PDA

View Full Version : New Ski Club Website

TxsRiverRat
08-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Ever since I joined the Metroplex Ski Club in 2002, I was never really happy with the website on any level, be it from a content, layout or or editing perspective. I think it was as good as it could be as antiquated as it was... Over the last 10 years, the history accumulated a mile high, and there were 1000s of pics and files and pages, that archiving and downloading them would take alot of personal time. I finally decided to do something about it and several months ago started to download all the old pics, pages and files. I then set off to create a new site, which took alot of nights, and beers - sometimes falling asleep at the PC and waking up at 2 AM to work on it some more.

I wanted a site that wouldn't be hard to migrate in the future (minimal files stored on the server), would display easily on a cel phone (no flash), but had all the contacts, pics, videos and info (youtube, facebook, photobucket)... I even created a generic hotmail account which could be checked by any officer.

The result I think came out nice and I launched MSCs new website yesterday morning. The transition was seamless with no down time, the layout was so much better than before, and unbelievably was slightly less expensive than our previous provider.

Our new website is at the same address:

http://www.metroplexskiclub.com

ntidsl
08-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Those are cheap dues. I dont belong to my local club as its $1000 per family/single/couple...it doesn't matter. Ridiculously expensive every year.

TxsRiverRat
08-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Those are cheap dues. I dont belong to my local club as its $1000 per family/single/couple...it doesn't matter. Ridiculously expensive every year.

TELL MY MEMBERS THAT...

They're going to balk at a $45 across the board dues increase which will allow me to provide them all with future greatness.

mikeg205
08-28-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm movin' to fort worth... :) great dues..and looks like a fun club...

TxsRiverRat
08-28-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm movin' to fort worth... :) great dues..and looks like a fun club...

I have a blast in it... Being president this year has taken alot of work, but its not like i have anything better to do. LOL

did you guys like the website?

MC

BradleyV
08-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Cool site. Nice work on it.

Kyle
08-28-2012, 03:49 PM

I've seen places $2,500-$3,500 per year and they limit the amount of gate opportunities that you get too.

It is amazing the amount of B!TCH!NG from some members that say our dues are too high........

Let's refraise that. The complainers don't even own boats either and they even complain that $10 per set is robbery.

This is how I explain it to them.

Go to The Public lakes on a Saturday and notice a $20 ramp fee per day of use. Then go put $120 in fuel in a boat, buy drinks and snacks. Then do it all again on Sunday. Then add up the cost of maintenance, and throw in $125 per month in storage....

Then I follow up my explanation with "were you expecting a free ride, because that's not happening"

At this point I can tell that the relationship with this individual is probably going to work with me and I walk off shaking my head in disgust.

Kyle
08-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Oh MC

The site rocks

Thanks for the long hard work

mzimme
08-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Kyle, you forgot your insurance cost... in case they get hurt and sue you for taking them on a ride.

Kyle
08-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Kyle, you forgot your insurance cost... in case they get hurt and sue you for taking them on a ride.

Bwahahahaha

Very True

So add $400 per year for the el cheapo people lol

TxsRiverRat
08-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Thanks guys... I took it on as if I were building something personally...

I want to pass off a club to the next president I can say was 100% better than it was prior to when I took it on. I feel that with all the improvements I have facilitated over the last 2 years, i have built a better club. The dock, judges stand, jump, website, club regulations, safety standards, mission statement, communications, club functions, and overall blood sweat and tears has been worth it for me.

I have a few other surprises coming, I just can;t disclose them as of yet - stay tuned!

And yes, Kyle, the penny pinching by some members who feel they are entitled to club subsidized activities for such a cheap yearly dues, is astonishing... Even $5 per member spread across all members adds up fast.

As you saw with the profit I turned in our new and improved ski league... I reserved a measly $3 per set for profit, and at the end of 8 weeks it added up to $400.

MC

mzimme
08-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Hey river rat... just remember that the government built your club... not you. I'd hate for you to feel a sense of accomplishment and pride.

TxsRiverRat
08-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Hey river rat... just remember that the government built your club... not you. I'd hate for you to feel a sense of accomplishment and pride.

LMAO :D

TayMC197
08-28-2012, 05:37 PM
LMAO :D

I can't read, so more pictures would be awesome. Perhaps and albums page..

Looks good, I like it and the dues. Good job Cohen!

TxsRiverRat
08-28-2012, 05:41 PM
so u surfaced! did u drop your phone in the toilet?

all the pics are uploaded, but will not be on the site - only into the photobucket!

you come out to the september meeting, it should be alot of fun

broncotw
08-28-2012, 05:58 PM
WOW! I wish we had a chapter here in the San Antonio, Texas, area!

TxsRiverRat
08-28-2012, 06:02 PM
WOW! I wish we had a chapter here in the San Antonio, Texas, area!

