PDA

View Full Version : I need help - Am I crazy to be thinking this?

bjames
08-28-2012, 03:34 PM
OK.. here is my dillema. We have a 2012 X25 that we had custom ordered last winter. Both my wife and I are very happy with the boat so far except for a few warranty issues still waiting for resolution (tech related issues).

Going back to last year before we even considered buying a new MC, we were looking at used (2008 - 2010) x-Stars primarilty because we were comming from a 2009 Moomba LSV and wanted a more core wakeboarding boat. At that time we had two 40th Aniversary X-Stars and a gorgeous 2010 x-star to choose from available at our dealer. Instead, we took an X25 out for a test and was happy about the performance and my wife wanted something that handled chop better than the LSV. So we purchased the X25, due to the handling, versatility, and other tech features that were all new to us both.

Now fast forward to 2012, not a day goes buy that I kind of regret NOT getting the used star. For the most part, we only use our boat for wakeboarding (95%) and somethimes we will anchor somewhere and relax, then later do some more sets. We very rarely have more than 5-6 people in the boat at any given time. This all get me thinking we would have been better off spending less on a core boat with out all the gadgets. What I actually miss about my LSV is that everything was simple (no computers/modules). Ballast was manual, PP was solid and simple and most important, the 4 point tower was solid rigid and was onyl folded down for storage - again, just a jump in and go boat.

Although I love my X25, I am not sure I am liking all the tech gadgets AND not having any real control over the ballast configurations (adding larger bags to the P&P). Also I would really prefer the 4 point tower.

I dont know why I am so hung up on this, but not a day goes by with me searching the net seeing what X-Stars are for sale.

Would I be insane to sell my X25 to get a older used X-Star (2008 40th or newer) :confused:. Part of the attraction for me thinks it would be more desireable to put the $25K or more towards our home mortgage and still having a kick-@ss boat with out potential headaches down the road.

Our current 2012 X25

2010 X-Star - Could have got a good deal on this one (pic of an exact version of the one that was on our dealer lot - brand new)

40th Aniversary (std photo)

helton333
08-28-2012, 03:50 PM
I get it. I have done that with cars - you seem to be at a place I get from time to time where I struggle to justify expenses vs. the "worth it" factor - shedding debt to get a boat that fits your needs just as well - think you're thinking right.

kalamalka
08-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Its interesting that you say that. Just this morning my friend who owns a local independant marine shop was saying that his tech has been busy all summer with new mc electrical issues. he said that most were covered by warranty seeing that his tech is mastercraft certified, but its just time off the water especially the albertans who pay big dollars to stay here. I do like the simplicity of my x1 for that reason. If you dont mind me asking, what would be the difference in $ for the stars compaired to your 25?

surfacetension
08-28-2012, 03:55 PM
If your thinking about it this hard I say go with the X Star, I've seen lots of complaints about all the high tech stuff in the new boats, I have an X2 with Gauges and I still don't like the ballast pump timers . Too high tech for me I guess. If you can sell your 25 or trade it on an X star you should do it. Like I said if your thinking about it this much then I say go

bjames
08-28-2012, 04:12 PM
If you dont mind me asking, what would be the difference in $ for the stars compaired to your 25?

Depends of course on which X-Star I go with and is available. I see a few 40th listed for around the $64K mark. I have seen 2012 X25 (no power tower) listed for $95K. So it could be anywhere from 20 - 30K difference.

For me it more of having a boat that I can service myself down the road. I would have to say my favorite X-Star has always been the 40th Aniversary - Love the look, but the only thing I would replace is the bimini. I would order a Z5 instead - like what I had on my Moomba.

cdstukey
08-28-2012, 04:12 PM
You're not crazy. Or if you are, you are certainly not alone. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish I still had a DD slalom boat in which the most advanced technology was two analog speedos.
Of course my wife wouldnt trade the new boat for anything, and we all know who wins that battle.

gid
08-28-2012, 04:45 PM
I cant wrap my mind around buying a 80k+ 'toy' and having issues.

