PDA

View Full Version : Crack LT1 Block Question

Rockman
08-29-2012, 02:28 PM
I know it's the worst thing to hear that you have a cracked block but even worse when you are searching for a boat, find the year and model and learn from the seller that the block was cracked and was "fixed" but has not had any issues since...kinda makes you wonder.

1994 LT1 block was cracked due to it not being properly winterized...owner had the block welded at a shop that fixes race cars and trucks. :confused: Boat has been used for 200 hours since this was fixed I am told...

So now I am wondering if this is a deal breaker or not? :confused:

Boat is in good condition, 1994 190, 600+ hours...needs some elbow grease and it could be a really good boat...

Help me with the Pros and Cons of this...don't want to buy a new block and rebuild right off the bat here...

Thanks!

J

Lumbergh
08-29-2012, 02:32 PM
You would be buying someone elses problem.

Could really be a mess. If you are comfortable with pulling motor, replacing block and reinstalling - could be a good deal.

I would pass - lots of boats in the world.

tideengineer
08-29-2012, 02:52 PM
Amen to that.

1redTA
08-29-2012, 03:18 PM
welding cast iron is tricky but... an lt1 block is cheap

mikeg205
08-29-2012, 03:20 PM
welded the block...I would run.... unless the you want to fix and not play....

Or is it such a good deal that you could buy a rebuilt block...and use the other existing parts....I would ask Tom Raddatz at Plainfield Automotive what he thinks about cracked blocks..on Rt. 59...he drives a sweet white corvette and is great mechanic...or call Last chance auto repair...they do rebuilds...as see what their response is.

I bet if you bought it...and it ran ok...it would always be on your mind...my .02

JimN
08-29-2012, 03:23 PM
But, if the price is right, it's not a big deal, really. As long as the engine doesn't scatter and burn up if it fails, it can be rebuilt. Or, if it's the right price, you could be proactive and replace the block ASAP and freshen it up before using the boat. Not having an engine in a boat when the cleanup happens is a great thing.

tideengineer
08-29-2012, 03:25 PM
It would definitely depend on the price. It would have to be a steal. I'm like Lumberg..you would have to be able to stomach the fact that you might be changing out the block after any given run at the lake.

tideengineer
08-29-2012, 03:25 PM
dang JimN...we on same wavelength at the same time!

Rockman
08-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments, unless I put a new block in, this repair would be on my mind.

The asking price is what I wanted to pay for a second boat (have the BF200) that we can keep down here for the rivers...alot to think about at this point.

How much would I be looking at for a new block? $3k?

pram
08-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Hey Rockman

Unless the price is good enough to justify replacing the block, I wouldn't deal with it.

How much you want to spend? I know of a 93 - 190 LT1 low hours that is this color scheme

that is really close to the border (5 miles inside Canada) original Nevada boat that as far as I know was never registered in Canada

and you don't export boats out of the US to bring them here either

last time I seen it it was in really good shape, my friend I don't think even used it this year

jakethebt
08-29-2012, 09:26 PM
It a block is welded right, it could be fine. If not, it could be trouble. A lake test is a must.

If you are uncertian, than you need to figure that a new block is in order. If you can do it yourself, then maybe it is not a big deal. I would imagine that an LT-1 block is pretty easy to find since they were in so many cars. You would have to remove all the marine parts and reinstall on the new block.

That being said, it would have to be a special boat (think 93 stars and stripes with an LT1) or the deal better be so good... otherwise walk. Not worth the risk.

Redstorm
08-30-2012, 02:02 AM
What's the $$ amount that makes it a good deal?

If your best friend asked u for your advice on purchasing a boat with a "cracked block" that has been repaired.....what advice would u give em?

"When in doubt throw it out":o

jakethebt
08-30-2012, 09:33 PM
What's the $$ amount that makes it a good deal?

If your best friend asked u for your advice on purchasing a boat with a "cracked block" that has been repaired.....what advice would u give em?

"When in doubt throw it out":o

Pics would be required for people to help determine what is a good deal.