PDA

View Full Version : Tired of the splash...

kevkan
08-30-2012, 07:49 PM
I've got an X-1 with the removable teak platform. There is about a 3/8 - 1/2" gap between the platform and transom. The trouble is, when waves or wakes hit the back of the boat, water shoots up through this gap and usually lands in the boat.

I've thought about staggering the boards in the platform to create some gaps, or trying to seal the gap between transome and platform. Anyone else have this issue and/or fixed it?

snork
08-30-2012, 09:03 PM
some have put a deflector couple inches above the platform to divert the water away
look in the archives a few years back

JRW160
08-31-2012, 12:10 AM
I've been thinking about fixing this problem over the winter. I'd love to know how other have dealt with it.

scott023
08-31-2012, 01:20 AM
Have you considered a transom saver? I has certainly cleaned up the spray from exhaust on my boat...

JRW160
08-31-2012, 01:43 AM
I think of a transom saver as the raised step on a teak platform that keeps boards from hitting the transom. Apparently, you are talking about something else

Redstorm
08-31-2012, 01:54 AM
I have the 205v and don't have this problem. My platform sits right at the water level and rattles constantly. I have the wooden transom saver (raised step). I have seen on some x1's and 205v's with their platform mounted higher up on the transom. Where is yours mounted?

swatguy
08-31-2012, 07:37 AM
I usually just fill the rear bags so it sits in the water. I have seen guys adjust their transom saver back so there is a less of a gap between the transom and the saver. How much that helps I don't know. To also clarify the transom saver I am referring to is te raised piece of teak.

I have also seen some use a clear piece of plastic or rubber. Sits flush against transom from underneath the platform and was as screwed in. Couldn't see it at all without knowing.

scott023
08-31-2012, 09:46 AM
I think of a transom saver as the raised step on a teak platform that keeps boards from hitting the transom. Apparently, you are talking about something else

I usually just fill the rear bags so it sits in the water. I have seen guys adjust their transom saver back so there is a less of a gap between the transom and the saver. How much that helps I don't know. To also clarify the transom saver I am referring to is te raised piece of teak.
I have also seen some use a clear piece of plastic or rubber. Sits flush against transom from underneath the platform and was as screwed in. Couldn't see it at all without knowing.

Correct you are JRW. Like Swatguy said, I have pushed mine back so that it keeps the water coming up and over the back of the platform to a minimum.

kevkan
08-31-2012, 09:27 PM
Is a transom saver something that can be ordered? I would think it had to come with the boat.

ttu
08-31-2012, 09:35 PM
no the transom save is a option. on my 07 x2 it does not help what you are talking about. like swatguy said fill the rear ballast enought to keep the platform lower and it helps a lot.

HRC
09-01-2012, 12:37 AM
I've got an X-1 with the removable teak platform. There is about a 3/8 - 1/2" gap between the platform and transom. The trouble is, when waves or wakes hit the back of the boat, water shoots up through this gap and usually lands in the boat.

I've thought about staggering the boards in the platform to create some gaps, or trying to seal the gap between transome and platform. Anyone else have this issue and/or fixed it?

My 205V does the same thing, drives me nuts.

scott023
09-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Is a transom saver something that can be ordered? I would think it had to come with the boat.

You can order them from your dealer. I believe it was about $70.

etduc
09-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Why not a cheap experiment. Go to hardware store..buy 3/8" self adhesive foam rubber weather stripping. Attach to platform, try it out. $10.00 for stripping. Maybe a 1/2 hour to install. If it doesn't work, easily removed, not damage.

Redstorm
09-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Why not a cheap experiment. Go to hardware store..buy 3/8" self adhesive foam rubber weather stripping. Attach to platform, try it out. $10.00 for stripping. Maybe a 1/2 hour to install. If it doesn't work, easily removed, not damage.

Not a bad idea...you can install it just slightly bellow the platform ....out of sight

bobx1
09-01-2012, 01:39 PM
I fixed the problem with the help from another guy on this forum. Go to radio shack and get a roll of the rubber stuff that you hide extension cords in. I think it is called extension cord floor cover. Remove the platform and cut the roll to length. Screw to platform with wood screws and be sure to use a large washer. Make sure you place the screws on the inside of where the cord would go so you have rubber surrounding your screws. This worked perfect for me and never had another splash.