift rings for pulling tubes. The Fly High is very solid when the cables are properly tensioned. Easy up/easy down install/removal.

madcityskier
09-01-2012, 06:32 PM
I wouldn't consider using the extended pylon for slalom with anyone who is going to give a solid cut. If they're just getting up and maybe crossing the wake it should be no problem. I wouldn't even consider pulling a tube from one. Kneeboard should be no issue, and obviously they are mad for the wakeboards, though when there's an adult back there they can certainly cause us to list from port to starboard substantially. Might consider pulling the fuel tank over the winter and installing a tow eye with a bit of reinfocement on the inside of the hull to keep it from damaging your transom. Demolition man did an amazing restoration that had one. That thread is still here somewhere. Give me a second, wait for it,

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38619

There it is.

Bluccous
09-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the responses! My husband could build one, he is excellent at fabricating. Just wondering tho if the fly high poles are the same diameter for the length of the pole? He was thinking of buying one and cutting it off to the height we need so we don't decapitate our passengers! Lol! Or we could just do as Tex suggest :-)

Bluccous
09-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Thanks mad! Will check it out! We don't wakeboard at all and our son is just now starting to knee board and hopefully will learn to ski in a year or so. He is 4 now.

madcityskier
09-01-2012, 11:48 PM
Grab the combos and take him with you. My daughter and her friends ate that up until they learned on their own. Also, any time they spend behind the boat is quality time.

Bluccous
09-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Grab the combos and take him with you. My daughter and her friends ate that up until they learned on their own. Also, any time they spend behind the boat is quality time.

Couldn't agree more!! He and our 2 yr old daughter are with us every trip! Great times :) we do need to invest in some youth skis.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-02-2012, 12:12 AM
The youth skis with the rope attached to the skis and a second ski handle for the observer to hold works really well. Takes some of the fear of falling out of their equation. Never could understand the people that fall and don't let go. Perhaps that explains the U.S. population getting taller.:rolleyes:

madcityskier
09-02-2012, 12:16 AM
I mean take them with you on your skis. Fun for everyone. Put the skis a ways apart and drag their toes. Let them "run" on the water.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-02-2012, 12:22 AM
I follow, just meant when they are ready, the right youth skis make it a lot easier for them.

Bluccous
09-02-2012, 09:59 AM
I mean take them with you on your skis. Fun for everyone. Put the skis a ways apart and drag their toes. Let them "run" on the water.

I gotcha, Lol! Thanks for the input on youth skis, mr. The input on team talk is great!

Traxx822
09-02-2012, 10:17 AM
I wouldn't consider using the extended pylon for slalom with anyone who is going to give a solid cut. If they're just getting up and maybe crossing the wake it should be no problem. I wouldn't even consider pulling a tube from one. Kneeboard should be no issue, and obviously they are mad for the wakeboards, though when there's an adult back there they can certainly cause us to list from port to starboard substantially. Might consider pulling the fuel tank over the winter and installing a tow eye with a bit of reinfocement on the inside of the hull to keep it from damaging your transom. Demolition man did an amazing restoration that had one. That thread is still here somewhere. Give me a second, wait for it,

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38619

There it is.

Wow what a build. Looks great thanks for bringing this up. Was nice to see

orbeamlb
09-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the responses! My husband could build one, he is excellent at fabricating. Just wondering tho if the fly high poles are the same diameter for the length of the pole? He was thinking of buying one and cutting it off to the height we need so we don't decapitate our passengers! Lol! Or we could just do as Tex suggest :-)

Checked my Fly High X-Pole and the diameter is the same for the entire length. There is a nylon sleeve inside the bottom 1/3 of it to protect your factory pylon from scratching.

Bluccous
09-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Checked my Fly High X-Pole and the diameter is the same for the entire length. There is a nylon sleeve inside the bottom 1/3 of it to protect your factory pylon from scratching.

Thanks for the info!