PDA

View Full Version : Time For A New Trailer!

trickskier
08-28-2012, 07:39 PM
So I was backing my boat into the drive way when I heard a POP! This is what I found!

New Trailer will not have same issues --- :D

byronic
08-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Yikes! Gotta love that salt water.

mikeg205
08-28-2012, 07:54 PM
nice trailer...no boat buddy? ;)

trickskier
08-28-2012, 07:57 PM

Launched in brackish water - St. Johns River - Less than a dozen times in six years. Trailer frame rails flushed with a garden hose until water flowed out rear of frame evertime. Then taken to fresh water lake the next day and completely submurged frame rails.

Boat & Trailer garage kept since day one!

trickskier
08-28-2012, 07:58 PM
nice trailer...no boat buddy? ;)

Haven't had time to install it yet.

trickskier
08-28-2012, 08:40 PM
X-1 fits perfect on new trailer!

toolz
08-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Looks like it's been time for a new trailer for quite a while... That new one is sure a beauty! If you don't mind, what did it cost ya?

trickskier
08-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Looks like it's been time for a new trailer for quite a while... That new one is sure a beauty! If you don't mind, what did it cost ya?

PM at ya!

D3skier
08-28-2012, 10:00 PM
very nice trick looks good

MC209
08-28-2012, 10:04 PM
nice rig!

TxsRiverRat
08-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Same issue with the Brazos here in north Texas - brackish... My GFs trailer tongue snapped like a twig on the ramp last year... We got it patch welded and put away - and i refused to go skiing on her boat until she bought a new trailer because I knew the next weakest spot was going to break. When we swapped the old for the new trailer, I saw that next weakest spot - we got lucky I pulled the plug on not going out there.

milkmania
08-29-2012, 11:25 AM
tricky........whatcha gonna do with them wheels and tires???

Sodar
08-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Is it going to fit in the garage, Rick?

I remember you having to fold the tower into the engine hatch with the old trailer and this aluminum jobber makes the boat sit about a foot taller than before!

trickskier
08-29-2012, 11:54 AM
tricky........whatcha gonna do with them wheels and tires???

Milk - I used them on my new trailer to save a little $$$!

oxberger
08-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Tricky, anyway I could find out the build cost. I'm looking at the same thing with the trailer for my '85 SS Frame cracked in two places and the amount of rust is unbelievable. Boat and trailer came from MD.

trickskier
08-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Tricky, anyway I could find out the build cost. I'm looking at the same thing with the trailer for my '85 SS Frame cracked in two places and the amount of rust is unbelievable. Boat and trailer came from MD.

Contact Jim @ BAWS - 813-996-2297 tell him you saw my thread. I'm sure he'll treat you right. This trailer pulls great - I picked it up in Land O' Lakes pulled it back to Jacksonville empty and had no torsional vibration!

trickskier
08-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Is it going to fit in the garage, Rick?

I remember you having to fold the tower into the engine hatch with the old trailer and this aluminum jobber makes the boat sit about a foot taller than before!

Cameron - You have an excellent memory! The answer is that I was FINALLY able to get it into the garage. It sits about 2 inches taller on this trailer and it's about 6 inches longer.

I was originally going to put low profile tires on the trailer to lower it but found out that I did not have enough inside fender clearence. So I removed the garage door trim 2x8 (see pic) and was able to get it in - Still lowering the tower into the engine compartment. I am going to replace the 2x8 trim with a 5/4x8 and I should still have enough clearence.

The lenght is another issue - I have to have the trailer perfectly square and butt it up to the back wall.......:D

I also have to raise the hooks on the wall to hang my teak platform.

Sodar
08-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Wow! What a fiasco! It seems like the trailer builder could have just lowered the bunks to get you the extra 2 inches.

Farmer Ted
08-29-2012, 12:36 PM

Saltwater didn't crack the beam, the poor design of cutting a hole in the bottom of the beam with a blow torch so the brake line could be fished through the beam caused the crack

have the same problem on my trailer, I was lucky enough to notice the crack and get a plate welded over it before the crack migrated any further

I'm sure salt water didn't help but it didn't cause the crack

trickskier
08-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Wow! What a fiasco! It seems like the trailer builder could have just lowered the bunks to get you the extra 2 inches.

The axles are actually lower than an MC trailer. The difference is the bunks are taller.

trickskier
08-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Saltwater didn't crack the beam, the poor design of cutting a hole in the bottom of the beam with a blow torch so the brake line could be fished through the beam caused the crackhave the same problem on my trailer, I was lucky enough to notice the crack and get a plate welded over it before the crack migrated any further

BINGO!!! My 98' Trailer cracked in the same place!

