PDA

View Full Version : Acme Prop comparison

RobertT
09-02-2005, 11:34 AM
I just received a 20" x 20" box from Acme, with three brand spanking new 3 blade CNC props.

I have..

901 13.0 x 11.5
843 13.0 x 12.0
979 12.5 x 12.625

Yeee hawww.

I plan on spending some time this weekend doing a comparison between these three props and the stock OJ 4 blade that came on my 197/X7.

I plan on using the attached form to record the results, when it comes to overall feel I will just use a 1-10 rating system. They might all feel exactly the same, but if not I wanted a place to record it.

I plan on pulling wakeboarders (and probably tubes this weekend considering the holiday), and will also let my neighbor barefoot behind it who is part of a team barefoot race team.

Should be interesting. Acme service rocks, I cant believe they are letting me pick my favorite out of 3 props!

Anything I am missing guys and gals??? Anything else I should be aware of or check (besides the obvious of repeating conditions as much as possible)?

Anyone care to bet on which one I will like the most?

Footin
09-02-2005, 11:49 AM
I'm bettin on the 843 as the overall best.

G-man
09-02-2005, 12:48 PM
I had the 901 on my 93 190. I picked it for better holeshot in short setup slalom courses. It also put wot rpms at 4600 on a digital tach, the factory spec for a 285HO.

André
09-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Did ACME change their props # ?
My 3 blades prop 13 x 12 is a 541 !!!

JDK
09-02-2005, 01:13 PM

Stock 4 blade for everything except the barefooting.

Footin
09-02-2005, 01:23 PM
Did ACME change their props # ?
My 3 blades prop 13 x 12 is a 541 !!!

I think the 843 refers to the splined shaft on the newer boats.

Ric
09-02-2005, 01:41 PM
anxiously awaiting your findings RobertT because I have nothing to compare my oj cnc to. I like the OJ so far but don't find it to be vibration free. I would like to know if the acme is that much better

east tx skier
09-02-2005, 02:51 PM
If you do a search for Prop Test, you'll find the write up I did for acme v. oj. Might give you some other ideas concerning criteria. Have fun.

RobertT
09-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Eastie....I did read yours with much interest. Thanks for doing that.

Time to take them home and start the process!

RobertT
09-02-2005, 09:32 PM
The first round of test are done. There is a difference, but it was the opposite of what I thought.

Results were very strange!

I am too tired to type everything now, but I can say that there was not NEAR as big of a difference between the three props as I thought there would be. Two had the exact same WOT, the other just 200 different. Speeds at 2000 and 3000 rpm were similar within 1mph. Top speed on two was essentially the same, one gave another 2mph over what my boat had ever been up to at least.

One seemed to feel right, but I wouldn't have known that without having 4 props on my boat within 1 hour.

I am starving...more later.

Mag_Red
09-02-2005, 09:44 PM
Sounds like you need a beer too :D Can't wait to hear your results. Which engine do you have??? The LQ-9?? ]edit] Just saw you have the MCX :worthy:

RobertT
09-03-2005, 10:12 AM
Mag, today I have to reverse the test order. You see, I drank 3 beers per prop, but had a sober person recording the results.

Anyway, with the water being crap and having over 50 guests today, I will see how she handles with a load.

End result...I think...is that the 853 is going to be the best. I don't understand why the larger/higher pitch props didn't increase my top end.

The lower pitch prop increased holeshot substantially yet also added 2mph or more to the topend.

Also, I found that the amount of "pull" on the wheel varied dramatically between props. I have found that while all props on the boat pull the wheel slightly to the right while at full throttle, half of them continued to pull once at WOT while the other two were so stable I could take my hand off the wheel for 1/8 mile or so.

I generally acted like an idiot in the middle of the lake trying to get all of them to cavitate while doing power turns, the higher pitch props tended to slip very slightly while the lower pitch props did not.

We had two big adults and two kids in the boat, about 700lbs. Also my X7 has a tower with speakers, extra amps, extra subs, bimini that stays up, etc.

Strip it down and I could see another MPH or two on the topend, but thats irrelevant to me.

I have two questions for you guys.

1. My speedometer is dialed in perfectly at 22mph (the center of where we typically ride), yet it bottoms out at 45mph. At 45mph on the speedo, the perfect pass digital display reads what I recorded as our "real" top speed which was one or two mph less. Perfect Pass was also calibrated at 22mph with a GPS. Point is that both systems read perfect speeds at 22mph, but start to spread alot at high speeds. Which one is more prone to being inaccurate at high speeds?

