PDA

View Full Version : possible prospect, but rock damage

strad
08-27-2012, 08:26 PM
It's an 84. I have a relative who can handle the fiberglass repair (auto body man). I'm concerned about the area immediately aft of the strut. Also would welcome any other suggestions on things to check. We (my father in law is the body man) are both pretty mechanically inclined and like I said he's an expert on pretty much anything body related. Just try and mention some things you don't think would occur to us hehe.

Price is good (taking into account the damage and cost to have somebody fix), boat looks to be in otherwise nice condition. Prop is bent. Owner says he hit a submerged rock and that is the source of the damage. Boat is about 600 miles from me but I'm going to be close to it this weekend on a previously planned trip.

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz212/mgheffner/306850_455220441165639_1089838987_n.jpg

sand2snow22
08-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Take it for a test drive. Shaft, strut might be bent, too!!!

strad
08-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Yeah that's true. atm it has a bent prop so I'm sure there's going to be a lot of vibration just from that. Dunno if this is a project that is test-drivable in the current condition.

Would checking for free rotation of prop and shaft be a good test for eliminating/minimizing a bent shaft or strut? Obviously if it binds we have a problem. If it doesn't bind would that mean we probably don't have a problem?

FrankSchwab
08-27-2012, 10:08 PM
You might be able to check for shaft straightness on the boat with a runout gauge. If the propshaft is hitting the side of the shaft log (can't really tell from the picture), then the strut is surely bent; if it isn't, it may still be bent. Need to seperate the coupler from the transmission to know for sure.

Binding or not binding won't help; many boats aren't well aligned from the factory and it requires two hands and a hefty oomph to move the prop, even with a straight shaft and strut. Mine takes about two fingers. Without knowing how much it took to rotate it before the strike, you're not going to know how bad it is now.

Is that a stainless steel prop, by the way? They look shiny, but transfer a lot more damage to the boat if they hit something. A nibral prop will bend itself into a pretzel much more easily, doing more damage to the $400 piece of bronze and less to the $XXXXX dollar boat.

Anyway, if I were buying it I'd just assume that you'll need a new shaft and strut. With the gelcoat cracking behind that strut, and the propstrike, it hit hard. Lot of threads on here this summer (three or four) of people with similar damage; as I remember, it's in the $1000-$1500 range to replace the whole lot. If you pull it apart and determine everything's straight, it just puts more beer in the cooler.

If the boat is watertight, you might consider checking Craigslist or EBay for a used prop for it to take with you. In 5 minutes (well, if you have a prop puller), you could swap props and be able to do a real on-the-water test. If it's a direct drive, it'll be a 13x13 IIRC, and maybe a 14x18 or so if it's a power slot. It'd probably cost you $300-$400, thought.

/frank

Cloaked
08-27-2012, 10:45 PM
I saw that on CL a day or so ago. If this is the same boat, he's asking $3k and has gotten an estimate for repair of $3k.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/3223647807.html (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/3223647807.html)

If I were buying at $3k (which is a decent price but I'd bet you can get it for $2.5k) I'd buy it and bring it home with plans to replace the driveline and repair the glass. It's not bad looking damage considering that when the driveline comes out, you will have all the room you need to have a glass guy (or you) to fix the fiberglass. It's all on the bottom so a perfect match of gel color, perfect lines, etc is not nearly as important as would be another area. That is actually some minor damage, compared to some I have seen...

I'd say it can be fixed for the estimated $3K or less and come out with a new driveline and a glass repair. Shouldn't take a long time to fix once you get started. I'd not even worry about the driveline as is now. Just figure you're getting a boat to fix and do it right without skimping... what???? a driveshaft, strut, cutlass bearing, and a prop?? And while you have the driveshaft out, a new dripless packing gland for the driveshaft? :D

I'd consider reinforcing the strut area from the inside and do cosmetic repairs on the outside. Done deal...All of that area is very easy to access from the inside of the boat. Floor comes out, fuel cell comes out, and you have all the room you need to work.

If the engine will start in the driveway, snag it and fix it... the rest of the boat looks to be in great shape from all of the pictures he posted.

I'd say you can have a new 84 MC for less than $5k.

$0.02

ted shred
08-27-2012, 11:26 PM
The spot were the prop struck the bottom is one of the thickest parts of the hull. The damage is most likely not very bad, mostly cosmetic.( been there done that).

mikeg205
08-27-2012, 11:30 PM
I think this boat is on this forum somewhere.. I remember the picture... hmmmmm

petermegan
08-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Damage doesn't look that bad but it freaks you out when you see how far the prop moved to gouge the hull!!

strad
08-28-2012, 01:06 AM
^^ yeah I've seen that kind of damage when the prop sheds a blade as well, and happens to sling it upwards. It does look like a nice boat except for the damage. I did see all the parts people are suggesting on skidim, but if I happened to need a strut, where would get one? I didn't see that anywhere. And what's the name of the prop guy I've seen recommended on here? From OJ as I recall? Can't remember his name. . .

FrankSchwab
08-28-2012, 01:29 AM
Eric at OJ Props (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=1537) would be who you're looking for. He may have a good link for where to buy; I think they do the strut as well as the props on MC boats.

Check the other threads on bent struts to get some links for parts.

/frank

FrankSchwab
08-28-2012, 01:38 AM
Here's some threads:
Prop Strike, Vibration (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48427)
Strut Removal (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=49823)
Bent Strut (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=49323)
Shaft and Strut (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=49387)

tph
08-28-2012, 01:37 PM
I would be concerned about the velvet drive Can a hit like that damage the transmission?

strad
08-28-2012, 02:46 PM
I would be concerned about the velvet drive Can a hit like that damage the transmission?

I thought of that too. Anybody with experience care to comment? Obviously if the case is cracked we're probably go to see that. I'm concerned about the internals. I'm going to make sure it fires up, sounds normal and goes into forward and reverse of course. . . and this being a former ski show boat, it might be a powerslot. What markings would be on a powerslot trans?

190 Skier
08-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Having just went thru a tranny rebuild, let me give you some numbers to factor in your repair costs if there is a issue with the velvet drive. A new one you can drop in will run you about $1650. I had mine rebuilt with all new bearings, clutches and seals for $1200. I had this done in NorCal but would think the numbers should be about the same anywhere.

strad
08-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Okay spoke with the seller and he says the shaft is bent. I asked him if the shop said anything about the strut or transmission and he said no. So if they are damaged they're not on the estimate. I asked him for pics of the inside of the hull where the strut attaches. So we'll see what comes out.

On another question, in CA, are trailers titled separately from the boat?

mikeg205
08-28-2012, 08:58 PM
yes and in some states the trailers do not need to be titled...

Cloaked
08-28-2012, 10:21 PM
yes and in some states the trailers do not need to be titled...
TN - no registration for any boat trailer. Title is optional for ownership of the trailer but not required due to no tags requirement.

strad
08-28-2012, 10:33 PM
Well Nevada says they need a title, so that's the answer there. Hopefully a title exists lol.

strad
09-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Well a progress update.

The boat is now mine. Fiberglass/gelcoat repair is done, and I just tracked down the strut -- actually called Jim at BAWS since my local MC dealer kinda said "this is the first time I've had to research a boat this old" and never got back to me. I hate that. Jim called me back in five minutes, said Mastercraft had five in stock, and one of them is now on its way here. I'm getting a shaft from ARE through skidim, and a prop is on its way from OJ.