Sodar
08-29-2012, 12:48 PM
The axles are actually lower than an MC trailer. The difference is the bunks are taller.

Yeah, you can see it where the bottom of the boat is about 4" off the keel roller.

I like he idea of putting your old wheels on the trailer. Keeps the look together nicely.

trickskier
08-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Yeah, you can see it where the bottom of the boat is about 4" off the keel roller.

I like the idea of putting your old wheels on the trailer. Keeps the look together nicely.

Thanks - That was my thought too --- :D

TxsRiverRat
08-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Aer seeing what salt water did to my GFs trailer, I dont think you guys can convince me it had nothing to do with the water... that trailer in this thread is rotten from the inside out... if it looked that bad on the outside, it was 100x worse inside. no offense, but i hate mastercraft boat trailers - mine included

trickskier
08-29-2012, 12:54 PM
Aer seeing what salt water did to my GFs trailer, I dont think you guys can convince me it had nothing to do with the water... that trailer in this thread is rotten from the inside out... if it looked that bad on the outside, it was 100x worse inside. no offense, but i hate mastercraft boat trailers - mine included

I find it hard to believe that brackish water (Where I launch is at least 40 miles inland) and the fact that I always flushed the frame rails caused all of the dammage. The trailer is only 6 years old.

trickskier
08-29-2012, 01:03 PM

Sorry - I didn't read your post correctly the first time. It looks like the front bunks could be lowered, but the way they have boat sitting on the rear bunks, I don't think they can be lowered 2 inches. At any rate I was able to compromise and make it fit with a little butter --- Ha Ha!!! ;)

76S&S
08-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Glad it cracked in the driveway and not going down the road! Very nice looking replacement btw.

TxsRiverRat
08-29-2012, 01:38 PM
I find it hard to believe that brackish water (Where I launch is at least 40 miles inland) and the fact that I always flushed the frame rails caused all of the dammage. The trailer is only 6 years old.

Man, where we ski at her place on the brazos, we're at least 300 miles inland. her trailer along with at least 4 other neighbors have been replaced in the last 2 years... he trailer made it 13 years but should have been like 11. everyone has either ordered galvanized or c-channel. we are rinsing off the boat and trailer after each use. didnt look like that was the case before I met her.

milkmania
08-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Milk - I used them on my new trailer to save a little $$$!

thought they looked they same.... can't blame ya:)

trickskier
08-29-2012, 02:06 PM
thought they looked they same.... can't blame ya:)

I'm going to part the trailer out. I'll post pics later.

captain planet
08-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Saltwater didn't crack the beam, the poor design of cutting a hole in the bottom of the beam with a blow torch so the brake line could be fished through the beam caused the crack

have the same problem on my trailer, I was lucky enough to notice the crack and get a plate welded over it before the crack migrated any further

I had the same problem on my original trailer. MC warrantied it and sent me a new trailer 2 years after I had my boat.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-29-2012, 04:09 PM
That new trailer looks great.:cool:

trickskier
08-29-2012, 04:58 PM
That new trailer looks great.:cool:

Thanks - It really pulls good and my boat fits perfectly on it!

trickskier
08-29-2012, 04:59 PM
I had the same problem on my original trailer. MC warrantied it and sent me a new trailer 2 years after I had my boat.

I didin't know MasterCraft would warranty operator error??? 8p:rolleyes::D

Couldn't get them to warranty the bimini too??? :confused:

thatsmrmastercraft
08-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Thanks - It really pulls good and my boat fits perfectly on it!

Now it's just a matter of dialing in the sweet spot of loading.

trickskier
08-29-2012, 05:19 PM
Now it's just a matter of dialing in the sweet spot of loading.

My daughter has it down pat - Wife is still working on it!!! :rolleyes:

Jim@BAWS
08-29-2012, 05:28 PM

My daughter has it down pat - Wife is still working on it!!! :rolleyes:

If any of you guys are looking for the same type trailer please let me know
Rick pulled his tires and rims so pricing was not inclusive of tires and rims
This came with brakes, tortion axles, swing away tongue and is a welded aluminuum trailer
TANDEM just under $5K... great trailer..single axle will be less but sits an inch higher

Jim@BAWS 813 996 2297 jim.baws@verizon.net

trickskier
08-29-2012, 05:40 PM
If any of you guys are looking for the same type trailer please let me know
Rick pulled his tires and rims so pricing was not inclusive of tires and rims
This came with brakes, tortion axles, swing away tongue and is a welded aluminuum trailer
TANDEM just under $5K... great trailer..single axle will be less but sits an inch higher

Jim@BAWS 813 996 2297 jim.baws@verizon.net

I need to give a call out to Jim as well. I did a lot of research on several different brands of trailers. Jim encouraged me to buy the Magic Tilt trailer because it was welded and they made it specifically for my hull. I'm glad he recommended the Magic Tilt trailer - You get what you pay for!

