PDA

View Full Version : Oil consumption of a MCX

Fab
08-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Hi guys,

Few days ago the low oil pressure alarm went off several times while cruising back to the dock and after checking the dipstick I found it in the VERY low range...I added around 2L (0.5 gal for you yankees) !!!

I was quite disapointed as the dealer told me that he did a complete checkout of the boat this winter but now I have some doubt about them...the dealer tech said that the MCX could drink around 1l (0.25gal) at every 50hrs, and we put around 100hrs to the boat this summer...

That sounds a HUGE oil consumption for me, what do you think ? Do i have to *****slap my dealer or is he true ?!

mzimme
08-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Just for clarification, us Yanks fill oil by the quart, not gallon ;)

JimN
08-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Hi guys,

Few days ago the low oil pressure alarm went off several times while cruising back to the dock and after checking the dipstick I found it in the VERY low range...I added around 2L (0.5 gal for you yankees) !!!

I was quite disapointed as the dealer told me that he did a complete checkout of the boat this winter but now I have some doubt about them...the dealer tech said that the MCX could drink around 1l (0.25gal) at every 50hrs, and we put around 100hrs to the boat this summer...

That sounds a HUGE oil consumption for me, what do you think ? Do i have to *****slap my dealer or is he true ?!

You put 2l in, used it about 100 hours and said the tech told you it uses about 1l for every 50 yours. What he told you and what you did completely agree- what's the problem? The fact that it uses oil or the information they offered?

If he said it uses 1l every 50 hours, you or someone else should have checked it at, or before, 50 hours of use.

How do you run the boat- high speed often, or seldom? If you run it at high speed often, it will use more oil. Cars and trucks only run at high speed when the driver accelerates hard when entering a highway or if they generally think they're Parnelli Jones. Since cars and trucks have a transmission, they seldom need to run at high RPM for long periods.

JimN
08-28-2012, 11:45 AM

Using quarts of oil is for suckers. Not only is it more expensive, it takes longer. Look for oil in gallons or 5 qt jugs.

mzimme
08-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Using quarts of oil is for suckers. Not only is it more expensive, it takes longer. Look for oil in gallons or 5 qt jugs.

Well yeah, but you still fill it by the quart. You don't tell yourself you're going to put 1.25 gallons in your boat do ya? Its 5 quarts! :D

ntidsl
08-28-2012, 12:03 PM
No debate here gents...he's trying find out if the boat "consumes" oil at the rate described and if its normal. I don't know the answer either. Seems he is burning approx a quart per 50 hours. Is that normal?

JRW160
08-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Shouldn't you be changing the oil every 50hrs anyway?

davidstan
08-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Mostly slalom ski and yes we are probably a little more than 1 qt per 50 hrs. Our RTP did not use much at all in fact we never added because an oil change would be needed before we got close to being low.

MattsCraft
08-28-2012, 01:45 PM
I check my oil fairly often, now have about 350 hours on it, average about 75 hours/year. I would say since new I add about 1 to 2 quarts/year. If I am low at all, 1/4 to 1/2 quart, I add... '09 MCX. I buy by the gallon (4 quarts)

JimN
08-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Well yeah, but you still fill it by the quart. You don't tell yourself you're going to put 1.25 gallons in your boat do ya? Its 5 quarts! :D

I don't care about how many ounces, qts, or gallons I put in- I just make sure it's at the line. It's always somewhere between 160 and 192 oz, anyway.:D

GoneBoatN
08-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Hi guys,

... Do i have to *****slap my dealer or is he true ?!...

First, I would re-think my relationship with the person you're counting on to take good care of your boat.

Moving on,

I would think your oil usage will depend upon the age (hours) and condition (maintenance) of your engine. If you are not changing the oil at the perscribed intervals (50 hours) you are asking for problems. If you did not change your oil for 100 hours, I would have thought that you would have burnt off more.

What your mechanic told you does not sound that out of line if you run your boat hard (high RPMs, lots of deep water starts w/heavy ballast....). I take it that you don't have oil going to places it should not - no oil slick around the boat, no oil in the bilge, no blue smoke coming out the exhaust...

You should be checking your engine oil and transmission fluid every outing.

If you're suspecting an issue with oil consumption, your first step is most likely a compression check. It's not that hard to do yourself and you get to learn something about your engine.

tr6coug
08-28-2012, 02:33 PM
I put in about a quart every 30 - 40 hrs. At first I was concerned about this, but I called both my dealer's service guys and Indmar technicians and they both said that this amount of consumption is normal. My buddy has an '03 MCX and his consumes less oil than mine. Another buddy has an '03 RTP and his consumes almost none in a season. I think some engines just consume more than others.

