PDA

View Full Version : water in gas

Voodoo
08-31-2012, 04:46 PM
Gents --

Anyone ever find water in your fuel tank? If so, do you have any idea how it got there? I have water in my fuel tank and do not know where it came from.

Thanks,
Voodoo

jgraham37128
08-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Water is always on the bottom of the tank. Gasoline is lighter than water, so if you can drain some from the bottom of the tank this will eliminate it. If not I think you can pour an adaptive like HEET in it too.

Miss Rita
08-31-2012, 07:34 PM
Anyone ever find water in your fuel tank? If so, do you have any idea how it got there?

Sources: 1) rain could have run into the gas filler 2) condensation 3) water may have run into the vent line 4) bad gas - gasahol will adsorb water from the air 5) saboteurs

Cloaked
08-31-2012, 07:59 PM
Water is always on the bottom of the tank. ,,,,,,,,
I cannot remember the last time I had issues with water in my fuel... probably prior to 1983 when aluminum fuel cells were done away and condensation became a miniscule risk to the fuel.

Cloaked
08-31-2012, 08:05 PM
Gents --

Anyone ever find water in your fuel tank? If so, do you have any idea how it got there? I have water in my fuel tank and do not know where it came from.

Thanks,
VoodooMy guess is from a fuel station with a low level of the fuel storage tank. Pour a pint of isopropyl alcohol in there and run it to near empty. Next fill, add another pint. Done deal.

Voodoo
08-31-2012, 09:03 PM
Sources: 1) rain could have run into the gas filler 2) condensation 3) water may have run into the vent line 4) bad gas - gasahol will adsorb water from the air 5) saboteurs

Thanks Guys for the replies -- it seems as though I have quite a bit. Upon pulling a 16 oz sample at fuel line feeding carb I have about 6 oz of water. That's a sh1tpot of water.

#1 -- gas cap looks like a pretty good seal
#2 -- I have no clue how much water can collect from condensation in 14 days
#3 -- it almost seems that you'd have to point a hose at the vent
#4 -- low fuel level at gas station as mentioned in another post
#5 -- there has been some tomfoolery in this neighborhood from time to time

I am leaning towards #4 and #5

Anyway, thanks again for your thoughts. I'll tear into her tomorrow.

Cheers,
Voodoo

mikeg205
08-31-2012, 10:13 PM
how much is in there?

Voodoo
08-31-2012, 10:35 PM
Unknown. There is approx 10 gal of liquid in tank. The best I can do is take samples in gatorade bottles using the fuel pump -- so far each sample is 20-30% water. I'll be removing the tank tomorrow searching for clues and tossing the gas.

Voodoo

mikeg205
09-01-2012, 08:41 AM
20-30% is a lot. do you get gas at the same place all the time?

JimN
09-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Gents --

Thanks,
Voodoo

If you don't have a lot of ballast in the boat and it didn't get sucked in through the fuel tank vent, either the tank is leaking, the fuel pump was replaced without making sure the gasket is in correctly/the bolts aren't evenly tightened/something is keeping it from sealing or someone put it in the tank. If it ran well the last time out, the leaking or vandalism are the most likely.

You shouldn't need to remove the tank and I wouldn't recommend using the fuel pump to remove the gas/water- go to a parts store and buy a volume-type electric fuel pump- they're not terribly expensive and it will be a lot faster than a pressure-type pump. Buy enough fuel line and clamps to allow pumping it into containers on the ground and some wire with either alligator clips or ring terminals, so you can connect it directly to the battery. Put a fuse inline with the positive wire. You'll need to replace the gas filter, anyway, so this is the easy way to get into the tank without having to remove the whole thing.

NOTE- if you have gas in the bilge and didn't have enough rain to fill the tank to overflowing, make sure the hoses are tight and not leaking. In this case, it may not be a bad idea to remove the tank but if no gas is in the bilge, I would skip this.