If anyone else needs a trailer you will be happy with the Magic Tilt!

Chief
08-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Trailer looks great Rick! I'll be looking for one soon because the WHOLE right side of my trailer only had openings at the ends. It held water pretty good with the trailer sitting level! Even Fresh Water Kills if it can't drain. MC Warranty?

trickskier
08-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Trailer looks great Rick! I'll be looking for one soon because the WHOLE right side of my trailer only had openings at the ends. It held water pretty good with the trailer sitting level! Even Fresh Water Kills if it can't drain. MC Warranty?

Thanks Wade - Call Jim and get it on order. I procrastinated - Trailer finally broke and I couldn't use my boat for 3 weeks!

Trust me - You're living on borrowed time!

Farmer Ted
08-30-2012, 02:56 AM
Thanks Wade - Call Jim and get it on order. I procrastinated - Trailer finally broke and I couldn't use my boat for 3 weeks!

Trust me - You're living on borrowed time!

Did your insurance cover this?

trickskier
08-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Did your insurance cover this?

Unfortunately no, they said they don't cover dammage that happens over a period of time.

BriEOD
08-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Nice thread, Rick.

When I got my 205, I borrowed a buddies 205 trailer and did a pretty significant overhaul of my trailer: bunks, carpet, sanded/grinded off rust, touch-up paint, heavy-duty rustoleum hammered paint on all of the undersides and all of the holes.

When I moved from FL to MD and onto the Severn River, I, like you, use my boat in brackish water. I was really diligent about flooding the rails of the trailer each time the trailer went into the river (what a waste of time and water!). After two seasons of this, I could see it taking a bit of a toll on my trailer, but overall it was still in good shape. Nevertheless, I ended up trading my painted steel trailer to Jim for an X-1 galvanized trailer (there is a thread on here with me chopping through ice on the river to do the swap days before Christmas). I am so glad I moved to the galvanized trailer. It is essentially maintenance free.

I like the look of your trailer, that is sharp.

Sullivan
08-30-2012, 10:35 AM
That is a good looking trailer. It looks solid.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-30-2012, 10:39 AM
I see merely rinsing the trailer is as ineffictive as expecting the car-wash to clean your chrome wheels that are exposed to road-salt in the winter in the northern states.

I suppose if you had used a giant bottle brush on the inside of the frame-rails you might have gotten by.:rolleyes:

oxberger
08-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Jim, thanks for the insight into costs. That trailer is nice.

trickskier
08-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Nice thread, Rick.

When I got my 205, I borrowed a buddies 205 trailer and did a pretty significant overhaul of my trailer: bunks, carpet, sanded/grinded off rust, touch-up paint, heavy-duty rustoleum hammered paint on all of the undersides and all of the holes.

When I moved from FL to MD and onto the Severn River, I, like you, use my boat in brackish water. I was really diligent about flooding the rails of the trailer each time the trailer went into the river (what a waste of time and water!). After two seasons of this, I could see it taking a bit of a toll on my trailer, but overall it was still in good shape. Nevertheless, I ended up trading my painted steel trailer to Jim for an X-1 galvanized trailer (there is a thread on here with me chopping through ice on the river to do the swap days before Christmas). I am so glad I moved to the galvanized trailer. It is essentially maintenance free.

I like the look of your trailer, that is sharp.

Hey Brian - How are you doing? I do remember the thread of you chopping ice to swap trailers --- You'll never have to do that in Florida :D.

I can tell you that I am extremely pleased with my new trailer and especially not having to worry about corrosion!

How's DC? Any chance of moving back to FL?

trickskier
08-30-2012, 06:48 PM
I see merely rinsing the trailer is as ineffictive as expecting the car-wash to clean your chrome wheels that are exposed to road-salt in the winter in the northern states.

I suppose if you had used a giant bottle brush on the inside of the frame-rails you might have gotten by.:rolleyes:

I had a couple of trained laboratory rats with brushes tied to their tails running through the rails as I flushed the rails with fresh water but unfortunately they drowned --- :rolleyes:

thatsmrmastercraft
08-30-2012, 10:18 PM
I had a couple of trained laboratory rats with brushes tied to their tails running through the rails as I flushed the rails with fresh water but unfortunately they drowned --- :rolleyes:

Should have used otters. Just sayin'

curtish
08-31-2012, 12:14 AM
Dang, that sucks. New trailer looks like a forever solution. Good reminder to inspect your trailer regularly.