501s
08-28-2012, 05:11 PM
The X-25 is touted as one of the best wakeboard boats going. Way more room and storage then the older X-star and a very comparable wake. And a much better surf wave. And your boat is paid off. I hear you on the electronics though. Tough call. You are not crazy. And I prefer the ZFT-4 to the 4 point towers any day. I love this tower. I never liked those gaudy speaker connectors on the exterior of the 4 point towers.

onejdgreen
08-28-2012, 05:37 PM
No offense, but I wish I had your problems...

itch2ski
08-28-2012, 05:44 PM
I wish I had your $ problems, not your boat problems...
I wish MC would take note of these things and not phase out all the "jump in and go boats" that are simple like your Moomba.

JohnE
08-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Given how you use your boat, you are crazy if you do not dump the X25. I don't care if it is paid for. Seems like the Star would serve you as good or better and put some money in your pocket. Now for someone who surfs or cruises more, it might be a different answer.

mccobmd
08-28-2012, 06:08 PM
This thread confirms to me why I haven't traded up from my 2006 X1. I want and could afford bigger but it has to have a 4 point tower with gagues. I really would like more room but my boat is simple and paid for. I think you are crazy, but it' my kind of crazy too.

19_Skier
08-28-2012, 06:14 PM
I vote sell the X25 and buy a 40th anniv. X Star, sounds like a solid fit for what you do, plus I absolutely love the 40th. Although if it were me it would be the 197 in the yard :D

Redstorm
08-28-2012, 10:58 PM
I don't think I would ever buy a used boat with all the gadgets! Once the warranty is up .....well there are way toooo many things to go wrong and I am sure the repairs would not be cheap! There was a thread not to long ago where someone could not raise the tower due to faulty actuaters and him and his family boated all weekend with the tower in the down possition. I am very happy with my MC that just has an engine, gauges and a decent stereo. Keepin it simple. Just sayin.

Every day ??.....go with your gut and get the star.

mikeg205
08-28-2012, 11:04 PM
You're not crazy. Or if you are, you are certainly not alone. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish I still had a DD slalom boat in which the most advanced technology was two analog speedos.
Of course my wife wouldnt trade the new boat for anything, and we all know who wins that battle.

If you're ever in my area...let me know...I'll take you out on my '95 with said technology... :D

Stritt
08-29-2012, 12:18 AM
I would state that you are being rational.....We started with a 96 205 moved on to a 00 205v then a 03 209 and a 03 35th.....left MC for a few years and owned a Colbalt..we are back with a 97 205.....why? For US we realized that what we needed did not justify the extra $$. That was back a few years ago, the 35th was no where near the $$$$$$ that the new boats cost today. At the end of the day it's your call, you have a beautiful boat.

Cmpdman
08-29-2012, 04:33 AM
Very good thread. I too think that they are putting in technology too quickly in these newer boats. Our '08 had the BIG guage & rest was old fashion guages. A few software updates to get it running right. There is the problem-mc sees it as a quick software update. For the owner it is a few hour drive to the dealer, wasted boating day, etc. (and I like going to the dealership). Everything else was manual & we loved it. In '11 we upgraded to an x55 with more electrical items -power tower, the new big system. And here we go again.... More software updates, tower updates... Our boat has been out of commission for 5 weeks now because of this. The boats paid for but slip rental & insurance is about $375 per month. Not to mention lost boating time! Now I see new boats with 3 screens - 3 screens that can go bad & will be outdated in the 2014 boats. Next time - I will go simple as can be - because they just work... :)

willyt
08-29-2012, 08:55 AM
haha... xstar thread...

i upgraded to an 07 star this year, for me it would come down to the wake because:
1) only 1 time i've ever though, man i wish my boat had more seating. that day i wanted to kick people off my boat for being dumbarses anyway
2) i think the star has PLENTY of storage. i've never though, oh gee.. where am i going to put this...
3) surfing... eh... surfing... yea we surf when we're too beat up to wakeboard. definitely takes a back seat to the main event
4) the 40th anniv edition boats are the sickest looking thing ever

i do wish my star had more power though... i think the LY6 or the 6.2 would have been perfect for my boat

Granite_33
08-29-2012, 09:26 AM
All of a sudden, I love my '04 X-9.
My time is limited, especially in MI, its a 4 month boating season for me tops. I can't imagine having a boat out of service for 1 or 2 weekends, let alone 5 weeks!?!?!?