THANKS MAN!

mikeg205
08-28-2012, 09:09 PM
Nice site...next time some gripes about the dues have them contact me. When I go ski it' s either $12 to launch and take out, $4 bucks for gas just to get the boat in the water...If I want the free ramp its $20 bucks in gas.. oh and my wife driving and daughter watching and short cruise on the river used about 5 gallons at $4 bucks a gallon. So it $40 bucks for me to ski...each time I go. I have been out at least 30 times.... soooooo 30 x $40 = $1200 right....tell them to stfu.... :) nicely of course... :)

Cmpdman
08-29-2012, 06:59 AM
Great site.

pmkkdx
08-29-2012, 09:41 AM
looks good!

DooSPX
08-29-2012, 10:24 AM
looks great! Congrats on all the hard work. Looks like its paying off. Wish I lived over that way :(

TxsRiverRat
08-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Thanks guys!

I had one member email yesterday and said she thought she was at the wrong site!

LOL - sweet!

TayMC197
08-29-2012, 04:39 PM
so u surfaced! did u drop your phone in the toilet?all the pics are uploaded, but will not be on the site - only into the photobucket!

you come out to the september meeting, it should be alot of fun

I considered it,you texted me when I was in the middle of dropping a cleveland steamer. I hate being disturbed. :mad:

dfmaus
08-29-2012, 05:16 PM
exactly

TxsRiverRat
08-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Nice.... LOL

I added the Broken Ski Award history onto the site today... The history is not complete, but it's alot better than it was and reformatted much nicer too.

For those that do not know - the broken ski award is given to the club member that did the most boneheaded thing that year.

The broken ski also has an artifact commemorating the event that won that member the award - here is a pic of it:

http://static.wix.com/media/9301d6_4b0565b077521f105fd99a2196638212.jpg_srz_31 6_372_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

pram
08-29-2012, 07:18 PM
Hey your new logo has a certain resemblance to the one that I drew and had decals made up from

is this a copyright infringement :D

mikeg205
08-29-2012, 07:37 PM
exactly

That's funny...turnaround is fair play!!!

TxsRiverRat
08-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Hey your new logo has a certain resemblance to the one that I drew and had decals made up from

U want $2 and you pay shipping?

LOL

tex
08-29-2012, 08:15 PM

is this a copyright infringement :D

Imagine that?

pram
08-29-2012, 08:40 PM

LOL

hahahaha

TxsRiverRat
08-29-2012, 08:44 PM
hahahaha

:D :D :D :D

SkiDog
08-29-2012, 09:08 PM

LOL

I think Pram DESERVES a FULL lifetime membership with ALL the privledges! And should NOT have to pay any shipping!

tex
08-29-2012, 09:10 PM
New club logo: Thank you to Kyle Mayer who worked with me on developing the new MSC Logo

Did you forget Pram?

Kyle
08-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Honestly I did not know the logo had a copyright on it. I also had no clue who designed it to ask permission.

Pram if this is your design and have an issue with us using it then I will have to find a new design or if there is a fee to Pay to use the design I'm sure MSC would have no problem paying for it since they have deep pockets and purchased a brand new 11k Beaman Jump surface for our show ski team.

If there is any issues please let us know.

pram
08-30-2012, 01:40 PM
I think Pram DESERVES a FULL lifetime membership with ALL the privledges! And should NOT have to pay any shipping!

listen to Eddie he is wise beyond his years

pram
08-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Honestly I did not know the logo had a copyright on it. I also had no clue who designed it to ask permission.

Pram if this is your design and have an issue with us using it then I will have to find a new design or if there is a fee to Pay to use the design I'm sure MSC would have no problem paying for it since they have deep pockets and purchased a brand new 11k Beaman Jump surface for our show ski team.

I think you missed the :D at the end of my post

Kyle
08-30-2012, 01:45 PM
I think you missed the :D at the end of my post

No I got it. I just have been blown up by members trying to say we are going to get a letter from some attorney.

I just don't want to step on anyone's toes but I also want some of the OC bag members to quit worrying.

Kyle
08-30-2012, 01:47 PM
listen to Eddie he is wise beyond his years

Ill make a proxy motion at our next meeting to give pram a free membership. Club will vote on it.

Maybe one of these years we can meet you :)

pram
08-30-2012, 01:49 PM
No I got it. I just have been blown up by members trying to say we are going to get a letter from some attorney.

I just don't want to step on anyone's toes but I also want some of the OC bag members to quit worrying.

Sorry if that caused you any undo stress or involvement from others, I only meant it as a funny

pram
08-30-2012, 01:49 PM
Ill make a proxy motion at our next meeting to give pram a free membership. Club will vote on it.