BriEOD
08-31-2012, 12:58 AM
Hey Brian - How are you doing? I do remember the thread of you chopping ice to swap trailers --- You'll never have to do that in Florida :D.

I can tell you that I am extremely pleased with my new trailer and especially not having to worry about corrosion!

How's DC? Any chance of moving back to FL?

Hi Rick,

No, we really like it here. We are out near Annapolis on the river. It has a much different feel than living in D.C. In the winter we are less than 1.5 hours to the PA snow ski slopes, and we have everything available to us in D.C. and Baltimore. If we were to leave here, I think the only place we would seriously consider is moving back to Charleston, S.C. Neither Carla or I have any desire to be back in FL.

sully
08-31-2012, 11:54 PM
I also have to raise the hooks on the wall to hang my teak platform.

Trickskier, I have been thinking about doing the same thing, would love to see pictures of your set-up.

Jim@BAWS
09-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Hi Rick,

No, we really like it here. We are out near Annapolis on the river. It has a much different feel than living in D.C. In the winter we are less than 1.5 hours to the PA snow ski slopes, and we have everything available to us in D.C. and Baltimore. If we were to leave here, I think the only place we would seriously consider is moving back to Charleston, S.C. Neither Carla or I have any desire to be back in FL.

C'mon...does'nt matter what you want it is what we want...get your butt back down here!

trickskier
09-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Trickskier, I have been thinking about doing the same thing, would love to see pictures of your set-up.

I'll post some pics later in the week. Still tweaking the garage door opening!

scott023
09-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Looks great Rick.

trickskier
09-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Looks great Rick.

Thanks Scott!

DooSPX
09-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Nice trailer Rick!

trickskier
09-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Nice trailer Rick!

Thanks Jason - :D

trickskier
10-15-2012, 11:35 AM
R.I.P. --- Cut the old trailer up and sold it for scrap metal --- Got $69.70 for it!!!

JohnE
10-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Sure looks a lot different then the last time I saw it. I heard you'd have got a C note except the scrapper is a FS fan.

Sodar
10-15-2012, 11:42 AM
WOW!! I would have thought someone would have at least been interested in the axles, tongue or actuator.

trickskier
10-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Sure looks a lot different then the last time I saw it. I heard you'd have got a C note except the scrapper is a FS fan.

Now that's funny! :D

trickskier
10-15-2012, 11:46 AM
WOW!! I would have thought someone would have at least been interested in the axles, tongue or actuator.

The axles had so much rust on them, I was affraid to re-sell them. I couldn't get the actuator off - I beat on the bolt with a sledge hammer for 20 minutes and it wouldn't budge!

Sodar
10-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Wow! Sounds like you got just about all the life out of it you could!

trickskier
10-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Wow! Sounds like you got just about all the life out of it you could!

Should have lasted a lot longer that 6 years!!

Sodar
10-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Brackish is tough. No matter how you slice it.

I do think MC should start with galvanized tube and then paint over that. It would stop the inside of the boxed frame from rusting so quick.

JohnE
10-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Cam, did I read that you drilled the crossmembers on your trailer to let the puddles drain? I read that someone did.

Sodar
10-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Yes, I did.

JohnE
10-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Yes, I did.

Doesn't that expose the inside of the rectangular tubing to more water than it would otherwise? I was looking at mine trying to decide whether or not to do it.

Sodar
10-15-2012, 01:36 PM
My mind getting stuff wet is better then letting water pool. :idunno:

JohnE
10-15-2012, 01:39 PM

Just thinking the inside of those tubes are not painted and otherwise stay dry. I don't know either, which is why I was asking.

Sodar
10-15-2012, 01:41 PM
Just thinking the inside of those tubes are not painted and otherwise stay dry. I don't know either, which is why I was asking.

How do they stay dry? The bottom of the frame is riddled with holes that let water in. I just drilled a hole at the lowest point to let the water out!

JohnE
10-15-2012, 02:43 PM
How do they stay dry? The bottom of the frame is riddled with holes that let water in. I just drilled a hole at the lowest point to let the water out!

I don't think mine are....maybe I need to take another look. :o

CantRepeat
10-15-2012, 03:05 PM
I would think they could offer a salt water trailer. I know a lot of the custom trailers made for the bigger boats have an air valve on them. Before you launch you pump them up to like 10 lbs of pressure. The over pressure keeps the water from getting inside the trailer tubes.

trickskier
10-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Brackish is tough. No matter how you slice it.

