PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new board- What to get

dmayer84
08-27-2012, 12:15 PM
So back when the 2003 boards first came out I got myself a Hyperlite Parks 138. Since I got that board I probably put on about 70 lbs and still used it and have now lost that weight and back to doing some good riding. Decided that its probably time to replace it and really don't even know what to look at these days. I do like the feel of the board, anyone have any recommendations?

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u9/dmayer84/Prop/IMG_02121.jpg

bturner2
08-27-2012, 12:28 PM
I love my Hyperlite Murray board I picked up this spring.

TheWoons
08-27-2012, 12:54 PM
I love my Slingshot boards

kgrove
08-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Well, Parks also put on about 70 lbs since 2003 so you could always keep following his path and opt for the new Parks board. The 2012 version is the Ronix Parks, but if your looking for a deal on last years model, the 2011 (as well as 5+ years prior to that) Parks board was the Ronix Ibex. They have an aggressive even abrupt rocker that not everyone likes, but my guess is the 2003 Parks you're used to did as well.

76S&S
08-27-2012, 04:08 PM
I love my Hyperlite Murray board I picked up this spring.

I second the Murray.

Another popular option is the Watson Classic.
That being said, demo if at all possible. Nothing like a little time on the board to see if you actually like it.

JustinLoFlow
08-27-2012, 06:02 PM
That being said, demo if at all possible. Nothing like a little time on the board to see if you actually like it.

Very good point. Everyone rides differently and what works for one may not work for another. Best bet is to demo before you buy. I'm not firmilier with Hyperlite or Ronix but I'm sure that he's changed the mold of his pro model. The ends of boards aren't as narrow as they used to be.

I personally have ridden a 2005 Liquid Force Substance 134 (used to be watsons pro model) which I think is now the Watson Classic. This year I'm making the switch to his new pro model, the Watson.

Traxx822
08-27-2012, 10:03 PM
I found I like Humanoid wakeboards and just bought their surfer and probably ordering their freshly chopped board soon. Also a huge fan of Gator boards but they went out of business in 2011. Great price on new old model GB's right now. Also Slingshot boards are cool and loose on the water.

dmayer84
08-27-2012, 10:59 PM
I dont think I will actually be able to demo anything around here due to the lack of shops.

I was thinking about going with his new Ronix board, but its a complete gamble. Maybe next time I'm down in FL with the wife I'll have to find a place to ride and demo.

swatguy
08-30-2012, 11:17 PM
If you could ride that old parks his new boards have a similar feel with the same bucking type launch, but will not punish you like the board you have. That old parks board killed you if you weren't spot on in body position. It was super easy to hook and get launched sideways off that old board if you came in out of whack.

His newer ronix ibex line mellowed out the really abrupt original Hyperlite 3 stage and has much softer rails than the old model meaning it won't hook or take off on you if you land off balance. The ibex line is much more forigiving. The biggest selling points of the ibex is its much wider, much more consistent off the wake, and much more forgiving for non pro riders. It still pops n bucks like an old parks board tho.

Another board in the ronix line I highly recommend is the 2011 and up mana. They changed the entire shape in 2011. It bucks and pops super hard, lands super soft and is very forgiving. It's easy to break loose and light as all heck. I haven't ridden the newest ronix parks board but the ibex I did and I preferred the mana for the landings. Both the ibex and mana have a wider footprint

46Chief
08-31-2012, 11:27 AM
I switched from a hyperlight to a Slingshot response, and really like the wood core flex style board, The biggest difference is it lands alot smoother in the flats, and when caseing wakes. Lots of good closeout deals right now slingshot hook is what I would recommend.

zpacheco
09-04-2012, 12:15 PM
I had the same parks 2003 board and it broke this past weekend. I pulled out all the set screws on a fall and cracked the fiberglass, so there is no fixing the board. I loved this board on the water the edge was amazing and it was easy to control. I'm looking at replacing it with a ronix one. what do you guys think about that board?

76S&S
09-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Most have either a love or hate relationship with the One. If possible demo before purchasing.

swatguy
09-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Yup the one is a shape not un like that parks board. It's a really rider specific board. It will not work for some and will be perfect for others. Really no guarantees at all.

deminimis
09-05-2012, 12:15 PM
+1 After doing a fair amount of research, I went with Sling Shot as well. Was going to get a Response, then I up'd it to the Hooke, then mission creep took over and ordered the Layman Pro model yesterday. We shall see. The Hooke and Response are softer (and cheaper), so like 46 suggested, might give 'em a look.

briancampbell
09-06-2012, 09:43 PM
dpends

briancampbell
09-06-2012, 09:46 PM
It depends on your style. It is not as much about the wakeboard, it is more about the rocker. If you like your boards to go fast, and jump way out into the flats, then get a wakeboard with a continuous rocker. If you like to take your tricks up really high, and go wake to wake, get a board with a three stage rocker.

dmayer84
09-06-2012, 11:46 PM
Been lookin hard at the ronix parks boards. Seeing if I can demo anywhere locally but I doubt it

zpacheco
09-07-2012, 03:53 PM
I just called the local Ronix dealer. I'm having them put a Parks board on hold for me. I plan on buying it next weekend. If the Razorbacks weren't in Little Rock, I would be there tomorrow. Anyone ridden the Parks modello that has an opinion on the board?

kgrove
09-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Anyone ridden the Parks modello that has an opinion on the board?

I haven't been able to demo it myself, but my buddy rode it and absolutely loved it. He has ridden a several year old Ibex for awhile and said the Parks was a substantial improvement. He didn't buy the Parks partly because his Ibex still works and he wanted to wait until the offseason when prices drop before considering replacement and partly because it was the only board he demoed, so while he loved it he didn't know that he loved it more than he would have loved other boards that were also a few years newer in design than his Ibex.

Quick summary: good board, but demo it yourself first if you can.