I have to say, I have never had a problem with either one of my MC's. My 91 needed some shift linkage adjustments....but other than that, nothing.

Upgrade the vinyl, towers, powerplant, stereo, etc. all you want. Thats great. But trying to electronically control a boat, IMHO is (as evidenced here) just introducing more complexity into a system that really should not be that complex.

Billion dollar auto companies with millions of dollars in R&D still recall autos sighting software glitches that need to be fixed. MC's budget no doubt is much smaller.

Its cool to go for the Bling and sells well on the showroom floor. But, in the real world...........

bobx1
08-29-2012, 10:21 AM
As stated previously - not crazy but practical. Why pay $80K PLUS to be a beta test site for a software company?

FourFourty
08-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Depends of course on which X-Star I go with and is available. I see a few 40th listed for around the $64K mark. I have seen 2012 X25 (no power tower) listed for $95K. So it could be anywhere from 20 - 30K difference.

For me it more of having a boat that I can service myself down the road. I would have to say my favorite X-Star has always been the 40th Aniversary - Love the look, but the only thing I would replace is the bimini. I would order a Z5 instead - like what I had on my Moomba.

Being as your boat is now used, I cant see you getting more than $80k for it. My '12 X25 was $95k brand new..... It's crazy to think about, but I just don't see it.

I can see you pocketing 10-15k on a downgrade to a 40th Star. You would have to be very lucky to get anymore than that.....

Also, the star takes some serious ballast to put out a better wake than the X25. (And even then, some will say the 25 is still better)

I don't blame you for thinking about swapping back to a lower tech option. I feel your pain on that one. Although, I just got the latest gdig update last weekend, and my PnP finally empties and fills like it is supposed to! Not to mention, everything else seems to work a lot better.

Maybe it will work out for you. Best of luck if you do try to swap back to the 40th. That boat is :eek: :drool:

Mastercraftdave
08-29-2012, 03:10 PM
[QUOTE=FourFourty;873016] I don't blame you for thinking about swapping back to a lower tech option. I feel your pain on that one. Although, I just got the latest gdig update last weekend, and my PnP finally empties and fills like it is supposed to! Not to mention, everything else seems to work a lot better.QUOTE]

What upgrade did you get? I got a new update during the middle of the summer that helped alot however one of my bags will randomly go to 0% and then it wont emply unless i switch the drain on and off again. its a PAIN. But it only does it sometimes. I hope they getthis fixed soon.

FourFourty
08-29-2012, 03:31 PM
What upgrade did you get? I got a new update during the middle of the summer that helped alot however one of my bags will randomly go to 0% and then it wont emply unless i switch the drain on and off again. its a PAIN. But it only does it sometimes. I hope they getthis fixed soon.

According to my dealer, it is version 24 (I think). He told me that this version was just received from medallion, and that I am essentially Beta testing it for them. If it works out well for me, and the test boat that MC is running it on, it will be released to dealers in the next week or two via a programmer. They didn't have a programmer file at the time of my boat getting updated, so a new gdig with version 24 was installed instead.

Everything about this version has worked very well so far. I will have a lot more to say about it after this weekend. I will probably put 20-30 hours on this labor day weekend. I only have about 6-7 hours since this was done last saturday, but it has been stellar so far.

Mastercraftdave
08-29-2012, 03:37 PM
According to my dealer, it is version 24 (I think). He told me that this version was just received from medallion, and that I am essentially Beta testing it for them. If it works out well for me, and the test boat that MC is running it on, it will be released to dealers in the next week or two via a programmer. They didn't have a programmer file at the time of my boat getting updated, so a new gdig with version 24 was installed instead.