While its true that at high speeds I might be a little off, the differential is what counts in my opinion.

My guess is that the 853 (or whichever it is) will be the top performer. Its my understanding that its the splined version of the 541.

rt

6ballsisall
09-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Just put a 541 on my boat last night! Can't wait to get on the water. If it perfoms anything like a 541 did on my 86' I will be a very happy camper!! :cool:

jpattigr
09-03-2005, 12:18 PM
RobertT

I have the same hull as you but in the PT 197 version, I also had PP and Speedo the same at all skiing speeds but the speedo read higher on the top end.
I checked both against my GPS and the Speedo was correct on top end! The PP is not calibarted for these higher speeds and I guess it loses it accuracy.
I also have an ACME prop on mine but with the powerslot / LQ9 setup it runs the 13.5 x 17.5, in comparision to the stock Stainless OJ 14 x 18 it is a little smoother but not much else.
I had a 14 x 20 prop and when I dropped to the 18 / 17.5 pitch I also gained 2-3 MPH on the top end and the holeshot was night and day!!

Have Fun, Play Safe!!

6ballsisall
09-03-2005, 01:13 PM
Just got back from the lake and I LOVE the ACME 541 on this boat. NIGHT AND DAY difference in the pull up power and smoothness. Slight change to the wake at slalom speeds and the boat is much quieter. Definetely a worthwhile investment for anyone thinking of getting a new prop

RobertT
09-04-2005, 03:25 PM
Well, I had about 8 people on the boat pulling a tube around like an idiot yesterday, any other water sport was an exercise in futility.

I think the 843 really shined with a load. The difference between stock and the 843 without a load was very noticeable yet not night and day. With a load, WOW! From 5mph to 25mph the power was insane.

The only thing I didnt like was that with a few thousand pounds in the boat and a 3 man tube the WOT was only 4550rpm.

I would guess, realistically, there is a 5% performance increase with this prop.

I am going to try them all again, to be as accurate as possible. Also, I am going to use a GPS on the next trip to double check the PP speedo.

Any thoughts on the lower RPM at a high load?

Andyg
09-05-2005, 10:16 AM
That is the same problem I had when I tried the 843 on 2003 PS 197 with the MCX. The hole shot was there the top end was about 1 mph faster for me, but my WOT rpms were around 4500. That tells me I was lugging the engine which in my opinion is not good for the motor. I am currently running my original OJ 4 blade legend. It looses me about 1 mph on the top end but performs just as well in all other areas as the 843 did. I have tried about 6 different props for my boat between OJ and ACME. I wouldn't have picked any of them over the OJ 4 Blade legend that came with the boat though. Each prop gave me a specifc area of performance. I also have a dog of an engine in my boat. I think I got the boat that is on the bottom of the HP curve. My top end is 42-43 MPH, verified by GPS. So it probably has a harder time turning the bigger pitch props.

crdickey
09-07-2005, 01:22 AM
Bill Weeks @ ACME did the same thing for me and I picked the 979 12.5 x 12.625 for my needs. Slalom is my only concern and the wake was much softer and lower than with the stock OJ 13 x 14 Legend.

My boat is a 2003 PS-197 with the TBI Preditor motor.

Eric at OJ has offer their 3 blade CNC XPM and said

"Chuck,

I would suggest our 13 X 12 LC XMP 3-blade, $394.00, for your boat. This
propeller should be the best overall performer for your application. If you have
any other questions please let me know.

We have always offered a money back guarantee with our propellers. The new
CNC machined 3-blade design has improved the low end acceleration without
losing the top speed over the 4-blades. The larger blade area of the 3-blade has
helped with this. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thank you,
Eric Johnson
Johnson Propeller
800-359-9730 "

I just received a 20" x 20" box from Acme, with three brand spanking new 3 blade CNC props.

I have..

901 13.0 x 11.5
843 13.0 x 12.0
979 12.5 x 12.625

Yeee hawww.

I plan on spending some time this weekend doing a comparison between these three props and the stock OJ 4 blade that came on my 197/X7.

I plan on using the attached form to record the results, when it comes to overall feel I will just use a 1-10 rating system. They might all feel exactly the same, but if not I wanted a place to record it.

I plan on pulling wakeboarders (and probably tubes this weekend considering the holiday), and will also let my neighbor barefoot behind it who is part of a team barefoot race team.

Should be interesting. Acme service rocks, I cant believe they are letting me pick my favorite out of 3 props!

Anything I am missing guys and gals??? Anything else I should be aware of or check (besides the obvious of repeating conditions as much as possible)?