Fab
08-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Thx for the inputs guys...

So...usually we put around 50hrs each season on the boat but that's our first year with my 08' X2 so that's why we'r often out on the lake this year and close to 100hrs this summer...Oil is changed every winter...

And yes we mostly wake and surf with ballast, would not say sacked out but still some ballasts around so it's normal to burn some oil right ?!

And by the way no leak anywhere...

I was very surprised to add so much oil that's why I asked here...

sand2snow22
08-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Indmar just came out with a statement about loaded down boats and oil consumption. Check it:

http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?10460-Note-from-Indmar-Change-your-oil!

jafo9
08-28-2012, 05:13 PM
thanks for the link. might have to change the oil a bit more often.

willyt
08-28-2012, 05:16 PM
I check my oil fairly often, now have about 350 hours on it, average about 75 hours/year. I would say since new I add about 1 to 2 quarts/year. If I am low at all, 1/4 to 1/2 quart, I add... '09 MCX. I buy by the gallon (4 quarts)

matt,
i just blew past you in hours, i turned 500 this weekend. will probably see 225 by season's end.

I honestly dont check the oil as often as i should, i thought we really should not be using any oil at all... my 05 MCX never seemed to use any oil at all.

I will say that 5,700 lbs of ballast is a CRAPTON of ballast, thats double what i normally run in a star....

mzimme
08-28-2012, 05:19 PM
I was always curious on these wake boats... do they rate their load capacity on top of full ballast? If that little number plate says it holds 18 people, or 2300 lbs or whatever, is that on top of a sacked out boat? I can't imagine seeing an x55 with 18 people in and full ballast.

People talk about dumping 2000 lbs of ballast in their boat on the regular, does each pound of ballast eliminate 1 pound of person that your boat is "safe" for?

jafo9
08-28-2012, 05:22 PM
my impression is that the ballast is considered extra weight and if you fill 1000lbs of ballast, you'll need to subtract that from the load rating.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Thx for the inputs guys...

So...usually we put around 50hrs each season on the boat but that's our first year with my 08' X2 so that's why we'r often out on the lake this year and close to 100hrs this summer...Oil is changed every winter...

And yes we mostly wake and surf with ballast, would not say sacked out but still some ballasts around so it's normal to burn some oil right ?!

And by the way no leak anywhere...

I was very surprised to add so much oil that's why I asked here...

The oil stilll needs to be changed at 50 hours not just at winter time...

XtwentyNot
08-28-2012, 06:07 PM
One gallon of 50 hour oil, maybe 55. glad I change it regularly.

Fab
08-28-2012, 06:13 PM
The oil stilll needs to be changed at 50 hours not just at winter time...

Yup we'r so used to do around 50hrs each year but that's the first season with the boat and we have been using it a lot, time for a checkout...

trickskier
08-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Yup we'r so used to do around 50hrs each year but that's the first season with the boat and we have been using it a lot, time for a checkout...

Do you check the oil level on the dip stick before each use? Because it doesn't sound like you do.......

Fab
08-29-2012, 05:50 AM
Well honestly I didn't think the MCX could eat so much oil, actually we are so used to diesel vehicles here in EU which almost never eat oil...

Do you check oil level before each use ? I have a bick check list before each use but I don't always check oil for sure, but is everybody doing this ?!

Anyway thx for the tips so it could be a normal consumption !

XtwentyNot
08-29-2012, 01:16 PM
I would check all fluids every 10 hours, maybe let it go 15.

trickskier
08-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Well honestly I didn't think the MCX could eat so much oil, actually we are so used to diesel vehicles here in EU which almost never eat oil...

Do you check oil level before each use ? I have a bick check list before each use but I don't always check oil for sure, but is everybody doing this ?!

Anyway thx for the tips so it could be a normal consumption !

Yes - I always check the engine oil level, transmission oil level, air pressure in my all of my tires, wheel seals on trailer, check tires for side wall seperation, turn the ignition on to make sure the battery is charged, and all lights must be working before I leave the house. This takes all of about 10 minutes, but I've never broken down on a trip to the lake nor has my boat ever failed to start once I get there. If you think I'm making this up, just ask anyone who knows me - I'm anal when it comes to my boat & vehicles.

I have an MCX Engine in my 06' X-1 and I can assure you that the consumption of oil that you're describing is no where near normal. My MCX Engine has almost 600 hours on it and when I change oil, I get 5+ quarts out of the crank case.

GoneBoatN
08-30-2012, 02:34 AM
My feeling is that your amount of oil consumption can be explained by not changing the oil at least at the perscribed interval of 50 hours.