I do think MC should start with galvanized tube and then paint over that. It would stop the inside of the boxed frame from rusting so quick.

Well I won't have that issue with my new trailer - Everything is either aluminum, galvanized, or stainless steel! Pulls a lot better than my old MC trailer too!!!

Ski-me
10-15-2012, 04:18 PM

I did the same thing on my trailer too. drilled holes in the bottom sections at the lowest point. All kinds of water/crap came out of it. I can only imagine how much water gets trapped in there for who knows how long....:rolleyes:

Tap
10-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Trickskier or Jim@BAWS,

I can't see from the pictures, but a check of the Magic tilt website did not share any option for OIL BATH HUBS.
1. Are you now using the 'Bearing Buddy' system?
2. Any thoughts?
3. Not meant to be threadjack of packed grease vs oil bath, just curious if you considered it...
4. I call Charleston, SC home. Have for the past 12 years. Unfortunately Conde Naste just named us #1 destination city in the world. Bring on the tourists!

mcparadise
10-19-2012, 03:40 AM
I did the same thing on my trailer too. drilled holes in the bottom sections at the lowest point. All kinds of water/crap came out of it. I can only imagine how much water gets trapped in there for who knows how long....:rolleyes:

After I finished needle gunning, grinding, sanding, etc...down to bare metal and then applying s solid POR-15 system and 2 beige enamel top coats (OEM MC trailer), my neighbor came by and said sure looks nice... and walked over stuck his finger into one of the holes near the breaklights and easily pulled out layers of flake rust from inside the channel. I pretty much cried....I can't believe I missed that...after all that work...new break drums, tongue/master cylinder/break lines/winch/hoist....all to save the MC brandname...

I've heard you can fill the channels with some kind of resin and that slows the cancer? Pump the stuff into tubes with holes in them stuffed into the channels.
Any experience out there for all of us PSB's? ...I think I know the answer...boats...break out another thousands and get an aluminum or galvanized I beam type trailer. Drats. I'll say dumb *** design in hindsight.

CruisinGA
10-19-2012, 07:43 AM
After I finished needle gunning, grinding, sanding, etc...down to bare metal and then applying s solid POR-15 system and 2 beige enamel top coats (OEM MC trailer), my neighbor came by and said sure looks nice... and walked over stuck his finger into one of the holes near the breaklights and easily pulled out layers of flake rust from inside the channel. I pretty much cried....I can't believe I missed that...after all that work...new break drums, tongue/master cylinder/break lines/winch/hoist....all to save the MC brandname...

I've heard you can fill the channels with some kind of resin and that slows the cancer? Pump the stuff into tubes with holes in them stuffed into the channels.
Any experience out there for all of us PSB's? ...I think I know the answer...boats...break out another thousands and get an aluminum or galvanized I beam type trailer. Drats. I'll say dumb *** design in hindsight.

You were most of the way there... use POR15 inside the frame rails. Pretty common application to apply inside of frames when restoring jeeps, trucks etc.

trickskier
10-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Trickskier or Jim@BAWS,

I can't see from the pictures, but a check of the Magic tilt website did not share any option for OIL BATH HUBS.
1. Are you now using the 'Bearing Buddy' system?
2. Any thoughts?
3. Not meant to be threadjack of packed grease vs oil bath, just curious if you considered it...
4. I call Charleston, SC home. Have for the past 12 years. Unfortunately Conde Naste just named us #1 destination city in the world. Bring on the tourists!

Tap - Magic Tilt uses Bearing Buddy's. Personally I prefer grease packed bearings vs oil bath. I was in the trucking business for 35+ years and the industry went back to grease packed bearings in trailers because it gives you a better warning that you're about to have a failure. When you lose a wheel seal with an oil bath system it's usually during a trip and you usually burn up a bearing leaving you standed on the side of the road.

mikeg205
10-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Tap - Magic Tilt uses Bearing Buddy's. Personally I prefer grease packed bearings vs oil bath. I was in the trucking business for 35+ years and the industry went back to grease packed bearings in trailers because it gives you a better warning that you're about to have a failure. When you lose a wheel seal with an oil bath system it's usually during a trip and you usually burn up a bearing leaving you standed on the side of the road.

Good point about the grease vs oil. amsoil has a good discussion about synthetic grease and how melting point and pressure affect protection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqvq5IHjHTg

AZDave
10-23-2012, 09:10 PM
That area is the weak link of the design. My 93 trailer turned to red powder after only 100 hours in brackish water. <50 trips. I wasted hours flushing it. A lousy design. Looks great, very solid if fresh water only, but no way to stop rust if contaminated by brackish water/salt water. You will have no issues with the new one.