PDA

View Full Version : why do people hate boats?

martini
09-01-2004, 10:53 AM
Well, here we go again. I have had to deal with a neighborhood association again with my boat. While I am currently between residences in Lubbock and A-town, I have had to keep the boat at a friend's house for last 3 weeks while I secure storage in Lubbock. Well, I got a call from my friend yesterday asking me to move it because the neighborhood association sent him a nasty letter. He had no idea it was a problem and there are other homeowners on that particular street that have boats and jet skis. I understand the desire for a neighborhood to retain it's value and help those trying to sell their homes, but this neighborhood is no high scale "hood". Every home on this block looks exactly alike, and if you have been to Austin then you have seen these developments out north west. So, I have had to bring it to my current place, where boats are a definite no, no. So, in order to quell the neo-nazi neighborhood assoc. I have placed signs on the boat stating it will be removed by Thursday. I sure hope that works, because it is absolutely rediculous that this town is so sh**ty to boatowners. I just don't understand it. I mean you have the biggest POS car sitting in your driveway for 4 years and nothing is every done, but holy crap! "That's a boat in your driveway, I gonna call the neighborhood police and tell on you because your devaluing our homes with your classic, immaculately clean boat!"

I just don't get it.

Sorry for the rant, just had to do it. :mad:

Leroy
09-01-2004, 11:07 AM
Here, here! I've also been served notice in present and last home under similar conditions, short term parking at house getting ready for vacation, returning, or waiting to take to dock. I just wish they would talk to me, but they have to call the association president and make a big deal. Reminds me of when DSS satellite dishes came out in '94, now look.

Footin
09-01-2004, 11:08 AM
Something similar happened to me a few years ago. We were in the process of moving into our new house, moving van in the driveway at the time along with my Barefoot 200 still connected to my truck, and an upset niebhor came over and proceeded to explain the deed resrictions to me and that I could not keep my boat in the driveway or in the street in front of the house. I inturn pulled out my deed paperwork and they reed just that "no boats in driveways or in the street in front of your house"

So what did I do you ask, I proceeded to park my boat in the front yard and left it there for 3 weeks! I wanted to surround it with pink flamingos, but my wife said I had already made my point.

tall_ andy
09-01-2004, 11:15 AM
The amazing part is if the people that made these complaints would walk up and talk to their neighbor ( something no one does anymore) all of these "issues" would be taken care of. The association is the main reason I sold my first townhose and bought my house. (thank you Witchy woman from around the block I'm better off now) I at the time had a border collie that I would throw a ball to in the middle section of the lawn "off the leash" I was threatend umpteen times about having the dog on a leash. GOODBYE TOWNHOUSE. The stories go on and on with stuff like this.
One Idea might be to do a premptive strike and send notice to the association about the boat being there short term. By the time they get back to you with a threatening letter, the boat will be gone!

Sounds like another good thread "Rants about Homeowners Associations"

that might even beat the swimsuit thread. NOT

mitch
09-01-2004, 11:18 AM
Footin, The lawn, that's a classis :purplaugh

tph
09-01-2004, 11:36 AM
I once stayed at a waterfront community at lake Tahoe. They had a pier and boat moorings but the association rules did not allow boats or trailers on the property..go figure! I had to pay to store our trailer at a facility 5 miles away.

bonedoc
09-01-2004, 11:37 AM
yeah...love the lawn thing.

It's all about the rules...and how to bend them. Similar thing happened last year while I was making a reservation at a campground. They wouldn't take a reservation for a tent. Their reason was that teens sleep in tents, and they don't want a bunch of teens partying and making noise. Despite assurances I was far past my teens and very responsible and considerate, they would not make the reservation. So, I said fine, I would come with a tent-trailer, and she said fine, she would reserve me a spot. She didn't look overly impressed when I pulled up with my dome tent set up on top of my snowmobile trailer....but it was a "tent trailer", and we got in.