Maybe one of these years we can meet you :)

as BM would say

WHOOP WHOOP

Kyle
08-30-2012, 02:04 PM

Eddie I dont even have all of the privileges. You see we have a jump but you have to be "Jump Certified" before you are allowed to use it. So someone like myself, not having any experience jumping will NEVER be allowed to use it.

To get certified you must land 3 jumps in a row so consecutive jumps. So someone like me can't use the jump until they can land 3 jumps but where in the he|| do you practice to be able to land 3 jumps for the jump exam.

It's a total crock of Chit. I am not allowed to use a jump or plop over it but I've run -38off and I'm supositly not a qualified skier to be competent enough to ride over a jump.

So pram would have to take a jump exam before having full privileges.

pram
08-30-2012, 02:20 PM
I have jumped a tube off of a ski ramp behind the boat, does that count?

TxsRiverRat
08-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Wow - this is going downhill fast. I'm bowing out.

All I wanted to do was share my clubs new website. I did not want to start a fight...

I'm unsubscribing from this thread and if this sort of thing continues, close my account

Kyle
08-30-2012, 02:24 PM
I have jumped a tube off of a ski ramp behind the boat, does that count?

My friend I think you would either get banned or have the discipline committee come slap your hand.

Kyle
08-30-2012, 02:25 PM

All I wanted to do was share my clubs new website. I did not want to start a fight...

I'm unsubscribing from this thread and if this sort of thing continues, close my account

Calm down king tut

pram
08-30-2012, 02:31 PM

wait wait wait

I was only making a joke in the very beginning of the entire thing. I thought it was funny.

I didn't mean to upset you or anyone else

pram
08-30-2012, 02:32 PM
My friend I think you would either get banned or have the discipline committee come slap your hand.

LOL but it was a hoot to do it, well except when we mis-jugded the ramp and had to bail

there are pictures somewhere of it, I wonder if I can find them, it was before or at the very very beginning of the digital age

pram
08-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Calm down king tut

hahahahahahahahaha KING TUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he is kidding right??

Kyle
08-30-2012, 03:00 PM
hahahahahahahahaha KING TUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he is kidding right??

Pram I am getting my hand slapped by text right now. I think he's serious unfortunately.

Who knows maybe I'll get banned or have the discipline committee punish me.....

pram
08-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Pram I am getting my hand slapped by text right now. I think he's serious unfortunately.

Who knows maybe I'll get banned or have the discipline committee punish me.....

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

sorry man, I was only looking to make some humor had no idea that this would cause such a stir

Kyle
08-30-2012, 03:04 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!

sorry man, I was only looking to make some humor had no idea that this would cause such a stir

I'm not worried one bit.

People can get glad in the same pants they got mad in.

TayMC197
08-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Can't say I'm helping the issue any. I told Mark (TXRiverRat) to ban kyle, burn the jump, buy Tex a hooker in order to save us from a law suit. :o

TayMC197
08-30-2012, 03:14 PM

I think we should sink the jump to hide evidence! ;)

thatsmrmastercraft
08-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Can't say I'm helping the issue any. I told Mark (TXRiverRat) to ban kyle, burn the jump, buy Tex a hooker in order to save us from a law suit. :o

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

pram
08-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Do I still get my lifetime membership?

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

sorry I couldn't help myself

TxsRiverRat
08-30-2012, 03:22 PM
my point was that if i knew this was gonna turn into a big fiasco, i would have had the logo be this

http://s13.postimage.org/4twasxcfp/logologo.jpg

thatsmrmastercraft
08-30-2012, 03:23 PM
my point was that if i knew this was gonna turn into a big fiasco, i would have had the logo be this

http://s13.postimage.org/4twasxcfp/logologo.jpg

pram
08-30-2012, 03:27 PM
I just don't see where the fiasco is coming in from????

I poked a little fun (or at least what I thought was fun) at this with no ill meanings towards you or anyone else

mzimme
08-30-2012, 03:30 PM
As someone not affiliated with any of this... I see no fiasco. Nobody's mad up in hurr.

LakeWorth
08-30-2012, 03:30 PM
The website looks great! I really should join. Maybe next season.....

TxsRiverRat
08-30-2012, 03:31 PM
The website looks great! I really should join. Maybe next season.....

We'd love to have you - email me any questions you may have

tex
08-30-2012, 03:51 PM

I beleive the jump surface was purchased for the entire club and skiing 38 off helps your jumping how? Great humor!

TxsRiverRat
08-30-2012, 04:10 PM
I beleive the jump surface was purchased for the entire club and skiing 38 off helps your jumping how? Great humor!

Let it go

Please

pmkkdx
08-30-2012, 04:46 PM
I just went back and looked at the pricing ... whoa, that is cheap!!! I am guessing this is all on public access waterways/lakes???

