PDA

View Full Version : VIN location

vimnjicki
08-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Hey! First time here. I'm trying to find the VIN for this trailer that was abandoned on my property so I can get it re-registered for sale. I'm not sure what year it was manufactured but the brand name is American Trailer and Manufacturing Company out of Downy, California and another number on the name plate is D9170. I'm not sure if that's the model number or what. The company is not doing business under that name and an internet search doesnt come up with any useful information. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Trailer numbers are typically printed on an adhesive tag, which after a few years, vanish. I had to register such a trailer and the MN DMV made it really simple. They had the form, I attached pictures of all sides of the trailer, and paid a few bucks and received a new title for it. Perhaps your state will work as smoothly.

homer12
08-28-2012, 04:27 PM
I had to have one engraved for mine. In Indiana trailers before 1990 weren't registered and now are. I riveted it to the tongue which is where the BMV said to put it.

BT2005PS209
08-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Try crawling under the trailer and looking on the underneath side. That's where mine was.

rholmes
08-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Sometimes they are engraved on the axle...

vimnjicki
08-29-2012, 12:18 AM
Thanks for your replies. I did do a full "crawl-under". Found nothing. I did see places where there might have been adhesive labels, you know, clean paint in a label shape. I sent off the lien search to the DMV. It might take some time. I suppose it's okay. I just would like to get it registered, cleaned up and sold. Thanks, again, for your replies.

Dylan
08-29-2012, 11:37 AM
I have been through this process in CA, and it was really simple. The DMV ended up creating a VIN for it and I was registered the same day. Good luck!

1redTA
08-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Florida gave me a new VIN to stamp on the trailer