Everything about this version has worked very well so far. I will have a lot more to say about it after this weekend. I will probably put 20-30 hours on this labor day weekend. I only have about 6-7 hours since this was done last saturday, but it has been stellar so far.

Man your lucky for many reasons. My labor day will consit of cleaning up after hurricane Issac. Our river house is loacted in Kiln, MS which is taking the worst beating from this storm. We have 8ft of water under our house and its still rising. Hopefully there wont be to much damage. Please let me know your feedback from the test I am very interested.

FourFourty
08-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Man your lucky for many reasons. My labor day will consit of cleaning up after hurricane Issac. Our river house is loacted in Kiln, MS which is taking the worst beating from this storm. We have 8ft of water under our house and its still rising. Hopefully there wont be to much damage. Please let me know your feedback from the test I am very interested.

Sounds like my labor day last year! Hurricane Irene flooded my business, my house, and destroyed all of the roads and bridges in this area.... We definitely didnt expect that kind of damage up here in VT. 16" of rain in 8 hours will do that :eek:

I will let you know how it goes though! Good luck with the clean up!!

bjames
08-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Where there any 'isues' with the 2008 - 2010 X-Stars worth noting? I see a lot of them come with the MCX 350hp engine. Is that underpowered?

TheWoons
08-29-2012, 05:49 PM
IMO you'd be crazy to go from a 2012 X25 to any older X-Star and I had two brand new X Stars in 08 and 09. They are way smaller in the interior, less storage space, and no where near as nice as a 2012 X25. The wake board wake isn't as good as the 25 and the surf wake is absolutely terrible compared to the 25.

scott023
08-29-2012, 10:00 PM
IMO you'd be crazy to go from a 2012 X25 to any older X-Star and I had two brand new X Stars in 08 and 09. They are way smaller in the interior, less storage space, and no where near as nice as a 2012 X25. The wake board wake isn't as good as the 25 and the surf wake is absolutely terrible compared to the 25.

Beat me to the post... Couldn't agree more with your post.

GoneBoatN
08-30-2012, 01:52 AM
So if everything worked OK on your X-25, would you still be wanting the X-Star? If yes, and you have the money to blow (I'm on the side thinking you are taking a financial loss this route), go get the X-Star. If no, press the dealer and Mastercraft to get the issues resolved. If they are not able to correct the issues to work 100% as advertised, then I think you have the right to have your investment back outright and mastercraft should accept the return of the boat. Seems to me they have had enough time to resolve the issues.

Redstorm
08-30-2012, 02:35 AM
If they are not able to correct the issues to work 100% as advertised, then I think you have the right to have your investment back outright and mastercraft should accept the return of the boat. Seems to me they have had enough time to resolve the issues.

I agree! You paid a LOT of MONEY for this boat and sounds like it may be defective. Check out the "Lemon law"! If the Dealer has not repaired the same issue in a certain amount of times and/or period of time the "Lemon law" applies.

I believe MC is trying to do the right thing by manufacturing boats with cutting edge technology to stay infront of their competition. However I feel they should let the consumer have the choice to decide on this technology. They should have the option to purchase a boat with fly by wire ( gauges, manual controls) or cutting edge tech. If the customer was able to customize the boat the way they prefer, I believe it would increase sales. Please correct me if MC already offers this.
Just my 2 cents.

tommyadrian5
08-30-2012, 06:57 AM
So if everything worked OK on your X-25, would you still be wanting the X-Star? If yes, and you have the money to blow (I'm on the side thinking you are taking a financial loss this route), go get the X-Star. If no, press the dealer and Mastercraft to get the issues resolved. If they are not able to correct the issues to work 100% as advertised, then I think you have the right to have your investment back outright and mastercraft should accept the return of the boat. Seems to me they have had enough time to resolve the issues.