If any of you need a place to keep your boat, I have 40 acres you are welcome to. The drive might be a little long though....

bcampbe7
09-01-2004, 11:52 AM
Home associations can serve a purpose, but I'm with bonedoc! Buy land and do with it what you wish, to a certain point.

MarkP
09-01-2004, 11:54 AM
While I can understand how and why you guys are disgruntled, I cant believe you donít see the protective covenants as a good thing. I agree someone coming up to you and complaining after one day while getting ready for vacation or sneaking to the HOA with a complaint is bull****, but thatís just your azzhole neighbors.

I donít think anyone really hates boats. When I built my house I signed a copy of the covenants. Now when I am sitting on my porch I donít have to look at busses or campers or fishing boats, sail boats or commercial vehicles of any kind. Unfortunately that means I donít get to look at ski boats either. You have to draw the line somewhere.

I guess Iím lucky because just as I tolerate and understand my neighbors need to occasionally service prohibited equipment at home, they tolerate and understand my needs too.

Also you are aware the HOA is nearly powerless. All bark. The power they do have would more than likely cost more to enforce than they are willing to spend. So if you need your boat at home for a while, ignore them if you truly feel they are being unreasonable. But keep in mind you may end up sitting on your porch watching the weeds grow up through the fenders of a camper next door

jimmer2880
09-01-2004, 11:55 AM
The lawn thing is great! Especially if you could have gotten the flamingoes!

I've heard that associations really can't do anything if it ends up in the courts... But - then again - I'm not a law speakin guy.

jimmer2880
09-01-2004, 11:56 AM
My neighbors have goats - so I'm not worried :D

Glad I don't have to worry about such associations.

MarkP
09-01-2004, 12:00 PM
AAAH, What the heck. Let me throw a dancing banana at yinz too:banana:!!Air-Ya-Go!!

Thrall
09-01-2004, 12:02 PM
HOAs frickin' suck! Never owned a home in the city until our move to AZ. Too desolate anywhere else to sustain life. We've got a nicely landscaped yard, new house, keep everything picked up and we've been cited for:
Leaving the garbage can out too long. (Pickup is on Sat and if you're gone for the weekend, you get a letter in the mail)
Tree stakes visible in the back yard over the fence (6' block wall, stake to hold up the trees in the sand were 7' long exposed, had to look hard for this one)
Throwing dog poof over the back fence (BUT, it's a farm field behind the fence: They had to drive through the field to spot this one, it wasn't the farmer narking us out for fertilizing his field)
Garage door left open too long. (Cited on a Fri. Wife was out of town and I was at work. ***?)
No commercial vehicles allowed in the driveway. (It's a 3/4 ton P/U, took off the stickers, got 2 magnetic decals and told off the HOA lady.) Can't park the boat in the driveway, so that's where the Co. vehicle goes.
Grass not green enough (Summer grass was dying out and the winter rye had not takenyet.)
Probably a couple more that I can't remember.

Ok, that's my beef w/ HOAs.

MarkP
09-01-2004, 12:06 PM
Throll

Your HOA blows:noface: !! Maybe offer them a beer:friday:

bcampbe7
09-01-2004, 12:19 PM
That's a bit extreme Thrall! Do you live in an area with a high retirement population? Not harping on the retired folks, but that is all some of them have to do. Make sure you don't break their rules! My attitude toward something as ridiculous as Thrall's situation would be to ignore. Or tell them to not come into your yard or you will have to charge them with something that is really against the law like trespassing!
Neighbors should all try to get along...

jimmer2880
09-01-2004, 12:35 PM
If they say you can't throw the poop over the backyard fence - maybe it's time to start tossing it into their driveways?

I'm so glad I dont' live in your neighborhood. I'd be real real tempted to agitate a little... umm - too much?

Grass too brown? What the heck - I kill mine every summer so I don't have to mow it! Maybe if you kill only a section... like the outline of a middle-finger?

lakes Rick
09-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Home associations can serve a purpose, but I'm with bonedoc! Buy land and do with it what you wish, to a certain point.