TxsRiverRat
08-30-2012, 05:07 PM
I just went back and looked at the pricing ... whoa, that is cheap!!! I am guessing this is all on public access waterways/lakes???

Not exactly.

On one site, we have exclusive water sports rights. Fishermen, kayakers, are allowed, but no PWCs; and no other waterski related activities are permitted unless you're a club member. The other site is completely private. We maintain an extensive set of bylaws, operating code and rules of engagement in order to maintain a level of fairness, safety, sanity and good sportsmanship.

MC

tex
08-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Let it go

Please

Just making a single point. Have a great day!

pmkkdx
08-30-2012, 07:43 PM
if not public access (other than fishing & kayaking, little wake produced from those typically), that is extremely cheap!!!

Traxx822
08-30-2012, 08:01 PM
exactly

that photo is f in great.

TayMC197
08-30-2012, 08:11 PM
Just making a single point. Have a great day!

Last time you made a single point you had a kid. Be very careful.. It's a fertile season!

snork
08-30-2012, 08:53 PM
I sure miss North Lake

tex
08-31-2012, 04:05 PM
Last time you made a single point you had a kid. Be very careful.. It's a fertile season!

I have a feeling that this is not an issue!

pram
10-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Hey, where's the logo:noface::mad:

Kyle
10-13-2012, 03:14 AM
Hey, where's the logo:noface::mad:

Pram I'll shoot you straight because I have nothing to loose.

You see we have a lot of people who like to complain about everything in the club and I mean everyting. That being said due to "YOUR" logo being a "copyright", "plagiarism", "not having permission" blah blah blah the club went back to the old 70's ghey deluxe logo.

I see you are mad and shaking your head.

If you think the Ski Club should use "YOUR" logo then please feel fee to email them.

Also feel free to tell them that the 1970's style logo went out of style like 30 years ago. :mad:

Kyle
10-13-2012, 03:50 AM
I think we should sink the jump to hide evidence! ;)

This was posted 8-30-12

What is funny is the show team sank the portable jump at the Labor Day show that was 3 or 4 days after that post.

We have yet to find who is at fault for the sinking. Maybe the entire show team should get the BSA award this year.

TayMC197
10-13-2012, 10:35 AM
It was just a comment, I wasn't involved. I got witnesses!

tex
10-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Pram I'll shoot you straight because I have nothing to loose.

You see we have a lot of people who like to complain about everything in the club and I mean everyting. That being said due to "YOUR" logo being a "copyright", "plagiarism", "not having permission" blah blah blah the club went back to the old 70's ghey deluxe logo.

I see you are mad and shaking your head.

If you think the Ski Club should use "YOUR" logo then please feel fee to email them.

Also feel free to tell them that the 1970's style logo went out of style like 30 years ago. :mad:

First-I started the complaining and would not say that I have a history of complaining. I too will shoot straight since I have nothing to lose! Kyle you and Mark you have been the ones complaining about our logo for years. This being said I would hope that someone would come up with an original one. My problem with Pram's is two fold...1-No offense Pram but I feel it's not much of an upgrade of what we have and second-I would hope we could come up with one that's an original. Save me the crap of saying, "well do it yourself" because I'm not a graphic artist! Just want something that is not a copy!

tex
10-13-2012, 12:19 PM
.....and the jump sinking-We have the responsible people I.D'd and I was standing on shore! It was funny once we got it off the bottom of the lake!

bobx1
10-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Sounds like you Dallas boys need to sit down with Obama and have a beer.

tex
10-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Sounds like you Dallas boys need to sit down with Obama and have a beer.

Fort Worth sir!

Kyle
10-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Ok I'll fix our club logo.

About as original as it gets

:D :D :D

pram
10-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Do you guys have an aerial view of the lake? You could start with that, overlay the Texas flag with a silhouette of a ski pyramid or a slalom skier then the words of the ski club??

tex
10-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Ok I'll fix our club logo.

About as original as it gets

:D :D :D

It's cute!

Kyle
10-13-2012, 03:24 PM
It's cute!

I know.....

The only thing that would make it better would be if I wore a costume like yall wear while playing dress up and skiing around :D

tex
10-13-2012, 04:11 PM
I know.....

The only thing that would make it better would be if I wore a costume like yall wear while playing dress up and skiing around :D

Nice gloves!

Kyle
10-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Nice gloves!

tex
10-13-2012, 05:38 PM

In a wonderful mood and you?

Kyle
10-13-2012, 05:43 PM
In a wonderful mood and you?

About to head to the 3rd bday party of the day and have some beers and watch some more football.

I'd rather be skiing

Kyle
10-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Yo Tex

When can you watch me land 3 jumps and maybe give me a tip or two.

Seriously

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
10-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Hey guys how about this old bulletin I have in my binder, yes my boat was in the metroplex ski club years ago.lol