Unlikely,

The only true winner in this whole thing will be the person who designs and sells analog conversion kits for all the poor suckers who have this bogus system once their boat goes out of warranty. Will be another kick in the face, but then again, anyone who thought computers controlling everything on a dayboat was probably asking for it.

mikeg205
08-30-2012, 08:20 AM

Did you really use the word investment and boat in the same paragraph referring to money??? ;)

Investment in personal and family pleasure is what it is...IMO...lol.... with the season waning I would get the X25 up to 100%....unless you really prefer the X-Star. It's obvious money is not the issue....but it seems from the other posters if the X25 will give you more pleasure in your boating wants than the x-star.

MC pushing the envelope on tech gadgets in the boat...it will be cold soon by you...let the dealer store it for free while they await all the tech fixes...so they can work on it, in the off season...

Thrall
08-30-2012, 11:00 AM
The issues I see with moving "down" to an 08-10 model is you will still have the digital controls, if that's what you're trying to get rid of.
I guess not as automated as the new models, but still......
Guess if I had that X25, unless I needed the money, seems like the ultimate boat.

mybobtail
08-30-2012, 11:18 AM
I am with you I am selling X14 to get 197.as mainly ski and barefoot i liked the idea of more in boat but we only have about 5 at the max .plus if you get money back you can spend money on something else.my boats worth about 70k and my mate has a little supra with about 14k
and it does the same job.

bjames
08-30-2012, 01:04 PM
You all have very good points. Dont get me wrong, the X25 is killer and has everything I wanted in a dream boat. However maybe there is too much. There are 2 things that attract me to an older x-star. One being, simplified systems (no touch screen, automation is minimal, no power tower), The other issue is I am really worried about how long these tech features are going to last (primarily BIG & P-Tower). Then of course other which comes as a bonus is having some extra cash to put on our mortgage. We are not strapped for money by no means, but my wife is an accountant and loves thinking of ways to maximize our financial situation. having 20K to put onto a mortgage sounds exciting comnpared to having it tied up on a boat that may start to experience expensive issues with the electronics.

About 3 years ago I had a fully loaded Lincoln Navigator. As soon as the warranty was up I traded if for a Ford F150. All the facny bells and wistled were litterally breaking down one by one whilst it was still under warranty. The Ford has not seen a single warranty claim and has been rock solid.

I gess I am comparing my X25 to my Lincoln and the F150 to an older X-star. Thats where Im comming from.

BTW... My wife would rather keep the X25 from a "do it all family boat" but Im trying to think what is best looking forward.

Nick911
08-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Bryan, I guarantee if you trade down to an older star in 1-2 years you'll get the itch for a new boat again...

bjames
08-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Bryan, I guarantee if you trade down to an older star in 1-2 years you'll get the itch for a new boat again...

Like a new X-Star?? To be honest, I would be sold if MC would produce the new x-star with all analog guages, descrete PP or Zero off (separate from all other systems), stereo remote at helm, manual ballast system (programmable timers) and manual tower (2 or 4 point).

I was all pumped about the electronic gadgets at first, but now Im scared. Hell, to lower my tower I have to hit the switch at least 4 times. the tower lowers about 1 foot at a time, and sometimes it goes down an inch then stops, then I have to cycle the ignition key and try again - it been very unpredictable. I love the fact the boat cover covers the tower, but Im getting kind of tired lowering the tower, inserting braces everytime we travel.

I truely miss the simpleness of my 2009 Moomba LSV.

Redstorm
08-30-2012, 02:00 PM
You all have very good points. Dont get me wrong, the X25 is killer and has everything I wanted in a dream boat. However maybe there is too much. There are 2 things that attract me to an older x-star. One being, simplified systems (no touch screen, automation is minimal, no power tower), The other issue is I am really worried about how long these tech features are going to last (primarily BIG & P-Tower). Then of course other which comes as a bonus is having some extra cash to put on our mortgage. We are not strapped for money by no means, but my wife is an accountant and loves thinking of ways to maximize our financial situation. having 20K to put onto a mortgage sounds exciting comnpared to having it tied up on a boat that may start to experience expensive issues with the electronics.