I agree with this, but remember, what was the country can turn into "an exclusive rural area" and with all the population now, the outskirts can quickly become "downtown". I see it happen every day where I live.. TOO MANY PEOPLE....

lakes Rick
09-01-2004, 12:39 PM
HOAs frickin' suck! Never owned a home in the city until our move to AZ. Too desolate anywhere else to sustain life. We've got a nicely landscaped yard, new house, keep everything picked up and we've been cited for:
Leaving the garbage can out too long. (Pickup is on Sat and if you're gone for the weekend, you get a letter in the mail)
Tree stakes visible in the back yard over the fence (6' block wall, stake to hold up the trees in the sand were 7' long exposed, had to look hard for this one)
Throwing dog poof over the back fence (BUT, it's a farm field behind the fence: They had to drive through the field to spot this one, it wasn't the farmer narking us out for fertilizing his field)
Garage door left open too long. (Cited on a Fri. Wife was out of town and I was at work. ***?)
No commercial vehicles allowed in the driveway. (It's a 3/4 ton P/U, took off the stickers, got 2 magnetic decals and told off the HOA lady.) Can't park the boat in the driveway, so that's where the Co. vehicle goes.
Grass not green enough (Summer grass was dying out and the winter rye had not takenyet.)
Probably a couple more that I can't remember.

Ok, that's my beef w/ HOAs.

Little people who think they are "impotent" Good thing I am not king, "off to the gallows" for jerks like this.....

east tx skier
09-01-2004, 12:39 PM
Don't have a homeowners association, but do have restrictive covenants saying no boats in the driveway. With my old boat, we left it out all the time and nobody said a thing about it. I avoided gated communities with HOAs for the specific reason of not wanting to deal with them. Footin, you da man. That's the spirit, read the restriction and get creative. I do see the merit in them though since, as a homeowner, I don't want my property devalued. It's all about getting to know your neighbors, and cutting slack when they have to bend the rules for a bit. Since nobody biatched about my boat, I didn't say anything about the camper in front of my neighbor's house for 5 days last month. Give a little; get a little.

As for the power of the HOA, I think it pretty much ends with fines, but check this out. I seem to remember a year or so ago, an elderly lady in Houston got fined for a bunch of HOA violations and didn't pay them and they somehow took possession of or foreclosed on her property and sold it at auction. Read your agreement very closely. Totally not worth the legal bills and temporarily losing your house over not paying fines. You can fight 'em, but I wouldn't ignore them.

jimmer2880
09-01-2004, 12:40 PM
I agree with this, but remember, what was the country can turn into "an exclusive rural area" and with all the population now, the outskirts can quickly become "downtown". I see it happen every day where I live.. TOO MANY PEOPLE....
<Soapbox On>
You're absolutely right Rick.... We need to ship out everyone who complains through a HOA instead of confronting the problem in person. That'll get rid of all the Richard Cranium's & leave only people who actually want to get along with everyone.
<Soapbox Off>

Dan K
09-01-2004, 12:41 PM
Start throwing the poop over the side fence since they told you not to use the back fence.

MarkP
09-01-2004, 12:44 PM
Just add a doggy door to the fence so you wont have to throw poop at all:D

Footin
09-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Have the puppy poop in the peoples yards that complain.

Thrall
09-01-2004, 02:17 PM
<Soapbox On>
You're absolutely right Rick.... We need to ship out everyone who complains through a HOA instead of confronting the problem in person. That'll get rid of all the Richard Cranium's & leave only people who actually want to get along with everyone.
<Soapbox Off>

Truer words were never spoken Jimmer. HOA's do serve a purpose, I feel, but in my case it seems most of the purpose is to make needless work for the broad that runs the HOA.
Only a couple of these citations involved a fine, which I promptly didn't pay. They then got tacked onto the next HOA bill.
None of these citations were from neighbors complaining, they all get the same kind of ridiculous crap too.

martini
09-01-2004, 02:36 PM
Well, I definitely feel better now. I'm glad I'm not the only one dealing with this crap. The thing that really gets my goat, so to speak, is the fact that some chicken-sh*t decided to be a big puss and tattle on my friend instead of just asking him. I was always planning to take the boat tomorrow to Lubbock, so a couple of more days wouldn't seem unreasonable. Well apparently it was. As I have stated, this is not the first time I have had these issues, so it is no big suprise, just frustrating. Anywho, I'm just glad they didn't put one of those ridiculously bright orange stickers on it. Those things are a pain in the azz to get off. Thanks for listening.