Your running a gasoline boat not a diesel car - different usage characteristics so you can not compare. I'm pretty sure if I drove around town mashing the petal to the floor, only running in 3rd gear gear, traveling only up hill all the time and ran my oil for 10000 miles instead of 5000, I'm pretty sure I would be burning some oil. I'm not being sarcastic; just trying to make a point.

Change your oil every 50 hours (or less). Note what amount of oil you burn off in that period and then think about this again.

Yes, I check the oil with each time I use the boat. Typically this is at the end of the use. I'f I've been using the boat the entire day then I tend to check it during the lunch time swim break as well, so actually twice sometimes.

For me, I would say that I use less than 1/2 quart in the 50 hours but I'm guessing at that as I end up adding only a few ounces here and there over that time period.

mikeg205
08-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Yes - I always check the engine oil level, transmission oil level, air pressure in my all of my tires, wheel seals on trailer, check tires for side wall seperation, turn the ignition on to make sure the battery is charged, and all lights must be working before I leave the house. This takes all of about 10 minutes, but I've never broken down on a trip to the lake nor has my boat ever failed to start once I get there. If you think I'm making this up, just ask anyone who knows me - I'm anal when it comes to my boat & vehicles.

I have an MCX Engine in my 06' X-1 and I can assure you that the consumption of oil that you're describing is no where near normal. My MCX Engine has almost 600 hours on it and when I change oil, I get 5+ quarts out of the crank case.

^^+ 1 - I do the same thing... never had maintenance related issue on water. With loads and hard accelerations we put on these engines we should always check oil after each use....unless you don't have the OCD MC. Oil is cheap...especially in the 4.73 liter jug.

treiter
08-30-2012, 09:50 AM
This summer I have put 70 hours on my X-15 with an MCX and did not have any noticeable oil consumption. +1 on the regular checks.

Thrall
08-30-2012, 01:30 PM
I don't think it's related to just missing one oil change.
My MCX with only about 150hrs on it, for some reason used almost a qt in 30hrs this year.
This engine has had 5 or 6 oil changes in about 120 hrs.
Last year it used hardly any in about 25 hrs of use.
My LT1 never used any oil in my PS 190.
I've had ALOT of Chevy 350 engines over the years in various vehicles and a couple have used oil, most didn't. Did not affect longevity.
It may just be the brand of oil you're using, or it may just use a little oil.
My Cummins will use oil if I have Rotella in it, but hardly any oil consumption with Valvoline Blue or Delo.
My buddy has a Dodge 5.7 Hemi in his pickup. It uses oil if he uses Mobil 1. Doesn't use oil if he uses dino oil.

Coincidently this is the 1st year I've used Valvoline Blue 15-40 in the boat. Haven't checked it since the last couple trips, not sure if it's still using oil.

pram
08-30-2012, 01:44 PM

what if your south of the mason-dixon?

pram
08-30-2012, 01:47 PM
One gallon of 50 hour oil, maybe 55. glad I change it regularly.

I would like to have oil like that tested against new to see the difference

is dark oil much of an indicator as to it's level of effectiveness?

XtwentyNot
08-30-2012, 02:57 PM
I would like to have oil like that tested against new to see the difference

is dark oil much of an indicator as to it's level of effectiveness?

I want to send a sample but haven't. Only a lab can tell me and I'm very curious about fuel % as I can smell it. I'm sure ballast/low rpm's is one of the culprits as is idling/cold starts. I'm wondering how much cylinder washing I'm getting surfing!

Quinten
08-31-2012, 11:57 AM
I don't understand what is different witch european engines, even cars. You guys change oil in 10000 miles, we do regular checks every 30000 kilometers so 19000 miles. Why???

mzimme
08-31-2012, 12:08 PM
I don't understand what is different witch european engines, even cars. You guys change oil in 10000 miles, we do regular checks every 30000 kilometers so 19000 miles. Why???

We change oil every 3k...

Oil breaks down, gets dirty, gets burnt off, etc. Some of the sythetics I've let go for as long as 15k miles in my car, but I check the oil regularly to make sure it looks good and levels are correct. Filters need to be changed as well.

Quinten
09-03-2012, 09:34 AM
We change oil every 3k...

Oil breaks down, gets dirty, gets burnt off, etc. Some of the sythetics I've let go for as long as 15k miles in my car, but I check the oil regularly to make sure it looks good and levels are correct. Filters need to be changed as well.

But if you juse synthetic oil it won't brake down. Ok a few gets burnd but not enouhg to get at a minimum level.

JimN
09-03-2012, 10:20 AM
But if you juse synthetic oil it won't brake down. Ok a few gets burnd but not enouhg to get at a minimum level.

It still breaks down, but it takes much longer under normal circumstances. Overheat badly/often enough and it still loses its ability to lubricate as well as when it was new.