PDA

View Full Version : PRAY!!! Pics included

skishack90
08-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Pray for the gulf coast!!! I almost lost this, pics included...

I moved to central Florida about 3 months ago. I used to live in Pass Christian, Mississippi and lost everything in Katrina. Anyway, this storm is no Katrina but it will cause damage.
I had a small ski school and loved it there but left because I did not want to deal with hurricanes my whole life.

Be thankful for what you have, because right now, I am being reminded of what I could have lost. With this being a Mastercraft forum, I will post pics of the material things that could be in a lot of danger right now, but as well all know, there are many other "things" we need to be thankful for (so I'll include the dog and fiance)...Thank God I moved!!!

houtexX30
08-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Soooo....You moved to central florida to avoid hurricanes??

skishack90
08-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Yes, I live in Eustis, 30 minutes north of Orlando. I did my research and there has not been a hurricane in the past century that has done anything more than knock down a tree in my neighborhood. Even the Category 4 that came through. I am in a neighborhood that has a lot of hills and we are tucked away hillside. Thanks for the smart comment though. I am asking people to be thankful for what we have, not to question my reasons for moving. If you know anything about the Mississippi gulf coast, you would know that Eustis is much safer!

scott023
08-28-2012, 08:57 AM
You're a lucky man. Great boats, great looking wife and dog.

skishack90
08-28-2012, 09:02 AM
Thank you Scott. Let's just say that my insurance treated me fairly after hurricane Katrina blew my house to the ground.

tideengineer
08-28-2012, 09:12 AM
I have been through several being close to the panhandle (60 miles directly north of Destin). I also work for Generation and Transmission Power Company. Opal was still a cat 2 or 3 hurricane when it came over our town. Devastating. Ivan and Dennis were very ugly to us also. I did helicopter recon for transmission lines after Dennis and Katrina. Hunker down and be safe to all.

Redstorm
08-28-2012, 09:14 AM
What did you have prior?

Any Pics?

Traxx822
08-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Thank you Scott. Let's just say that my insurance treated me fairly after hurricane Katrina blew my house to the ground.

Looks like you were pretty smart yourself with the money

houtexX30
08-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Yes, I live in Eustis, 30 minutes north of Orlando. I did my research and there has not been a hurricane in the past century that has done anything more than knock down a tree in my neighborhood. Even the Category 4 that came through. I am in a neighborhood that has a lot of hills and we are tucked away hillside. Thanks for the smart comment though. I am asking people to be thankful for what we have, not to question my reasons for moving. If you know anything about the Mississippi gulf coast, you would know that Eustis is much safer!

I will admit, I don't know much about the Mississippi gulf coast. I have been in houston my entire life and have had many experiences with hurricanes and tropical storms. I totally got the reason for your post but couldn't help but see the irony in moving to one of the most hurricane prone states...to avoid dealing with hurricanes. I know several people whose houses on bolivar were completely leveled by the storm surge from Ike. One friend even tried to ride it out. His body has never been found. You are a lucky dude judging by your pics and hopefully you never have to re-build your entire life again. I do know that it is always a possibility when you live near the gulf, you just take your chances and hope for the best. The only thing you can do is prepare..well. I wasn't seriously trying to question your reason for moving, I am just a smarta$$ by nature.. especially early in the AM

skishack90
08-28-2012, 03:00 PM
No worries, Houston. We all can be iffy in the morning. In Mississippi, I was on a bayou about 400 yards from the beach. I am now on a lake with surrounding hills. We are actually about 200 feet above sea level. I can definitely see the irony in my choice to move. I guess you would have to see where we are now compared to where we used to be to understand how much safer we are now. No flood concern, no storm surge...those are the things I am thankful for. I am a southerner by birth, am engaged to a yankee (Haha), but would never want to leave the south. I figured my safest way to continue my lifestyle would to be as far inland as possible. I also surf and sail avidly, so having the coast within an hour away is a plus.

And yes Traxx, I made a few wise investments that are paying off.

Redstorm, I owned a 2003 Malibu Wakesetter before I owned the Mastercrafts. In my experience, the Malibu was terrible compared to my new boats. I have never had problems with either the X-Star or Prostar, but I am extremely anal with them.
I do not have digital pics of the boat or house but I will try to scan them onto the computer and post them. The Wakesetter was perched 15 feet in the air in pine trees after Katrina. The house had 26 feet of water in it. That is before it crumbled.

Engineer, I hope you are safe and sound and would also like to thank you for your volunteer work. You keep the world going around.

I KNOW EVERYONE HERE LOVES PICS SO I HOPE Y'ALL ENJOY

Redstorm
08-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Good always comes From bad..........you ended up with MC! :dance:
Your saying your ins. Also gave you a wife and a dog? Lol ..JK

Glad to see things worked out for you!