Footin
09-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Were here for you man.......let it all out.

SD190EVO
09-01-2004, 04:03 PM
When the wife and I purchased our house about 5 years ago, this was one of the only requirements I gave to my real estate agent (at least from me, the wife had silly requirements like number of bathrooms and bedrooms etc). In addition to the boat, we have a 35' Airstream motorhome which I wanted to have at home and as an amateur radio guy, I wanted the option open to put up a 40+' HF antenna someday.

It is funny because I never really noticed but a friend of mine who recently purchased a new motorhome can't keep it at his house and he came over about a month ago and said, "nearly every house in your neighborhood has either a boat or a motorhome/trailer/rv or both parked in the driveway". :-)

MarkP
09-01-2004, 04:45 PM
sd
What town are you in??

SD190EVO
09-01-2004, 06:58 PM
Mark - I updated my profile - I am in Denver. I guess I am no longer in 'witness protection'...

MarkP
09-01-2004, 09:15 PM
SD,

Happy to see you got out of the WPP safely. :dance:

Thatís so sweet, (Denver)!! Been through that area once on the way to some of the snow ski areas. Beautiful country.:toast:

stevo137
09-01-2004, 10:09 PM
My town has a three day per month rule. I break it at least three times per season. Recently, three weeks and no complaints. I must have good neighbors or something.

jimmer2880
09-02-2004, 08:45 AM
<Soapbox on>

I think it all boils down to You're having more fun than someone else is. They dont' want everyone to know how much more fun you are having than they are, so they "bust you out".
when I was 16-18 a buddy of mine & I skied several times every week with a teacher (who was off all summer) at the private club he & our parents belonged to. There were tons of complaints because my buddy & I were there without our folks. Keep in mind - we would typically go to our parents place, grab our ski gear & head to the teacher's place. Ski, wipe his boat down, head back to our place to stow our gear & get out of there. NEVER did anything bad. Anyway - the old guy stood up for us quite often those summers. He would tell the board of directors every time that "it's just some old fart younger than me who doesn't like to see these boys having more fun than they are/ever did. If you throw them out, I'm going with them".

Freekin fuddie duddies need to get a life!

<Soapbox off>
:toast:

lakes Rick
09-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Ever been to a neighborhood that had a house that looked like it was a junk yard?? I hate these rules also, but you should know about any CCR's before building or moving there..... I have a neighbor whose house looked like it was in a tornado, been that way for over 2 years.. It degrades the whole nighbor hood...

IF you have lots of toys you need to get a place big enough to keep them....

phecksel
09-02-2004, 12:13 PM
Oh Man,

A HOT BUTTON :)

I live in a boating community. The city (1+sq miles) violated the recalled mayor for parking a boat in his yard. Guess he pissed off one too many people. It spent a bunch of time in court and city's precious few dollars. Fast forward, I move from the surrounding township to the city, planning commission is attempting to enact a new recreational vehicle parking ordinance. I managed to fight that thing for a couple of years tying it up in planning commission and city council. Almost lost, but personally paid to send a letter to each homeowner on the lake. Head of the planning commission publically stated "I own an airplane and I have to pay to park it at an airport, people have to learn if they're going play, they must pay". That riled up the lake residents significantly. Next council meeting was standing room only. It went back to the planning commission again. About a year later, it came before the city council, and we had significant attendace again. It was suggested to send it back to the planning commission again, and the mayor very correctly figured out this game could go on forever. We hammered out an acceptable agreement right there.

