PDA

View Full Version : Engine turns over but no start

GoneBoatN
08-27-2012, 11:15 PM
Had the boat out last Tuesday, ran fine, put it away happy.

Today, planned an afternoon trip to the Delta to do some wakeboarding as it was the last day before the kids go back to school tomorrow. Clear skys, mild winds, nice temps and flat water mostly to ourselves - so was the plan. Put boat in water, still on trailer, starter turns over the engine but no start. Not even a sputter. The fuel pump is a high possibility as I can always here it prime the engine when I turn the key - not today. 185 hours on the engine. Never run below 1/4 tank - never!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhh! :mad: 1st time in 5 years of boating I've had a non-start. Yes, a relative newbe, but trying my best.

Boat is at the dealer for diagnostics. They say they should be able to look at it tomorrow. Good guys as the holiday is coming up and they got four boat in just today to work on.

Well the boat is just shy of two years old plus I have the extended warranty - oh well. I'll have to make up for it by planning some additional outings.

peason
08-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Good luck! Hopefully it will get fixed this week!

mikeg205
08-27-2012, 11:37 PM
ok... safety lanyard on correctly? have to ask...

GoneBoatN
08-28-2012, 12:42 AM
Safety lanyard OK. In fact it also kills the starter if removed.

Checked the fuse for the fuel pump (switched it with the starter since that one was obviously good).

I unplugged and re-inserted the relay. Hard to check without a volt-meter.

Unplugged and re-attached connectors to fuel pump - seem good.

I thought about it afterwards, that it could be a no-spark condition as well. But I go back to the fact that I could aways here the fuel pump prime the engine when turning on the ignition but not anymore.

It be nice to have it back for an mid-week evening. I'm not one to take the boat out holiday weekends so I'm not worried about this weekend.

They said they could look at it tomorrow. I'm keeping the faith...

bturner2
08-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Since you have the extended warranty taking it to the dealer is the only way to go IMO. I'm willing to bet it's a fuel pump. The best way to check would be to get a gauge on the fuel rail and check the fuel pressure. Mine would prime but the pressure was very low. Changed out the pump and two years later we're still gold. I now carry a fuel pump kit that I made up just in case. The problem with the pump failure is they just seem to give up without warning.

Just another thought..... Fuel gauges on boats are notorious for being inaccurate. Unless you're actually looking at the tank to see the quarter tank reading you could actually be closer to empty than you think.

I'm sure they'll get you back in shape before the weekend.

GoneBoatN
08-28-2012, 11:58 AM
...Just another thought..... Fuel gauges on boats are notorious for being inaccurate. Unless you're actually looking at the tank to see the quarter tank reading you could actually be closer to empty than you think...

Typical fuel guage. I only read it while at a stop and boat is level. Plus when I get below 1/2 tank on the guage I do a visual by pulling the center rear seat cushion which makes the rear end of the gas tank clearly visable. When I'm at a 1/4 tank it's more like 1/3 or more. When I fill up I never have been able to put more than 28 gallons in the 45 gallon tank.

I called the shop from the lake. After the required sanity questions they said bring it in. The dealer is on the way home. When I got there the service manager let me know that although they don't have that fuel pump in stock there are a couple already in shipment to them. So I would guess I'll be without boat for at least a couple of days.

bturner2
08-28-2012, 01:03 PM
I do the same checking levels. Mine doesn't even move until it's a quarter down then it drops like a rock. My 95 Maristar was the only boat I've owned that actually worked.

Based on the dealer response I'd venture to say he has a good idea where the probelm is......

GoneBoatN
08-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Got the boat back yesterday afternoon. Not bad given that it is the holiday weekend coming up. The wiring running from the engine harness to the fuel pump was the issue. It was burnt up near the connector on the engine harness side. The mechanic showed me the old wiring connector and said that the new one looked of a much heavier gauge wire.

bturner2
08-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Wow that's scary. Wiring burnt up at the connector near the tank. Thank goodness you didn't have any gas fumes in the bilge.

ntidsl
08-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Thus the reason you dont just start replacing fuel pumps!!! Great example of not throwing money at the problem. Glad it worked out! Its so easy for people to blame the fuel pump, especially on a forum.

mikeg205
08-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Got the boat back yesterday afternoon. Not bad given that it is the holiday weekend coming up. The wiring running from the engine harness to the fuel pump was the issue. It was burnt up near the connector on the engine harness side. The mechanic showed me the old wiring connector and said that the new one looked of a much heavier gauge wire.

??? fried wire? that's scary... considering it rain before... I know too small a guage causes wires to overheat - but fry? I would try to track down what happened - which could be tough.

GoneBoatN
08-29-2012, 02:26 PM
??? fried wire? that's scary... considering it rain before... I know too small a guage causes wires to overheat - but fry? I would try to track down what happened - which could be tough.

At least I know what to keep an eye on...

g-Dog
08-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Was it the wiring directly connected to the fuel pump...or was it further down the line near the relay?