This is realy tuggin on you.
There are people who want a "boat n go boat" and others who want a "techno boat".
Sounds like your a boat n go! They are both beautiful boats!
This most likely will effect the resale later on. Continued updates and maybe soon, charching for the updates. I don't know...but I am sure MC is workin on something. Your not the only one with these concerns/problems. I wish you luck! You also need to make the wife happy or boating will be unpleasant. You need a boating counselor.:D:D

tommyadrian5
08-30-2012, 03:10 PM
This is realy tuggin on you.
There are people who want a "boat n go boat" and others who want a "techno boat".
Sounds like your a boat n go! They are both beautiful boats!
This most likely will effect the resale later on. Continued updates and maybe soon, charching for the updates. I don't know...but I am sure MC is workin on something. Your not the only one with these concerns/problems. I wish you luck! You also need to make the wife happy or boating will be unpleasant. You need a boating counselor.:D:D

I'd say it is gonna hit the resale now, any moderately educated consumer is gonna know that these systems are toxic...

bjames
08-30-2012, 03:18 PM
I'd say it is gonna hit the resale now, any moderately educated consumer is gonna know that these systems are toxic...

If the system componants (BIG Screen, Modules ect) were more like computer parts that share a common standard, then i wouldnt be so worried as down the road you could easily find the touch screen from a few different mfgs that all fit into the same form factor and share the same connections - like plugging in a GFX card into a computer. But I assume all these systems are 100% proprietary to MC.

bjames
08-31-2012, 11:58 AM
Last night I discussed this with my wife. I was surprised to hear that she would rather hang on to our X25 (despite the risks of tech problems) instead of downgrading to an older boat with money in the bank - I guess it confirms her attachement to the boat. So I guess in order to keep her happy, I need to keep the X25, unless we can find the 'perfect' x-star and make at least $30K (but thats probably not going to happen). However this still does not settle my concern for general reliability for tech rich features. We may consider purchasing the extended warranty early next year, however I am not too crazy in having to spend another $2-3K just for peice of mind.

scott023
08-31-2012, 12:12 PM
Last night I discussed this with my wife. I was surprised to hear that she would rather hang on to our X25 (despite the risks of tech problems) instead of downgrading to an older boat with money in the bank - I guess it confirms her attachement to the boat. So I guess in order to keep her happy, I need to keep the X25, unless we can find the 'perfect' x-star and make at least $30K (but thats probably not going to happen). However this still does not settle my concern for general reliability for tech rich features. We may consider purchasing the extended warranty early next year, however I am not too crazy in having to spend another $2-3K just for peice of mind.

I agree, not going to happen. A 'perfect' Star is going to run you a pretty penny, especially a 40th...

bjames
08-31-2012, 12:28 PM
I agree, not going to happen. A 'perfect' Star is going to run you a pretty penny, especially a 40th...

Yeah, all the 40th stars I saw for sale were listed between $64k and $69K (including the 2 that were available last year at MMS).

I do Love our X25 (options, color inside & out and trailer) it was ordered with everything we wanted, its just getting my head around the paranoia of things crapping out.:rolleyes:

scott023
08-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Yeah, all the 40th stars I saw for sale were listed between $64k and $69K (including the 2 that were available last year at MMS).

I do Love our X25 (options, color inside & out and trailer) it was ordered with everything we wanted, its just getting my head around the paranoia of things crapping out.:rolleyes:

That's certainly understandable...

XStar08
08-31-2012, 03:02 PM
you should get the XStar and pay back some of your loan. You should never be tied to a bank.