I lost (gave up) on the boat storage cover color.
Gained the significant point of an intermediate permanent parking approval by immediate neighbors. This was valid only for the current homeowner.
Accepted the permenant variance approval and process.
Gained a seven day waiver.
Gained the "temporary visual blockage" elimination
And several other minor points.

If this comes up in your community, make your voice heard, and get your friends and neighbors to be heard too. Nothing affects local elected officials more then dozens of angry voting citizens!

Leroy
09-02-2004, 12:55 PM
This also shows how little most of get to know our neighbors. Between being so busy and moving. It's not like when I grew up.

I think if you know each other the common sense thing of talking to each other first happens. Your neighbor will probably be over looking at the boat, talking about great it looks, etc. Same thing for when your neighbor pulls up with a Winnebago you look at it, ask where he's going etc. I'm very guilty of this. Our neighborhood has Pink FLamingo Friday's where someone puts one in their front yard and that means they are having open house party for neighborhood. But still few attend.

bsimpson
09-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Don't have a homeowners association, but do have restrictive covenants saying no boats in the driveway. With my old boat, we left it out all the time and nobody said a thing about it. I avoided gated communities with HOAs for the specific reason of not wanting to deal with them. Footin, you da man. That's the spirit, read the restriction and get creative. I do see the merit in them though since, as a homeowner, I don't want my property devalued. It's all about getting to know your neighbors, and cutting slack when they have to bend the rules for a bit. Since nobody biatched about my boat, I didn't say anything about the camper in front of my neighbor's house for 5 days last month. Give a little; get a little.

As for the power of the HOA, I think it pretty much ends with fines, but check this out. I seem to remember a year or so ago, an elderly lady in Houston got fined for a bunch of HOA violations and didn't pay them and they somehow took possession of or foreclosed on her property and sold it at auction. Read your agreement very closely. Totally not worth the legal bills and temporarily losing your house over not paying fines. You can fight 'em, but I wouldn't ignore them.

In California HOAs can seize your home but it takes a lot of legal preceedings. My best advise is to join them. I became a board member in my HOA and slowly took possession of the "facilities" board after a year of serving. After heading up and improving a few items in our complex people began to like me so I had very little difficulty in convincing them to change the CC&Rs to allow for boats in our underground garage (I live in a big city). I had to promise to enforce some limitations including a working trailer, cover, and minimum use per year to avoid "dusty" vessells. Problem now is that I want to buy a boat that won't fit into the garage. The spaces are only 21" long. Oh well, all that work for nothin. At least I'll try to spend those HOA reserves on a hot tub and recreation room.

lakes Rick
09-04-2004, 03:22 PM
Bsimpson has a good idea..

On another website I frequent, a gentleman had alot of problems with the same stuff.. He found that when he became a member of the board, ONE vote would scuttle all of the dogooders stupid LIBERAL ideas.. The one jerk ( reason he became a member) , well it turns out he had a questionable past.. The new guy did some research and found out the jerk who wanted to boss everyone was a EX NAZI and even got an article printed in the local newspaper about him...

My dad ( 75) moved into a condo on Portland OR. about 4 years ago.. Monthly fees were outrageous, nothing getting done, some women were acting president and vice president of the condo board.. Turns out they knew nothing about maintaining costs or what it took to maintain buildings and such. ( please no sexist comments here, just telling the TRUTH). My dad was voted in as president and found out the WOMEN had relatives getting consulting fees for pretty much doing NUTHIN... One called my dad after he took over and wanted to know where his $55,000 dollars was for "waterproofing" the exterior bricks... DAd told him to come on over and show him what he did... Guy never showed up.... Dad got the monthly fees reduced in half and the 155 condos have never looked so nice. I believe there is around $800,000 in the kitty at this time..... When some small things happen, dad goes over and takes care of them instead of calling a repair guy for $$$$$... Dad is still the president.....

Leroy
09-04-2004, 04:39 PM
Great stories Rick and Bsimpson, it really is about getting involved