My 2 cents,

XStar08

Redstorm
08-31-2012, 05:17 PM
:Last night I discussed this with my wife. I was surprised to hear that she would rather hang on to our X25 (despite the risks of tech problems) instead of downgrading to an older boat with money in the bank - I guess it confirms her attachement to the boat. So I guess in order to keep her happy, I need to keep the X25, unless we can find the 'perfect' x-star and make at least $30K (but thats probably not going to happen). However this still does not settle my concern for general reliability for tech rich features. We may consider purchasing the extended warranty early next year, however I am not too crazy in having to spend another $2-3K just for peice of mind.

Hey....the X-25 is a beautiful boat! Mastercraft builds top notch boats. I am sure they are workingt on the glitches as it is their reputation as well. I really don't think it would be a bad idea to get the extended warranty. I would! Check with MC to see if there is a way to override the computer just in case of an emergency. If not I am sure you can install a manual switch for the tower and the tanks. keep us updated as time goes on! This is an interesting thread. Good luck and many adventures to ya!:toast:

Nick911
08-31-2012, 07:46 PM
:

Hey....the X-25 is a beautiful boat! Mastercraft builds top notch boats. I am sure they are workingt on the glitches as it is their reputation as well. I really don't think it would be a bad idea to get the extended warranty. I would! Check with MC to see if there is a way to override the computer just in case of an emergency. If not I am sure you can install a manual switch for the tower and the tanks. keep us updated as time goes on! This is an interesting thread. Good luck and many adventures to ya!:toast:

I purchased MMS's extended warranty, bow to stern for 6 years. What I really liked was that they warranty states "video display screen" and all ballasts systems components. I'll keep this boat 3-4 years then sell it while still under warranty. Peace of mind I guess.

GoneBoatN
08-31-2012, 08:32 PM
... discussed this with my wife. I was surprised to hear that she would rather hang on to our X25 ...

Keep the wife! Also the boat. :D

I purchased MMS's extended warranty, bow to stern for 6 years. What I really liked was that they warranty states "video display screen" and all ballasts systems components. I'll keep this boat 3-4 years then sell it while still under warranty. Peace of mind I guess.

That's my plan too. I just ended up using the extended warranty - http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=873085#post873085. Not related to electronics! Remember the defintion of BOAT. ;) I need to ask them how much the bill would have been otherwise just to make myself happy about spending the money on the extended warranty.

ridesdirt
08-31-2012, 08:55 PM
08 X-Star has the BIG screen, pretty sure 07 was the last year for full analog (except PP).

XStar08
09-01-2012, 02:40 AM
But up to 2008 everything works fine, in my opinion just the right amount of tech features...

Jerseydave
09-01-2012, 11:04 PM
I'm sure your X-25 is really nice, but IMHO if you can make the switch to an '08 40th anniv Xstar WITH THE LY6 engine and net $20K or better, you won't look back.

Just my $.02

LOVE MY '05 XSTAR!

Jerseydave
09-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Forgot the most important part.......a pic!

The boat still turns heads were ever it goes, and everyone that wakeboards behind it loves the wake!

atthelake
09-02-2012, 08:52 PM
I am in the exact opposite situation. I have an 09 Xstar (only used one year of warranty, bought it "new" last Feb) but I am thinking about getting into a new 30, was thinking 25, but there's getting to be too many around. I'm not really sure what got me thinking this way, just something got in my head and that's that.

jcbatt
09-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Time takes its toll on boats - any boat - so no way would I go from an almost new 2012 to a 2-4 year old boat, and expect it to be better than my new one. If needed from a financial perspective, fine, but that is the only way I'd do it. If you were talking about selling to get a 2012/13 new version of a different MC, that might be a different discussion, but I don't think I'd be happy going to a 2-4 year old boat.

Also, there are many of us that have zero problems with the electronics on these. We are typically hearing from those who have had problems on these forums, not the vast silent majority of owners who have had an excellent experience. It sounds like you have had a few problems, so I understand the sentiment, but that would make me all the more want a boat in warranty. Who knows what problems the 2-4 year old boat is going to have? Just my 2 cents...

mramerman@gmail.com
09-04-2012, 03:00 PM

Me too. I miss the the "Airguide" logo. NO electronics (well, cept for a kick as sound system)